Friendly - Canada vs Uruguay - Tuesday, September 27th - 12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific

narduch

23 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

yup looks like age is catching up

I think we saw a lot of what we have seen for a while, great leader, risk-taker, decisive at times, willing to use his feet but has a ricket in him.

Wall position, his position and/or too slow to react, the first goal is his. 

But he saved at least one goal getting to balls outside the box with good decisions and some pace.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I’m even more pissed off bout the Iran friendly not taking place… one more game against a quality opponent would have benefited the group. 
I’m not as negative as others after the performance today… they will learn from this and be better.  The overall playing style was encouraging, we just need a higher level of sharpness.  

But can I be the 100th person to say they need to be better on out corners and set pieces?

Uruguay: 6 shots, 2 on target, 2 goals

Canada: 11 shots, 3 on target, 0 goals

Of course there was so much more going on (not a foul on Miller for one) but to me, above all else, it was our lack of finishing, that final touch, the combination of finesse, calm, and ruthlessness that Canada just didn't have today...nor, in my humble opinion, does it have on a consistent basis. At least not consistent enough to take a result from a team like Uruguay, Belgium, Croatia. Our boys looked great and there are lots of positives to take away from this game of course. We created, we looked strong and organized, but without that quality and consistency in our finish, these will be the results we have to look forward to in two months time. Something Eustaquio said kinda struck me: he said that on a "normal" day our boys up front would have put those chances in. Well, sorry to break it to you Stevo, those "normal" days are far behind us. 

3 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Uruguay: 6 shots, 2 on target, 2 goals

Canada: 11 shots, 3 on target, 0 goals

Of course there was so much more going on (not a foul on Miller for one) but to me, above all else, it was our lack of finishing, that final touch, the combination of finesse, calm, and ruthlessness that Canada just didn't have today...nor, in my humble opinion, does it have on a consistent basis. At least not consistent enough to take a result from a team like Uruguay, Belgium, Croatia. Our boys looked great and there are lots of positives to take away from this game of course. We created, we looked strong and organized, but without that quality and consistency in our finish, these will be the results we have to look forward to in two months time. Something Eustaquio said kinda struck me: he said that on a "normal" day our boys up front would have put those chances in. Well, sorry to break it to you Stevo, those "normal" days are far behind us. 

Those normal days will still come around against a top opponent. Just less frequently. What it amounts to is that Canada might beat Belgium or Croatia one or two out of every 10 tries. So in all likelihood we don't make it out of the group. Did anybody ever think another outcome was likely?

9 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Those normal days will still come around against a top opponent. Just less frequently. What it amounts to is that Canada might beat Belgium or Croatia one or two out of every 10 tries. So in all likelihood we don't make it out of the group. Did anybody ever think another outcome was likely?

One can dream 😉

5 hours ago, ECW said:

I don’t like his handling of Davies though, not yet anyway. We’ve too often looked better without our best player. Either Davies hasn’t grown into his role or he’s been played too often in the wrong positions. 

I had been an advocate of playing Davies up top in the past but IMO that window of opportunity should be closed for the WC. 

He has had chances throughout WCQ to develop more instincts and intuition on how to make the right play but it hasn’t clicked yet (Panama home game aside) and I feel he and John have run out of rope to keep trying it with the stakes this high. 

Would much prefer him play the position he practises day in and out at the WC than watch him and Herdman continue to painfully try to pound a square peg into a round hole. 

At the end of the day, on the eve of the World Cup our best player still regularly passes up excellent shooting and passing opportunities in favour of lower percentage plays that more often than not kill the play. He isn’t ready for this yet.  

Edited by grigorio

6 minutes ago, grigorio said:

I had been an advocate of playing Davies up top on the past but IMO that window of opportunity should be closed for the WC. 

He has had chances throughout WCQ to develop more instincts and intuition on how to make the right play but it hasn’t clicked yet and I feel he and John have run out of rope to keep trying it with the stakes this high. 

Would much prefer him play the position he practises day in and out at the WC than watch him and Herdman continue to painfully try to pound a square peg into a round hole. 

At the end of the day, on the eve of the World Cup our best player still regularly passes up excellent shooting and passing opportunities in favour of lower percentage plays that more often than not kill the play. He isn’t ready for this yet.  

Agreed. I still think he's far more effective in a deeper role, and that we have attackers more suited to play an advanced position. His athleticism can cause problems for some backlines, but I don't think it's where he's most effective. Particularly when a team is up two, sitting back, and well organized. 

