Friendly - Canada vs Uruguay - Tuesday, September 27th - 12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific

narduch

Just now, Shway said:

I think Cornelius and Kennedy make it in just based on familiarity. Waterman can make a push depending on how far Montreal go. 

He could still be a surprise, as Herdman won't rotate anyways.

I think these 3 are battling for 1 spot.

This is true. But Cavallini will be on the plane.

If healthy I'll say you forgot to add Hutchinson, Henry, Kaye, and Cavallini.

21 spots guaranteed. 
5 up for grabs.

100% agree on all your responses.  I'm thinking Waterman may be left off just based on familiarity.  It's clear from the last couple of camps that Herdman does not trust many beyond his 3 or 4 defenders.

Koloesho could and possibly should be 26th player.

Cavallini is 100% on the plane, along with Doneil, Kaye & Atiba & Osorio (which I think you missed in your automatics).  I was basing it on the players from this window.

Just now, trc2014 said:

Is AGR the most overly positive analyst of all time?

He definitely had his moments at times and created the most chances for us (Larin, David, Miller chances were all from him) ... but when he turns on hero mode we suffer. Deciding to dribble 1 v 3 when we have open players in crossing lanes is inexcusable. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He definitely had his moments at times and created the most chances for us (Larin, David, Miller chances were all from him) ... but when he turns on hero mode we suffer. Deciding to dribble 1 v 3 when we have open players in crossing lanes is inexcusable. 

happy to to let his teammates or even coaches! tell him to stop and distribute instead.  i'm on the fence if it's even bad when Davies goes on his forays..testing and probing defences close in is a net positive, and you gotta practice before you master it.  i think fans should give him the benefit of the doubt, that his ideas are better than our ideas.

Edited by eramosat

Much better second half even if Uruguay were happy enough being less urgent. Davies can learn to play in the middle but when is he to do it? We have one of the best wide players in the world, why not play him there? He looks even less a striker (for all his obvious quality). Davies and Buchanan are our best two players on the left. They should be playing there. 

Edited by ECW

27 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Great measuring stick today and while the result wasn’t there, nobody would be disappointed in the overall effort/performance 

Yes.  You obviously don't win on stats other than goals scored, but it was great to see us hanging in on things like possession and shots.  This was not a bunker and hope type game which is great to see from our team against this type of opponent.

I don’t think Herdman has any bunkering in his bones. And I’m glad of it after a life time of a lack of faith by our managers that Canada can play football.

I don’t like his handling of Davies though, not yet anyway. We’ve too often looked better without our best player. Either Davies hasn’t grown into his role or he’s been played too often in the wrong positions. 

4 minutes ago, ECW said:

I don’t think Herdman has any bunkering in his bones. And I’m glad of it after a life time of a lack of faith by our managers that Canada can play football.

I don’t like his handling of Davies though, not yet anyway. We’ve too often looked better without our best player. Either Davies hasn’t grown into his role or he’s been played too often in the wrong positions. 

As for Davies, I liked a lot of what I saw today, but I think he is far better used as a LWB than an out-and-out forward. I'd like to see 5 in the midfield, with Davies wide left, Tajon on the right, and Kone, Eustaquio and Osorio in the middle.  Likely three at the back, with Larin and David up top. Mind you, I want Adekugbe out there too. (This all presumes Hutch won't be in game shape in two months, of course.)

33 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Koloesho could and possibly should be 26th player.

Even with 26, I don't think you bring him barring regular playing time with his team and/or him being 100% committed and willing to be permenantly cap-tied.  Too many questions elsewhere and too much depth in wide positions.  

15 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Perfect wake up call game for some deficiencies. In many ways it was a better learning experience than a win would have been. Although I'm dressing that up and laying it on a bit thick.

I get the reasoning behind this line ups but I really hoped to see Dayne St. Clair and Max get minutes. 

No need to use backup keepers who are both locks. Both will get chances next year in nations league and the gold cup. 

44 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Perfect wake up call game for some deficiencies. In many ways it was a better learning experience than a win would have been. Although I'm dressing that up and laying it on a bit thick.

I get the reasoning behind this line ups but I really hoped to see Dayne St. Clair and Max get minutes. 

Hate to say it, but Borjan struggled imo. 

I think that just like this game is prep for the World Cup, this World Cup is prep for next World Cup. The biggest revelation for me for this match is that there is a line between players who have that extra something to go head to head with an elite team and those who are good, but just don't have it. Luckily for us, most of our players who have it are our younger players. Besides JD and AD, Kone looked awesome, Tajon was nice in his cameo, Eustaquio- who's only 25!- looked good enough, I liked what I saw from Alistair Johnston, these are all guys who will hit their prime around 2026 and will be surrounded by young guys, who we hope will be as good as the young guys we have now who are 22 and under. I look at guys like Piette, Laryea, Larin, even throw Borjan in there, and these are excellent players, but excellent for Concacaf. Many of those players will either age out or find diminished roles. There is not one player on the team who you can say is "wasting their prime" by playing for Canada- most of our best are also our youngest.