Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

You could- Canada could take the case up with FIFA courts, show game tape that shows that the USMNT is using tactics Canada used, and that they didn't use before they got our coach, etc., but I don't know how you'd build a strong case unless you could seize a USB stick with a folder called "SECRET CANADA TACTICS STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES" and also prove that that information isn't stuff you could learn by just watching CAMNT tape. And even if you do prove that, what would happen? Probably a very light slap on the wrist.

If Marsch wanted to coach us, take all our info and then go and coach the USMNT, he probably could, in all likelihood. There probably isn't an amount of money we could throw at him to dissuade him from moving either. I don't think he even wants this job, so all of this is moot, but if he did, I think we'd have to just accept the risk. Herdman could've moved to the US hypothetically too.

Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

11 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right which is why the only real legitimate deterrent is substantial timed bonuses. There would be some of that anyway with the WC presumably.

I know very little of the corporate world but delaying a football manager's move to another team, especially a rival with "gardening leave" is pretty common and legally enforced.  

If nothing else it would cause the States to have to throw a bunch of money at us, which we could always use.😉

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah that just doesn’t make sense to me.  If he is coaching a team playing against us, I have no idea how you could differentiate between effective coaching and using “insider info”.  

Mostly just spitballing. I think it would be a case where Canada could try and pursue this but short of a perfect smoking gun than would likely be virtually impossible to find, there’s no case. You just gotta take the risk. 

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He was very close with Southampton and it broke down because of the contract length.  Good on him, he wanted longer.  A month later or so, he was close with Leicester, went to see them train and turned that down. 

All this is according to the papers of course, tells me he 1) doesn't want to be a stop-gap and 2) doesn't want just any Premier League job.  As you say, early days, but some of the clubs look pretty car-crashy. 

I think given his profile and experience it's going to be the clubs likely to go down that will be interested in him, which are not the clubs he would be interested in for the reasons you stated. He may have to consider jobs outside of England, because any Championship club getting promoted would be at risk of going straight back down and plus there is the risk of getting stuck at that level. Obviously not terrible but probably also not what he wants (just guessing). 

Maybe if he expands his search outside of England we could be part of that.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I think given his profile and experience it's going to be the clubs likely to go down that will be interested in him, which are not the clubs he would be interested in for the reasons you stated. He may have to consider jobs outside of England, because any Championship club getting promoted would be at risk of going straight back down and plus there is the risk of getting stuck at that level. Obviously not terrible but probably also not what he wants (just guessing). 

Maybe if he expands his search outside of England we could be part of that.

Yeah, again, early days but teams that looked class in the Championship have not picked up a point (Burnley has only played 1 game that wasn't against Man City and that was against another top 7 side last year, to be fair).

And if its a team that looks class this year, why replace their manager unless someone poaches them I guess. 

He has had one of the bigger non-Bayern German jobs and was fired. It would be fun to watch him try to swear in German again. I think when you get beyond that, he is not close to getting the big 1 or 2 in France or Spain.  Not sure he wants below that.  One the clubs in the fight in Italy? Still think he would need to prove more. 

He has some juice internationally and in North America, so maybe he needs to leverage that first. 

40 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This alone would put him ahead of someone like MDS, who has a similar resume. Both were the head coach of the Whitecaps and both are currently MLS assistants (DCU and LAFC respectively).

I guess the other thing is that Robinson knows international football as a player, as you say, and that would be another thing which puts him ahead of MDS. 

I am still trying to cleanse my eyeballs after watching Robbo-ball as a Caps fan. Robbo is totally inept as a manager, a tactical dinosaur that would make Dale Mitchell look good. He is the classic example of how a 'British' (Welsh, whatever) accent in Canada buys soccer cred and opens doors, when in fact they should be slammed shut in his face. 

1 minute ago, Soro17 said:

I am still trying to cleanse my eyeballs after watching Robbo-ball as a Caps fan. Robbo is totally inept as a manager, a tactical dinosaur that would make Dale Mitchell look good. He is the classic example of how a 'British' (Welsh, whatever) accent in Canada buys soccer cred and opens doors, when in fact they should be slammed shut in his face. 

