Friendly - Canada vs Uruguay - Tuesday, September 27th - 12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific

narduch

Canada vs Uruguay - Friendly Match #2 to prepare for the FIFA World Cup 2022
Tuesday, September 27, 2022
12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific / 6 pm local
Stadion Tehelne Pole
, Bratislava, Slovakia

Broadcast:
One Soccer and Fubo (live - online)

Canada's squad:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-announces-squad-for-september-2022-matches/
  • Buchanan is recovering from injury and will play very limited minutes (if any)

image.png.1d5800e4bf57bf673cdc7d82ed7612c4.png

Uruguay's squad:
image.png.21a7ce5cf3cd3393be426eb214883741.png

Some random facts:

-Uruguay lost 1-0 to Iran on Friday.

-Canada has only faced Uruguay one time at the senior level. A 3-1 loss on February 2, 1986 in Miami. George Pakos scored for Canada.

-We were drawn in a Group with Uruguay for the ill-fated 2001 Copa America.

-Canada lost 3-0 to Uruguay at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup. Max Crepeau and Sam Piette started that game. https://www.canadasoccer.com/national-team-match-past/?matchId=1023

Referee:
TBD

Edited by narduch

• narduch changed the title to Friendly - Canada vs Uruguay - Tuesday, September 27th - 12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific
21 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Knowing how concerned Bayern has been in the past with Davies, I wonder if there is a chance he won’t play.

I think they’ve used their concerns up. He’s pretty clearly fine and it’s time for the World Cup. He’s a superstar and Bayern should be looking to keep him happy - not the other way around. 

11 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Hope Cornelius sees some minutes. Guy keeps getting brought over to camps but sees no playing time. He deserves a look.

Kennedy and Waterman also need a look. I wonder if Vitoria played 90' the first game and is out and we rotate the back line

Not a bad shout.  Need some pace against Nunez or whoever and we need a plan for the middle CB, if Vitoria goes down, beyond, as Herdman is so fond of saying, "wrapping him in cotton wool."

Canada's all-time record against the eight countries (including Uruguay) that have won the World Cup: P13, W0, D2, L11, GF7, GA30.

Here are all results with the score, year, competition and goal scorers for Canada. (The matches versus France and Spain took place prior to those countries becoming World Cup winners.)

Canada 0 Italy 2, 1984 friendly
Canada 1 Uruguay 3, 1986 friendly, Pakos
Canada 0 England 1, 1986 friendly
Canada 0 France 1, 1986 World Cup
Canada 0 Spain 2, 1994 friendly
Canada 0 Germany 2, 1994 friendly
Canada 1 Brazil 1, 1994 friendly, "Berdusco! Berdusco!!!"
Canada 1 Brazil 4, 1996 Gold Cup, Radzinski
Canada 0 Brazil 0, 2001 Confederations Cup
Canada 1 Germany 4, 2003 friendly, McKenna
Canada 1 Spain 2, 2005 friendly, Grande
Canada 2 Brazil 3, 2008 friendly, Friend, De Guzman
Canada 0 Argentina 5, 2010 friendly

A couple of notes:

• There's been only one blowout - the 2010 match against Argentina.
  • Surprisingly, Canada's best results have been against Brazil, with two draws in four matches.

I will update this list during the World Cup with Tuesday's result, if needed — that is, if Spain or Germany manage to get out of Group E and Canada faces another World Cup winner in their Round of 16 match. 😀

50 minutes ago, narduch said:

-Canada has never faced Uruguay at the senior level. Although we were drawn in a Group with them for the ill-fated 2001 Copa America.

Friendly FYI: Not sure if you're including friendlies, but Canada played Uruguay ahead of the 1986 World Cup. https://www.upi.com/Archives/1986/02/02/Uruguay-defeated-Canada-3-1-and-Colombia-routed-Jamaica-6-2/5721507704400/

46 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

In my opinion Buchanan shouldn’t play at all. Why risk him? Everyone knows his lock. Test Theo and Luca. If they can both can’t  deliver well we have our answers if they go or not. 

I completely get what you’re saying, but he’s gonna have to play eventually. What if he has been cleared for a week and they were just being cautious? He’s going to have to get through a game here one way or the other. There’s always going to be a sense of fear until Qatar about him aggravating it. If he’s good to go, let him play    

16 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

Friendly FYI: Not sure if you're including friendlies, but Canada played Uruguay ahead of the 1986 World Cup. https://www.upi.com/Archives/1986/02/02/Uruguay-defeated-Canada-3-1-and-Colombia-routed-Jamaica-6-2/5721507704400/

Thanks. This one didn't come up on the CSA website for some reason.

Edit: I did find it. Had to click on See More Matches.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

I doubt Hoilett starts again.  He played the full 90 yesterday and looked pretty meh.  Hopefully we’ll start one of the young guys to give them a real chance to show their stuff.

