CNL FINAL: Canada vs USA - Sunday, June 18th - 8:30 pm ET/5:30 pm PT - Las Vegas

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Vitoria is 36......USAs oldest non keeper is Zimmerman who is 30.  Its harsh, but at this level and that age, 2 games in 4 days..yeesshh.  

Didnt he do 3 90's at the WC. Dont get me wrong. This is a heavy load for him as its one less day compared to the WC games and hes 6 months older. 

Where is everyone getting this argument that Vitoria can't start two games in 4 days? He plays against top, skilled and dynamic strikers in Portugal, he played midweek cup matches, he often played 90 and was not normally subbed, and his very modest team were in the upper half of the table.

Adekugbe had a muscle problem early, it could have come to bother him after the game. Kone think it was had an ankle twist that looked nasty. Then amongst others coming off injuries, Oso and Davies looked fine and got those minutes that also served to test their readiness. If we see Davies for Sam and Oso for Kone, if he is not 100%, I would not be suprised.

Vitoria will play 90 I think on Sunday, he's a threat going forward on the long crosses to the far post, and could be useful to stymie a late attack--if anything we'll add a CB beside him if we are tied or leading.

I wanted to comment on Borjan: on that one free kick he bobbled and they almost put in the rebound, he was cheating towards a cross and was not ready for a ball that came past the wall into the middle of the net. Watch it, he was leaning to the far-post cross. He does that, was burned in the friendly vs. Uruguay think it was doing the same thing. This is a liability, he does not play it straight. Get ready to stop the shot, the defenders will handle the cross and only if, if you can, you go grab it.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Buchanan goes to the bench in place of a central mid (likely Osorio) and Davies for Adekugbe would be my changes.  I still have concerns about route one balls with the back line but we really need to up our game from what I saw, paricularly with eliminating loose passing possession losses.

As expected, Panama was a tough out and I give them kudos.  Sunday's home opponent will be highly motivated.  Play smart:  no "hero" challenges in the back because there will be higher chance of conceding free kicks in dangerous areas or worse, penalties.

Edited by BearcatSA

48 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Vitoria is 36......USAs oldest non keeper is Zimmerman who is 30.  Its harsh, but at this level and that age, 2 games in 4 days..yeesshh.  

yah I get it, Its just my ego talking. I'm projecting my own insecurities

Its remarkable how well he has played for the NT in the last 18 months at his age. With no Doneil I wonder if Herdman breaks pattern and starts him back2back

I expect to see Vitoria play 90 mins and hope he does. He’s been really good for quite a while now. 

Sounds like who plays and how long they play will have a lot to do with what immediate shape each individual guy is in. Herdman in today’s CP article:

"We've got two days to get this team recovered. They're pretty beat up listening to them. It's going to be a hell of a ride."

Given how many are either just back from injury or not totally in shape for other reasons, plus the slightly ridiculous 3 day training camp, I don’t think anyone can expect the team to be sharp.

Miller said their motto is “under-prepare and overachieve”. It’s difficult to win the ‘who wants it more’ aspect if both teams want it. We do have a couple of special players… let’s hope they play brilliantly. And the intensity and madness of the US - Mexico match and the two reds cards should really help us. 

We are for sure the underdogs going into this one, perhaps due to their depth, but more because of how banged up our guys are. Our starting 11, if healthy, can hang well enough with their starting 11. We've certainly closed the gap, but we still have a ways to go.

I am expecting a hard fought, scrappy, even messy game. That'll be to our benefit, I figure. Keep our shape, stay disciplined, give em nothing in the 50-50 battles, give them no space to do anything in the final third, and then kill them on the counter.  

Mexico's decline these past few years is a real head-scratcher. Or is it less a decline and more the case that the US, and now Canada, have done a lot more to close the gap and improve, while the Mexican program has stagnated? 

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

I was surprised Vitoria didnt sub out yesterday. To me that means that Herdman is already planning him to not be in the XI for the finals. 

I would be floored if Vitoria didn’t start.  36 or not, he is our top defender, is our biggest aerial asset in defence, and is one of the few players that offers a goal threat directly off a corner.  He will soldier through during the finals.  

20 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

We will have to play our best game ever under Herdman thus far to win tomorrow.  It can happen.  

This is what I'd do.

