Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

5 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

It has to be said, the men's team's communications during this whole player dispute have demonstrated a degree of contempt toward the CPL, I'm not entirely sure that hiring a CPL coach would go over all that well.

I don't think that the CSA is capable of complex ideas/thoughts. Nor are they able to project such things. 

35 minutes ago, costarg said:

Not if Tenaldo was part of the teams and strategies the past 12 months.  I was a big fan of his, I always assumed he was the mastermind behind the tactics we were using the past few years.  But we went off the rails after WCQ and never got back.  Who ever was part of that and supported it also needs to go.  Not sure where Biello stands in all of that.  

Biello has been there the entire time so should take as much blame as anyone else. Seems they had to keep someone around to steady the ship for a transition. 

Just hope this isn’t an Earl Cochrane situation, where CSA does a “global” search only to stick with Biello. 

Think we need a fresh start completely. 

55 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Tenllado is a loss.

43 minutes ago, costarg said:

Not if Tenaldo was part of the teams and strategies the past 12 months.

What calls did Herdman make that Tenllado disagreed with? When did Tenllado make a call that Herdman disagreed with? I think this board generally likes Tenllado (myself included) because he is an unknown and we can't pin any particular mistake on him.

I'm not happy to see him go but I'm not crestfallen either.

However, for the sake of our corner kicks, there is another name on that list that I'm happy to see depart ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

9 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

It has to be said, the men's team's communications during this whole player dispute have demonstrated a degree of contempt toward the CPL, I'm not entirely sure that hiring a CPL coach would go over all that well.

It would probably be disastrous, regardless of how good the coach is.

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What calls did Herdman make that Tenllado disagreed with? When did Tenllado make a call that Herdman disagreed with? I think this board generally likes Tenllado (myself included) because he is an unknown and we can't pin any particular mistake on him.

I'm not happy to see him go but I'm not crestfallen either.

However, for the sake of our corner kicks, there is another name on that list that I'm happy to see depart ;)

Top 10 reasons I'm more than ok with today's announcement.

1- corner kicks

2- set pieces in general (offensive and defensive)

3- The 3-5-2

4- Davies in a libero attacking role/hero ball

5- Brym at '60,

6- "fuck Croatia" lack of professionalism and class

7- "I want winners in top 5 leagues..... like Brym and Fraser".

8- Arfield

9- 3D chess / playing guys out of position

10- I still like the guy, he was perfect at the moment.  He reached his peak, couldn't go any further without serious resentment setting in. 

Just putting this in this thread too as my contribution to the discussion (you're welcome):

“Yes, there would be a national team [I'd be interested in managing], but now it’s premature.  Certainly not for this World Cup. World Cup 2026, why not? Could be. Canada? I’d love to, sure. Canada did very well."

- Carlo Ancelotti

11 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Just putting this in this thread too as my contribution to the discussion (you're welcome):

“Yes, there would be a national team [I'd be interested in managing], but now it’s premature.  Certainly not for this World Cup. World Cup 2026, why not? Could be. Canada? I’d love to, sure. Canada did very well."

- Carlo Ancelotti

Ah yes, the fantasy that some people are about to be rudely jolted out of.

15 minutes ago, GasPed said:

- Carlo Ancelotti

begging no money GIF

17 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Ah yes, the fantasy that some people are about to be rudely jolted out of.

I can imagine it.  De Vos picks up his company-provided iPhone 6s, googles the Bernabeu customer service line, gets put on-hold for an hour, and then leaves a message like "Carlo, it's happened, your ship has come in.  Call me.  Oh yes, it's Jason.  De Vos.  D-E-V-O-S.  From Canada.  I, uh, know Phonzie Davies... ...like uh, personally.  So yeah, uh, call me.  Cuz it's important...  ...Oh, never mind."   

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Not if Tenaldo was part of the teams and strategies the past 12 months.  I was a big fan of his, I always assumed he was the mastermind behind the tactics we were using the past few years.  But we went off the rails after WCQ and never got back.  Who ever was part of that and supported it also needs to go.  Not sure where Biello stands in all of that.  

I can definitely imagine Herman's ego getting in the way of good advice.

With the CSA/CSB/CPL connection, i wouldn't be shocked if we get a current CPL manager as the next head coach. Northern Futbol mentioned that some of the current CMNT players are still close with Gheisar from their time together.

The top 3 candidates in my mind would be Smyrniotis, Wheelman, and Gheisar. The current CMNT players that they played a role in developing are below.

Smyrniotis:Sigma/Forge: Laryea, Larin, Buchanan

Wheeldon: Foothills/Cavalry: Zator, Loturi, Adekugbe (not sure if they were there at the same time), Waterman

Gheisar: Vaughan/Halifax: St. Clair, Miller, Johnston, Kaye (while at York University)

1 hour ago, costarg said:

True, but during WCQ Tenllado was right next to JH on the sidelines and was conferring with him often and based on hand gestures it was tactics.. Then at the WC it was JH only. I noticed the same situation at NL and GC. I wasn't at the games but watching on TV, so I may have missed him, but there was no sign of Tenllado near the field. Lets see if he moves to TFC with JH.