Ugbo

AD     JD   TC

SE     IK

SA  KM SV  AJ

I hope not.  I want to see a first choice squad and that includes Piette and Larin.  I want Hoilett to go too if Buchanan isn't ready.  Or, if we're still playing with wingbacks and the Hoilett experiment didn't go as planned, go with Laryea to start.

Our Croatia game is four days after our Belgium game.  If you can't follow up 90 minutes against a bunkering team like Qatar with at least another 60 minute effort, what good really are you going to be in Qatar where you have three games every four days?

I want the first 60 minutes (at least) of this game to be as if we are playing Croatia shortly after dispatching Belgium.  Treat this as true prep for what will happen in Qatar.  If we can hang with a good team like Uruguay under those conditions for 60 minutes, then you can start experimenting.  

12 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I hope not.  I want to see a first choice squad and that includes Piette and Larin.  I want Hoilett to go too if Buchanan isn't ready.  Or, if we're still playing with wingbacks and the Hoilett experiment didn't go as planned, go with Laryea to start.

Our Croatia game is four days after our Belgium game.  If you can't follow up 90 minutes against a bunkering team like Qatar with at least another 60 minute effort, what good really are you going to be in Qatar where you have three games every four days?

I want the first 60 minutes (at least) of this game to be as if we are playing Croatia shortly after dispatching Belgium.  Treat this as true prep for what will happen in Qatar.  If we can hang with a good team like Uruguay under those conditions for 60 minutes, then you can start experimenting.  

That’s sound reasoning I just don’t think Hoilett starts at the WC so it would make sense to give someone else a start…I personally didn’t like his game yesterday.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

i am predicting we use the same line up we did v Qatar for the most part.

Only difference would be Buchanan for Hoilett if Tajon is ready.

Our formation against a top side will be a clue to Belgium and Croatia on how we’d play against them, especially if we don’t see much of the ball.  Herdman will need to drill some basics with the starting 11 for 60 minutes or so.  Closed door would actually be better!

the starters want to be in the field against Uruguay- unlikely to see the subs starting 

I don't think we're going to win this match and here is why:  

1. Our guys haven't faced an opposition with this much individual class. You could argue maybe Mexico but it's not anywhere near what Uruguay has. This match is going to come as a (well-needed) wake up call to our guys as to what we're up against in Qatar. I don't think they're mentally prepared for an opposition like this.  

2. We still have some shakey moments in defense and we waste some good opportunities up front with sloppy plays. You could see that against Qatar. We beat Qatar because they're poor quality (I would say on the level of ELV/JAM/HON). But a top team like Uruguay is going to make us pay for that kind of sloppiness. Missing a wide open net like Kamal (and sort of Ugbo) is unacceptable against world class teams.  

Overall, I don't think we're quite there yet. I don't think it'll be a blowout but I do think we will be outclassed and overall the game will serve as a nice wake-up call for us. I can already see dumbass American/Mexican fans on Twitter going like "lOoKs LiKe CaNaDa GoT hUmBlEd SeE tHeY wOnT pAsS tHe GrOuP sTaGe".

I hope I'm wrong though.

I think we see a first choice line up, once again. I agree that Richie may come in for Hoilett, depending on what Herdman thought of his RWB debut. If he was satisfied, I think Hoilett starts again.

Borjan-Adekugbe-Miller-Vitoria-Johnson-Eustaquio-Piette (earned another start imo)-Hoilett-Davies-David-Larin

Subs will be different this time around. I think Cavallini gets a run over Ugbo. I think we see Corbeanu and Koleosho (unless theories of him not wanting to get capped prove true), and to a lesser degree there's a good chance of Waterman. That leaves one final sub, which if I am Herdman needs to go to Kone. MAK, Millar and Laryea have had their run out already. There's really just Cornelius and Kennedy left unused (besides the keepers), but Herdman knows what he'll get out of both. There's a chance we'll see one or both (if he opts to sit Miller), but short of that I am predicting (hoping) the subs are: Cavallini, Corbeanu, Koleosho, Waterman and Kone.

Should also mention, I see a small chance here for Kone to get the nod from the start. Piette having played and done well could be a question answered and thus rested in favour of getting another player a look, perhaps a Cornelius and/or Kennedy.

I am assuming there is a 5 sub limit and this guesswork can be ignored if subs are unlimited (which I don't believe is the case).

If we don’t start Cavallini, we need to at least send a clip of him stomping on Muyl’s head to the Uruguayan team, along with a clip of every fight we engaged in during 2021 (granted, that would make for a six hour long video but it would be worth it). They need to know ahead of time that dirty challenges will not be tolerated. 

42 minutes ago, CCrTFC said:

I expect a few outside-of-the-box bombs from Valverde. I hope Borjan is on his toes. 

One of my concerns about the defending yesterday was the space left just outside of the box as we collapsed under pressure, Qatar players had a few half cracks from there but this could be trouble against players who have better skill launching shots from distance, I am sure they took note!