CNL FINAL: Canada vs USA - Sunday, June 18th - 8:30 pm ET/5:30 pm PT - Las Vegas

CNL: Final

Canada vs USA

Sunday, June 18th

8:30 pm ET/5:30 pm PT - Las Vegas

Allegiant Stadium

Sanctions:

Canada: none

USA: Weston McKennie and Sergiño Dest

For Canada, will Davies start? Who will sit (Buchanan, Larin, one of the wingbacks)?

For the US: De la Torre, Cardoso or Aaronsen for McKennie; Scally for Dest.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 minutes ago, Metro said:

I might be in the minority here but I think it is a bad thing that Dest won't be playing against Canada.

Who will Laryea school now?

I used to be very anti-Dest, but because of his general poor League play, which has been against High level competition… I do think he is very dangerous against lower Concacaf competition - even Canada and Mexico.

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Does Vitoria start??  Thats a big ask for some old bones and if we run 4 in the back who goes where?  

The decision to test Kennedy on the right repeatedly over the last few games makes me think he will pair with Miller in a 4 if Vitoria can't go.

In Nashville we went: Adekugbe^-Kennedy-Henry-Johnston-Laryea^.

In Hamilton we went: Adekugbe-Miller-Vitoria-Johnston.

Without Vitoria, I think those look like: Davies^-Miller-Kennedy-Johnston-Laryea^ and Adekugbe-Miller-Kennedy-Johnston respectively.

If we play like we did against Panama, we won't be winning this, unless the US comes out very flat. They looked much sharper and quicker than we did yesterday. That said, if anyone can rise to the occasion, it's us. Buchanan needs to be better, our midfield needs to be sharper and everyone's first touch needs to be better. There was some really loose touches yesterday that absolutely would cost us against the US. Hopefully the Panama game was the proverbial shaking off of the rust and we're back to our best on Sunday. Honestly, I wouldn't bet on us but I would love to be proven wrong.

6 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

So with McKennie and Adams out, they're probably gonna have to go with a (kinda middling) Musah-De la Torre double pivot. I think Steph is the best midfielder out of the bunch.

We need to go with a mid 3 - we have a really unique opportunity to just bowl them over in the middle.

Agree we need to run 3 thru the mid.  Kone needs to be able to play just a little further back in that unit.  He doesn't seem to have the ability yet to play in a two man.  His strengths lie when everything is in front of him.

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The good news is we should perform much better on Sunday assuming JH gets his tactics right. I think the US is going to be emotionally spent after yesterday. They were hyper pumped with that pro Mex crowd. I'm not sure they can match that intensity vs Canada or would be motivated the same way.

And with only a few days of prep before last night’s game, I assume we will play the Final more like the second half versus the first when we clearly were rusty and unfamiliar.  

Sportsnet or TSN really should pick this up, TSN has 2 Channels just showing sportscenter and Sportsnet is all Sportsnet Central. Canada Soccer should be pushing for this, when Canada played their games in the World Cup it was all any one was talking about and literally everyone watched it, People Turing on the TV and seeing that the team they cared so much about just half a year ago is playing in a Final against our biggest rival could go a long way for the future of this NT.

26 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Sportsnet or TSN really should pick this up, TSN has 2 Channels just showing sportscenter and Sportsnet is all Sportsnet Central. Canada Soccer should be pushing for this, when Canada played their games in the World Cup it was all any one was talking about and literally everyone watched it, People Turing on the TV and seeing that the team they cared so much about just half a year ago is playing in a Final against our biggest rival could go a long way for the future of this NT.

My own speculation is that One Soccer is happy with their current subscription numbers and are also happy with their deal with Fubo.

Due to this they aren't interested in giving the games to another broadcaster.

Getting their full channel on Rogers and Bell is another story.

By the way in the US these games are on Paramount+

It all comes down to whether our stars can do what they did against Panama. The US has a better and more balanced team overall at the moment, but our high-end talent is better as Davies and David should be the two best players on the pitch.

The first goal will be critical as the US play well at home and will be tough to beat with a lead and the crowd behind them. But, they are also quite young and don't have a great track record of dealing well with adversity. If we can snag the first one and get the crowd feeling nervous, I think the pressure gets to them.

Should be a tight match so let's hope the good guys can pull it off!