These are not unfair criticisms lol

1 minute ago, Soro17 said:

Lol Robinson as our national team coach so these are our options , I wouldn’t want that guy anywhere close to TFC never mind our national team please !

1 hour ago, Soro17 said:

Wasn't the nicest football for sure. But did have our best season with pretty mediocre team. It's just true. I wasn't a huge fan but he's been the best coach the Whitecaps have had. Sad but true

Names I've heard thrown around that seem realistic to me are

Ronaldo Ruinada

Bobby Smyrniotis

Carl Robinson 

Jessie Marsh

Edited by SpursFlu

40 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Wasn't the nicest football for sure. But did have our best season with pretty mediocre team. It's just true. I wasn't a huge fan but he's been the best coach the Whitecaps have had. Sad but true

Names I've heard thrown around that seem realistic to me are

Ronaldo Ruinada

Bobby Smyrniotis

Carl Robinson 

Jessie Marsh

Maybe I’m missing a joke or something but who is Ronaldo Ruinada?

9 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He is referring to Reinaldo Rueda, a Colombian national team coach that Wheeler mentioned has previously applied for the Canada head coach position and he speculates might be tempted to do so again.

Interesting, I see he’s back coaching Honduras but have to imagine he would jump ship from them given the chance.

Mix of good and bad results internationally. Got Honduras and Ecuador to the WC but then failed to qualify with Chile and Colombia.

Edited by Atlantic

15 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He is referring to Reinaldo Rueda, a Colombian national team coach that Wheeler mentioned has previously applied for the Canada head coach position and he speculates might be tempted to do so again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinaldo_Rueda

Currently the coach of Honduras. Canada would clearly be an upgrade. He's coached some good internationals teams, such as Chile (2018-21), Ecuador (2010-2014), and of course Colombia (most recent stint 2021-22). 

He's also been to the World Cup just once, with Ecuador, who failed to get out of their group. He couldn't qualify Chile or his native Colombia. This would be one of those dream hires back in the Floro or even Zambrano days, but I honestly think we could do better for this WC cycle. He's coached some big club sides too, but it's all in Latin America and he's 66 years old and are in a cycle/era where playing away in Latin America is a non-issue. Perhaps he's the right guy at the wrong time. 

Correction - he got Honduras to the WC as well. He must have been the coach during the 8-1 loss. 

Edited by Obinna
correction

56 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinaldo_Rueda

Currently the coach of Honduras. Canada would clearly be an upgrade. He's coached some good internationals teams, such as Chile (2018-21), Ecuador (2010-2014), and of course Colombia (most recent stint 2021-22). 

He's also been to the World Cup just once, with Ecuador, who failed to get out of their group. He couldn't qualify Chile or his native Colombia. This would be one of those dream hires back in the Floro or even Zambrano days, but I honestly think we could do better for this WC cycle. He's coached some big club sides too, but it's all in Latin America and he's 66 years old and are in a cycle/era where playing away in Latin America is a non-issue. Perhaps he's the right guy at the wrong time. 

Correction - he got Honduras to the WC as well. He must have been the coach during the 8-1 loss. 

He'd be closer to his daughters if he lived in Canada — I'm not sure how many kids he has in total but two of them live and work in Toronto, one of them for Toronto FC.

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

But the sky is falling…

Guilty as charged. I admit I was one of the pessimistic voices on here, but I have come back around, especially after hearing the One Soccer crowd speak on it last night. Now with these tweets things definitely seem rosier. 

I'll counter another of my opinions - that it would take CSA a looooong time to fill the role...

Counter: The CSA has already known for a while Herdman is likely out. We know they are in "flux" (to put it nicely), but maybe they started putting the pieces in place to conduct a coaching search weeks ago. That should hopefully speed up the timeline for a replacement. 

Starting to feel this is more of a blessing than a curse.