Friendly - Canada vs Uruguay - Tuesday, September 27th - 12 pm Eastern / 9 am Pacific

narduch

41 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

First why go back to that post, not the last one, and still not address the success of corners in Europe last year. 

And are you back to saying Canada should not work on corners?

What a strange way to look at football or any endeavour.  You don't need something at the next level (World Cup and beyond) because you didn't at a lower one. That is as strange a take as: don't expect to score from corners in modern football.  

We need to up our game in most every way, if we don't want just qualifying for the World Cup to be "our greatest accomplishment." That includes corners. 

I could take or leave the spam but what are you saying I am alone in getting my back up over? The Simon Eaddy thing - I have never mentioned it until now to my knowledge.  About us being poor at corners? - it concerns me and a lot of other people. 

You have made a lot of false and silly statements - maybe just walk it back and say what we should do with corners without them.  

Since you lost the argument and had to make up shit about Barça, which is pretty lame, here's a percentage for you: since I have been in Barcelona we've won 5 of 30 Champions Leagues, which is an even better percentage than your useless EPL corner kick goal stat. 16%. 

In none of those did we score a goal on a corner, didn't need to.

Kinda like Canada qualifying for Qatar.

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Has anyone been following the post-match summary from the Uruguayan media? Just curious to know what they might be saying.

I've read a few articles and listened to one longish segment on Youtube today.

Most do not really deal with their merits or defects, oddly enough. For example, they were unconcerned they did not have possession, or did not get corners. Some felt they were relaxed in the 2nd half and some say too much so, giving us more initiative. 

They say the Canadian keeper was expecting a cross and was not prepared on the free kick, they were surprised De la Cruz even went for goal. Then, they were pleased Suárez has seemed to understand his new role, and praised him for the cross. 

They generally think their backbone is Valverde and Betancur. They were happy for Núñez but I was surprised they were still unsure about him, maybe because he's had a slow-ish start at Liverpool

The main story is that Araujo, their best defender, has decided to be operated and not opt for a less intrusive solution to his odd muscle injury ("avulsion fracture of the adductor longus tendon in his right thigh"). This means he could miss the WC, so that is the main concern, because Jiménez is just coming back from injury for Atlético and is injury prone (as is Araujo, in fact). 

Then, they felt the back line with the two Cáceres in the middle did the job against us, but they are not exactly sure if that will work at the WC. 

It was overall pleased, and mostly worried about their own things. 

One did mention Borjan's past in Argentina.

The broadcast I listened to yesterday, Fox Mexico, did find that Davies was poorly used and should have been in his natural wing or outside role. But I did not listen to a Uruguay play by play.

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since you lost the argument and had to make up shit about Barça, which is pretty lame, here's a percentage for you: since I have been in Barcelona we've won 5 of 30 Champions Leagues, which is an even better percentage than your useless EPL corner kick goal stat. 16%. 

Mate. Come on.

Barcelona are one of the great clubs with great results over years  but (as a part of a joke) I pointed out the fact that in recent history they had a 3-0 first leg win overturned, in the end, by a corner that they were rightly embarrassed about not defending.

I also showed recent video that Barcelona itself compiles of the team scoring from corners and their fans reacting like fans do when their team scores.  The club and the fans obviously care something about corners.

What of that was made up? Do you think people can't look back up at posts?

Just saying someone lost an argument (that corners are a part of modern football?) without any evidence and then falsely accusing them of something like making stuff up, then coming up with a non sequitur of a stat are bad attempts to move away from any real discussion.

On the other hand, when I have said you made something up, I show exactly how, for example.

Canada needs to get better at corners to give us the best chance of getting results at the World CupBecause they are a part of modern football.

Just because you disagree with how much people express that does not mean you can throw logic and football facts out the window in your response. 

Night, mate. Always interesting.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You didn’t score a goal off a corner... maybe true. But you were knocked out of the champions league off one. Your boy Puyol also put Spain in the World Cup final off one. 

Corners don’t matter is one of the most elementary bad takes you can have. When you think about all the ways a goal can be scored corner kicks are right up there. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

18 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Never heard of this guy. Enjoyed his no fluff analysis and now subscribed.  Rightfully hard, not harsh, on Borjan (Borzhan lol) and Davies and positive, but not overly so, about other players and aspects of the game.

Lives in a tiny town in Alberta near some of my family, ha.

But great to hear straight opinions and I agree with a lot of it.   

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That little "Canadiana" number he's sporting looks suspiciously like he's just cut up a walmart shirt and sewn it onto an adidas tracksuit lol. But yeah, I can handle a bit of cringe here and there when the majority of it is solid...and actually somewhat entertaining.

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Lol so I wasn't the only one who did some internet sloothing to find this guys location. Nice haha

I like his content as well btw. Hope he keeps it up. I have seen the majority of his videos and have shared a couple here.

