Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm a bit surprised that we have more keepers for this friendly than strikers. Given the two big gaffes that Pantemis made in the last Impact match, its difficult to argue that he is going in on better form than either Crepeau or St. Clair. I guess it's just cover in case one of the obvious 3 keeper choices gets injured prior to the WC (fingers crossed that doesn't happen).

For a one off game against Bahrain, why do we need more than 2 strikers?  This is a strange criticism.  The goal of this match is to get the following people game time: Cavallini, Osorio, Kaye, Kone, Miller, Johnston, Piette, Laryea and maybe Waterman (not needed for Crepeau because he hasn't had any time off).  Everyone else is just filler.

21 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Yeah was about to say that. I'm surprised Godinho at least didn't get the call. Also I know Teibert's nothing special and definitely not going to move the needle this or next cycle, but the guy must have peed in JH's cornflakes or something to have arguably his best seasons at club level over the last two years and still get zero caps since 2020.

Teibert is recovering from ankle surgery, so that would have made any kind of pondering by the coaching staff a moot point.

This might also give Caps fans a bit of perspective around someone like Raposo, though I am sure we'll get a press release from the club saying that he wasn't called because of a lingering injury suffered at the end of the season, or something else to that effect.  Godinho?  Maybe a little surprised because he is familiar to the program.  Also, no Metcalfe, in full fitness with his club season recently finished.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

For a one off game against Bahrain, why do we need more than 2 strikers?  This is a strange criticism. 

I wasn't criticizing the number of strikers. Heck, I wasn't even criticizing the number of keepers, just saying I was surprised that we brought 3 when one is very unlikely to be named in the WC squad, except, as I pointed out, in the event of injury which I hope doesn't happen of course.

14 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I'm a bit surprised that we have more keepers for this friendly than strikers. Given the two big gaffes that Pantemis made in the last Impact match, its difficult to argue that he is going in on better form than either Crepeau or St. Clair. I guess it's just cover in case one of the obvious 3 keeper choices gets injured prior to the WC (fingers crossed that doesn't happen).

It’s also for training purposes. 3 goalies means you can run 3 simultaneous shooting drills at once. For the actual game, Crepeau will start and finish most likely, unless they sub in St. Clair at halftime, but I doubt Crepeau will play in Qatar, let alone St. Clair.

Of the 21 players, I can see 10 (Crepeau, St. Clair, Miller, Johnston, Laryea, Kaye, Kone, Osorio, Piette, Cavallini) being on the final squad. 

Waterman and Henry are likely going, especially with the injury to Scoot Kennedy.  Edwards is on the bubble.  

With 6 subs, the outfield players that are going to Qatar will likely see most of the playing time for this game. The rest are given a taste of what it is like to be part of the prep for the World Cup.  

Just now, lenny said:

I don't think Edwards is filler, or at least shouldn't be.

It all depends on how things will be set up.  He is secondary to both Laryea and Johnston and if Herdman wants both of them on the field in defensive positions (with Johnston on the right and Laryea on the left), that might mean that Edwards will sit and I'm fine with that.  If Herdman goes with five at the back, then maybe there is a spot for him to start this one.

Edwards is probably the first of the next tier (after the ones I already mentioned) that might need playing time.  But again, that's secondary to making sure all the other guys get serious game action.

If we can see Osorio, Kone and Piette start together that would be crucial, I think.  Obviously not that starting 3 in Qatar but all should see the pitch.  

Similar in a back three with Waterman/Henry as a Vitoria analog. Johnston and Millar are Qatar starters. 

Laryea and Edwards as wingbacks. Both could be there.  Should be, with Richie.

Cavallini with An Other upfront or slightly behind him. 

Getting the best players, who have the most chance being there, playing together again. 

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Edwards is probably the first of the next tier (after the ones I already mentioned) that might need playing time.  But again, that's secondary to making sure all the other guys get serious game action.

I think Edwards should have been called in the last window and has made the case this season that he should be given the chance to compete for Adekugbe's spot. I assume because he wasn't that Herdman agrees with you, but we'll see what he does next week.  

Any player that JH plans on starting or who will get minutes in Qatar , will start this game. Which means Johnston and Miller at the back.  Unless Henry is on the WC squad for moral support, he will probably start if healthy. Same for Oso and MAK.  

2 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Any player that JH plans on starting or who will get minutes in Qatar , will start this game. Which means Johnston and Miller at the back.  Unless Henry is on the WC squad for moral support, he will probably start if healthy. Same for Oso and MAK.  

I'm betting that Henry starts between Miller and Johnson in a three at the back, then possible tactical adjustment to a four man backline, with Waterman getting sub minutes. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

image.png.36e6dc145f8b2f650d8365f6e97661f9.png

This is a logical prediction, but I want to mention that Piette-Osorio-Kaye was the top choice for our 2020 camp poutine. Fraser got the start in one (both?) of the Barbados matches, but when it came to the big match against Iceland this was our midfield 3. 

Why do I mention this? Because I wasn't impressed with them, despite them being our best on paper given the selection. Piette has evolved a bit since then, and I believe Osorio is a better player now than he was back then, but Kaye has arguably regressed (slightly) and like I said, I wasn't impressed with them during that Iceland match.

Maybe it was the day and the opponent, it just stands out in my mind as being predictable and lacking impetus going forward. As such, I would seriously consider starting Kone, if not ahead of Kaye, then ahead of Osorio (who may not be fit to start anyways).

Osorio is excellent at finding pockets of space and feeding the attackers, but Kone gives us a secondary threat in this regard and gives that midfield some much needed unpredictability. Kaye has a great eye for that long killer pass with that left foot of his but considering how much Piette has improved his long passing game, I am willing to bring Kaye to the bench if it means we can start Kone. 

EDIT - looking at the highlights I think it was actually Fraser with Osorio and Piette, so maybe I am thinking of another match. Regardless though I still prefer Kone over Kaye for those reasons.

Edited by Obinna
correction