Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I seriously doubt Bahrein is paying travel.

They may offer accomodation or facilitate it; add training facilities. 

Hosting means just that: they are the host and we visit. They agree to the friendly and that makes it official. 

Was looking at their attendances for NT matches, hard to know for sure but I see crowds under 10,000 for many homes matches in the national stadium in Riffa.

Not sure I agree.  Bahrain has money like Qatar so could see them paying.  We were paying Iran a lot to come play us for a friendly so I could see them paying for travel as well as accommodation and training facilities.  They probably don’t get many opportunities to play World Cup bound sides (even if weaken) at home.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't think any Montreal player getting to an MLS final makes any sense for this friendly. Even if they get to semis, those players don't need to go into a camp immediately.

They need rest. A few days of down time. Then to get back to training, slowly. Then play the Japan friendly.

You don't taskmaster players into game readiness.

Not sure I agree with you here either.  It’s the World Cup and I think these guys wont want a break and will want to get right back into it. That being said, I wouldn’t expect most of them to play a full match.  You probably would see most play 45 or 60 minutes.  They will have a couple of months off after the World Cup as well (unlike the European based players).  Indeed, European leagues stop on the 13 November and the World Cup starts on 20 November which is essentially about the same time from the MLS final to this friendly.  And this friendly is a big difference from a World Cup match.  

19 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Not sure I agree with you here either.  It’s the World Cup and I think these guys wont want a break and will want to get right back into it. That being said, I wouldn’t expect most of them to play a full match.  You probably would see most play 45 or 60 minutes.  They will have a couple of months off after the World Cup as well (unlike the European based players).  Indeed, European leagues stop on the 13 November and the World Cup starts on 20 November which is essentially about the same time from the MLS final to this friendly.  And this friendly is a big difference from a World Cup match.  

I think NT players on Vancover and TFC will get at least 60 minutes, as they will not have played competitively for more than a month.  The Montreal players will more or less be match fit.  This camp could be an evaluation for some players on the bubble like Henry and Waterman.  It will be interesting to see how many young guys will come to this camp, with an eye towards 2026.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I see that on social media most "fans" are actually whining about this friendly, complaining that we should be playing far higher quality opponents from Europe on this date instead of Bahrain.

Perhaps Rick Westhead could do his next investigative article on why these fans are so stupid.

Haha that is so spot on 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I’m pretty sure England wanted to do this before and was denied by fifa.

No, they did something anyway and were fined by FIFA.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-poppy-ban-england-fine-35-000-scotland-a7484296.html

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

21 hours ago, patstew19 said:

Does anyone know when tickets will come on sale for Bahrain game? Also Japan game in Dubai? Plan is to hit up both these games before Qatar. 

My understanding is that the Japan game is being run by their FA so they will be managing the ticketing.  I don’t know about Bahrain but would be shocked if they didn’t ticket their own home game.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Wasn't that scam exposed, leading to the tournament being moved to winter?

That is correct. 

They lied and said they could air condition an outdoor stadium in extreme heat.

There are only 2 indoor stadiums at this World Cup. But because it is now in November/December the weather should be tolerable for players and fans 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

My understanding is that the Japan game is being run by their FA so they will be managing the ticketing.  I don’t know about Bahrain but would be shocked if they didn’t ticket their own home game.

It wont be as bad as playing in the southern states in the summer so it will be fine

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

My understanding is that the Japan game is being run by their FA so they will be managing the ticketing.  

This makes sense given the bizarre start time, 4.40pm local, 8.40am ET, 8.40pm in Tokyo….which is obviously set to serve Japanese interests/television 

Edited by ensco

14 hours ago, trc2014 said:

From the chatter on OneSoccer it sounds like they may not have rights to the Bahrain game (a lot of chatter on the Japan game and not much on the Bahrain game).

That's the conclusion I came to as well. Doesn't sound like the Bahrain game will be shown.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:32 AM, RJB said:

Would like to see the team add a poppy or black armband for this game, given it will be Remembrance Day.  Not sure they're allowed to by FIFA, but should certainly try.

I do not think they are allowed by FIFA to wear symbols onn there Uniforms . I believe England tryed a few years ago and they were denied . Unfortunatly Thanks to the Don Cherry crowd the Poppy has become a political symbol  which is not at all meant to be, it is a symbol of remembrance on the devasting effects of War  and the after effects  which society still has not learned yet  and also the proceeds go to help the vetrans .  They should wear black armbands