8 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Never heard of this guy. Enjoyed his no fluff analysis and now subscribed.  Rightfully hard, not harsh, on Borjan (Borzhan lol) and Davies and positive, but not overly so, about other players and aspects of the game.

Steve is in the Foot Soldiers and has been in the supporters section at Cavalry games this year. You can see him in the foreground a bit in this clip. Drives in from Edmonton for some games. Not the only one who does so either.

16 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I agree with his points on Borjan and Davies, but I'm sorry. OneSoccer did not do a wonderful job on this game when, one minute before kickoff, they're having "technical difficulties" and we miss the first 15 minutes -- including a goal. 

I think this loss to Uruguay will be very similar to the Gold Cup losses to the USA and Mexico. It is a challenge and an incentive to up their game. And I think they will move up to the next level once November rolls around.

Well, I'll either be right once the WC comes around or I was looking at the team with rose coloured glasses.

5 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

OneSoccer did not do a wonderful job on this game when, one minute before kickoff, they're having "technical difficulties" and we miss the first 15 minutes -- including a goal. 

I was wondering if someone would mention that.  I think I'd be a little peed if the only reason I paid for a service was to watch the NT and in this case couldn't even see that.  Is that too harsh, because for me that would be the only reason I would pay for it.

9 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I was wondering if someone would mention that.  I think I'd be a little peed if the only reason I paid for a service was to watch the NT and in this case couldn't even see that.  Is that too harsh, because for me that would be the only reason I would pay for it.

I mean, I like watching other content on there, but the CMNT is the primary reason for my subscription. 

Canadá got streetwised by the Uruguayans dirty arts fellows.

School for schmuks.  No.

School for streetwise footballers!!!!

Nothing , I say nothing can replace the footie pick-up games, no money threw into fancy academies.  

Of course Germany won WC with money threw into high performance centers since 1996 to get the fruits in 2014, but that was an anomaly the black swam in international football.  Nothing replaces the hungry in the belly because you didn't have a meal, so people play football to come even with life, that streetwise attitude shall never die!!!!

Uruguay both goal, Canada mistakes and don't get me starting with your coach who got schooled by the streetwise football mantra!!!

The more I think about it, this window was like watching a club team.

One sitting in the middle of the table. Handles one side in the bottom half  of the league fairly easily and manages the result.

Then gets behind on small details and errors against a team near the top of the table, and can't get back. They get up early and they manage the result. You play like that and maybe, end of season, you could be vying for a Conference Leagues spot.

To beat a team that is better than you on paper or in ranking, you have to come up with something special almost always. Luck both ways, and something special. To draw, it's actually pretty well the same, a draw against a superior side is huge.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Sorry to reopen a conversation that has died down. I feel like some people have a 1 game memory. There were positives and negatives in the game against Uruguay, but the people saying Larin just isn't good enough to play in the World Cup, and Davies should be pushed back to defense, seem to not realize they are talking about our all time leader in goals (Larin) and our all time leader in assists (Davies). As has been mentioned, Larin scored a couple goals against USA and Mexico. Davies assisted both of our goals away to Mexico and USA.

Yes, Larin was pretty invisible in this game, and he does often have too heavy a touch, but he can also finish. Yes, Davies was trying to do too much at times, but even the threat of him upfield helps occupy the opponent, if nothing else.

I think having Osorio and Buchanan (from the start) could have made a sizable difference. Hopefully everyone is good to go when the World Cup comes around.

And also, sometimes even good teams lose by multiple goals to other good teams. There were 3 teams in the 2018 World Cup that lost a group stage match by 2 or more goals and still went on to the round of 16. We are still underdogs in our group, but we haven't just been assured of failure at the World Cup after this friendly.

Larin is what he is. He's a decent goal scorer but he's meat and potatoes in the run of play. He's ok. Anyone who knows the game when you introduce the them to the cmnt immediately points out that they think Larin is garbage. You have to tell them yah I get it but trust me he'll figure out a way to score and then ultimately he does and people scratch their head. He's always been like this I'm not sure why people are still trying to figure him out all these years later

On 9/30/2022 at 12:42 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Soccer Steve!!!!! I wondered what happened to him.

Anyone in the soccer community in Edmonton from the early 2000s will remember him. He used to have a weekend footy radio show here, and used to host Premier League/Champions League watch parties at various pubs around town.

Glad to see he is still around talking footy! 

• 4 weeks later...

Uruguay is looking like one of the most in form teams going into the World Cup with world class midfield Betancur and Valverde. Valverde looking like one of the best players in the world right now. They have a ton of other top players, strong defense and top flight strikers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they made it very far in this World Cup.

Looking back our 2-0 loss and level of attacking play against them was actually quite impressive.