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

True, but during WCQ Tenllado was right next to JH on the sidelines and was conferring with him often and based on hand gestures it was tactics.. Then at the WC it was JH only. I noticed the same situation at NL and GC. I wasn't at the games but watching on TV, so I may have missed him, but there was no sign of Tenllado near the field. Lets see if he moves to TFC with JH.

Exactly!  Did JH stop listening?  Did he ask him to sit down?  Did he run out of ideas? 

All I know is we were playing great while Tenllado was in his ear.  We stopped playing well when Tenllado was not in his ear anymore.  I feel it's more than coincidence.

Edited by costarg

54 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Ancelotti is expected to become the next manager of Brazil in 2024 anyway 

Actually there is a buzz out of Brazil that it may not be happening. Just saying 

They love Fernando Diniz down in Brazil

I say hire Davide Ancelotti as the interim coach and make Carlo a 2 year offer Copa America- World Cup

Boom.. there my best George Castanza impression

Edited by SpursFlu

I have a hard time seeing today's developments as a bad thing. It's especially difficult to reconcile with many of these same poster's opinions of Herdman during Qatar and the recent NL and GC matches. 

Herdman was with the NT a long time: 5 years. 12 years with Canada Soccer. That's a long time for a coach in any sport, and especially international football. I'm of the opinion that his act was getting old, things were getting stale, it was time to move on.

I don't even mind a brief interregnum with Biello or some other staff coach type in an interim role. 3 years is a lot of runway for a new coach in advance of a World Cup with qualification already assured. Heck, semifinalist Morocco's head coach in Qatar only started in August. If we bring in a bigger name in 2024 or 2025, they're not much of a manager if they can't get things organized by summer 2026. 

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I have a hard time seeing today's developments as a bad thing. It's especially difficult to reconcile with many of these same poster's opinions of Herdman during Qatar and the recent NL and GC matches. 

Herdman was with the NT a long time: 5 years. 12 years with Canada Soccer. That's a long time for a coach in any sport, and especially international football. I'm of the opinion that his act was getting old, things were getting stale, it was time to move on.

I don't even mind a brief interregnum with Biello or some other staff coach type in an interim role. 3 years is a lot of runway for a new coach in advance of a World Cup with qualification already assured. Heck, semifinalist Morocco's head coach in Qatar only started in August. If we bring in a bigger name in 2024 or 2025, they're not much of a manager if they can't get things organized by summer 2026. 

It's not so much Herdman leaving but the fear of who the CSA will hire as his replacement.

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

For me the US were ripped for the picking at the Nations League with the drama and everything going on down there but to let the interim coach soundly outcoach you was very very bad.

Heck, all he had to do was watching the tapes on how Croatia and Morocco neutralized his cherished 3-5-2 and predictably, he didn't respect the US interim coach enough to make adjustments. 

We needed change because our 3-5-2 has been figured out since the the WCQ because we actually didn't look that great in the last few games during those either

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Do we still have the same group of players? In every sport, but especially football, I think we place far too much emphasis on the importance of the coach or manager.

I mean, with his group of players you need a coach who can spur much of the team to perform above its actual talent level, if we want real results in 2026. Herdman was good at that, at least for a while.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Lots of coaches will be tempted by our gold generation. Its an excellent opportunity. Salary might not be great but the potential acclaim would be infinite. 

If it was just the salary, that would be one that, but the administrative chaos and the financial constraints on the program itself will be a significant turnoff for the kind of coach the team really needs.

29 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

With the CSA/CSB/CPL connection, i wouldn't be shocked if we get a current CPL manager as the next head coach. Northern Futbol mentioned that some of the current CMNT players are still close with Gheisar from their time together.

The top 3 candidates in my mind would be Smyrniotis, Wheelman, and Gheisar. The current CMNT players that they played a role in developing are below.

Smyrniotis:Sigma/Forge: Laryea, Larin, Buchanan

Wheeldon: Foothills/Cavalry: Zator, Loturi, Adekugbe (not sure if they were there at the same time), Waterman

Gheisar: Vaughan/Halifax: St. Clair, Miller, Johnston, Kaye (while at York University)

Wheeldon coached the foothills saints 1994 age group for quite some time. Adekugbe was usually with this age group but would sometimes play in the 1995 team as well, until he departed for whitecaps. 

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

For me the US were ripped for the picking at the Nations League with the drama and everything going on down there but to let the interim coach soundly outcoach you was very very bad.

Apart from maybe the top two guys on the roster, the USMNT outclasses us at basically every position. I'd hardly say the win was ripe for the taking.