------------Larin - David

----------Osorio-----Hoilett

Davies--------Eustaquio-------Laryea

-----Miller-----Vitoria-----Johnston

----------------Borjan

Haven’t overly scrutinized it but that is damn strong.  Kone could come in for Oso or Hoilett if/when fresh legs are needed.  Buchanan on if more is needed in attack   

I wish we could have seen Loturi at the end of the game against Panama because there is no way he gets on during the final.  

18 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

We will have to play our best game ever under Herdman thus far to win tomorrow.  It can happen.  

This is what I'd do.

------------Larin - David

----------Osorio-----Hoilett

Davies--------Eustaquio-------Laryea

-----Miller-----Vitoria-----Johnston

----------------Borjan

I appreciate Oso and Hoilett and think we need at least one (though both would be fine), but I would feel better with Kone's athleticism to help keep the US midfield at bay. No McKennie will help, but Musah can be a handful and having Kone could cancel him out and break up play for us a little bit. On the flipside, De La Torre is probably going to play along with Reyna so maybe this is the game for both Oso and Hoilett to start. 

49 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

We are for sure the underdogs going into this one, perhaps due to their depth, but more because of how banged up our guys are. Our starting 11, if healthy, can hang well enough with their starting 11. We've certainly closed the gap, but we still have a ways to go.

I am expecting a hard fought, scrappy, even messy game. That'll be to our benefit, I figure. Keep our shape, stay disciplined, give em nothing in the 50-50 battles, give them no space to do anything in the final third, and then kill them on the counter.  

Mexico's decline these past few years is a real head-scratcher. Or is it less a decline and more the case that the US, and now Canada, have done a lot more to close the gap and improve, while the Mexican program has stagnated? 

Who is banged up? 

The good thing is the match that probably motivates us most is against the US, while the game that motivates the US most is Mexico. 

So while we looked a bit flat against Panama, playing against the states should provide an extra gear. Meanwhile, the US will have had that gear for the last match, but may not be as extra motivated this game

Yeah put me down for Laryea over Buchanan for this one. Obviously Tajon is the starter generally speaking, but Laryea is in better form. Buchanan was rusty last match and I am not sure how fit he is. If he starts then fine but I would start Richie. I do have the feeling Tajon starts, though.

I also have questions about Johnston. He seemed a tad slow on the ball especially at the start. Grew into the game but came out early, like Tajon, so probably is banged up and/or not fully fit. Again though, him coming out may be an indication he will start.

So we're really sticking to the 3-4-3, 2-man midfield?  Or is Herdman gonna pull the 4-2-2-2 out of the old hat? 

I just don't wanna come back here tomorrow night complaining we haven't learned anything from the WC about playing vs better teams with a 2-man midfield.

9 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

Sportsnet or TSN really should pick this up, TSN has 2 Channels just showing sportscenter and Sportsnet is all Sportsnet Central. Canada Soccer should be pushing for this, when Canada played their games in the World Cup it was all any one was talking about and literally everyone watched it, People Turing on the TV and seeing that the team they cared so much about just half a year ago is playing in a Final against our biggest rival could go a long way for the future of this NT.

That looks like TSN's schedule after 2200 EDT. From 1900--2200, they're showing US Open final round on 2 channels, CFL on 3 others and Red Sox v Yankees on 1 channel. US Open is also on CTV2/NBC. You're also competing for mind share with the Canadian Grand Prix which is likely to be the most watched sports event of the day unless a Canadian manages to be in contention at the US Open.

Plus, based on the Bell layoffs announced this week, they're looking to reduce costs for the expected lower revenues in their media division. So, there is no need to buy more programming for Sunday night given cord cutting/never corders & different ways to consume sports have significantly shrunk available pool of linear tv viewers.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2023/06/14/leafs-lunch-on-tsn-1050-cancelled-as-part-of-latest-bell-media-cutbacks.html

SN has no live events scheduled but are facing the same cost/revenue pressures.  Financially, they're better off showing the scheduled zero marginal cost pogramming. 

SN picked up the last round of WCQ. I don't think OneSoccer is apt to give them as good of a deal. Nations League is also not even close to having the same cachet as anything related to the World Cup. Amongst European football followers, it is derided. Only the smaller nation federations in Europe believe it adds enough value. Unlike with the WCQ, there is no build up. Ratings didn't really pick up till the third window in Edmonton.

CBC showed Canada v USA women Olympic qualifying last year as it fit their Olympic focus and fit their goal for gender parity in coverage. Still, it was shown delayed as CBC only pre-empts it's news for a couple sporting events.