Lots of comments online about “oh well, Uruguay let up”.l. It’s a World Cup tune up - they didn’t let up they managed the game professionally to secure the result. Once they had that lead they employed a game plan where they weren’t exposing their back line to counters. In truth both teams played pretty well but goals change games. 

Two of the biggest positives from this game:

1) Tajon got some minutes and looked mean AF. He has two months to get into top form. Barring an injury, that shouldn't be an issue.

2) Kone did not look out of place at all. Yeah, his inexperience might keep him out of the starting line-up, but he will see the field in Qatar.

Biggest thing for this team to work (to have the biggest impact): Set-play delivery. Woeful. Stache had a few very good deliveries, but we were abysmal otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Biggest thing for this team to work (to have the biggest impact): Set-play delivery. Woeful. Stache had a few very good deliveries, but we were abysmal otherwise. 

Yeah, lots of opportunities, but absolutely nothing threatening.  Almost better to just put it out for a goal kick to be in position to win the ball back.

We gave them a good game, and had some weaknesses put in the klieglights.

Mission accomplished, I'd say.

Would have loved to see them come right back, to check adjustments. I wish we didn't have to wait 6 weeks for Japan.

By November, a lot of other things will be going on in terms of what Herdman wants to accomplish with that game.

Years ago I said, on this very forum, that we'll not have a properly competitive side until we've at least 11 players of top international quality (not necessarily elite, but top quality). (I also said we need depth, that a full 18 would be far better [no duh]). None of this thinking is revolutionary, I know, but based on everything we've seen this past year, today especially, how many guys are in that "top international quality" grouping, and how many are knocking on the door?

For me, top quality: Davies, David, Eustaquio, Tajon, Miller, and Adekugbe.

Knocking on the door: Kone, Johnston, Oso

Borderline: Borjan (too many brain farts); Hoillet (lacks pace); Vittoria (lacks pace); Larin (missing something); Hutch (old bones); Piette (solid, but a bit one-dimensional)

Big question marks, still: Ugbo; Corbeanu; Millar; Laryea (can he take the next step?)

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Years ago I said, on this very forum, that we'll not have a properly competitive side until we've at least 11 players of top international quality (not necessarily elite, but top quality). (I also said we need depth, that a full 18 would be far better [no duh]). None of this thinking is revolutionary, I know, but based on everything we've seen this past year, today especially, how many guys are in that "top international quality" grouping, and how many are knocking on the door?

For me, top quality: Davies, David, Eustaquio, Tajon, Miller, and Adekugbe.

Knocking on the door: Kone, Johnston, Oso

Borderline: Borjan (too many brain farts); Hoillet (lacks pace); Vittoria (lacks pace); Larin (missing something); Hutch (old bones); Piette (solid, but a bit one-dimensional)

Big question marks, still: Ugbo; Corbeanu; Millar; Laryea (can he take the next step?)

Johnston plays best in a RB role. At RB he is top quality. At CB he is knocking on the door.

14 minutes ago, fookisan said:

How is Laryea so bad ever since joining NFC. 
His attitude isn't great either when Eustaquio made a pass to him and he dribbled out of touch and started to gesture as to blame instead of taking ownership of his piss poor play. 

While I agree, I think he's just had a really rough year. The lack of playing time and TFC sucking hasn't helped. Laryea is a great player, but he gets frustrated easily. I hope he can cut that out, focus on his game and get back to that RB who endlessly burns defenders up and down the touchline. I'm not giving up on him. 

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

While I agree, I think he's just had a really rough year. The lack of playing time and TFC sucking hasn't helped. Laryea is a great player, but he gets frustrated easily. I hope he can cut that out, focus on his game and get back to that RB who endlessly burns defenders up and down the touchline. I'm not giving up on him. 

not many games left for him this year before WC

Surprised at the negativity. There was nothing particularly surprising or discouraging for me. Uruguay is clearly a much better squad. We have too many guys on our squad who just arent close to the level needed. Lets be realistic here.

That being said, we were not run off the pitch or embarrassed. We created some legitimately good chances. TBH I prefer that 2-0 loss, where we showed some ability to be threatening, than a performance where we entirely bunkered and squeaked out a nil-nil draw or 1-0 moral victory loss. It's a friendly after all. 

6 hours ago, sose said:

Adekugbe keeps impressing me.  Was solid in the back and didn't really put a foot wrong.  Also combined well with Davies in the 1st half.

Kone looked like he's going to be a star.

Over two matches, for me he was our most solid player. 

Then I'd say Miller, can't believe how I've come around with him.