Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

Thanks I almost started one too.

First rumour I saw:

I think they Costa Rica (provided they qualify) would be better preparation.

US & Canada don’t play anything close to Mexicos style.

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

For selfish reasons, I hope we can get an England friendly sometime in June. 

Herdman could work his magic for this. 

Won't happen unless England fly to North America, which they won't because of the Wembley friendly and UEFA Nations League. So this is dead for June.

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

Thanks I almost started one too.

First rumour I saw:

The Spanish languages tabloids say they are looking at us for September. They are also looking at the USA or El Salvador ( in the US ).

So this friendly only happens if we don't fly to Europe in September. If we do go to Europe, Argentina will play El 🇸🇻 and 🇺🇸. 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Won't happen unless England fly to North America, which they won't because of the Wembley friendly and UEFA Nations League. So this is dead for June.

The Spanish languages tabloids say they are looking at us for September. They are also looking at the USA or El Salvador ( in the US ).

So this friendly only happens if we don't fly to Europe in September. If we do go to Europe, Argentina will play El 🇸🇻 and 🇺🇸. 

The fact that all UEFA teams will be playing Nations League in September it may make more sense to play at home that window.

Maybe we can play an African side too

10 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Or definitely if Canada are allowed to do 3 friendlies before November then my opponents for Canada would be:

Germany which matches up with Belgium 

Algeria which matches up with Morocco 

Serbia which matches up with Croatia 

Yes, something like this, agreed.

Those saying England: we may be good for England, but they are not good for us. Not even if we get out of the group stage. 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we need a two-match window of friendlies that could be Serbia and Tunisia. And then one more before the tournament starts that could be a non-qualified team, just to get a bit of game fitness and work on some things. Not as important who the rival is. We are not going to get much more. 

As we are probably paying to fly Nigeria out these days for the women, I would imagine we could do something similar in June, but as I say: we'd have to pay.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Serious question, have not heard or seen anything: what was the bonus for qualifying for the World Cup?

I understand our players get a per-game payment for NT games. I was not sure if the women and men got something similar even, if there was some sort of parity clause. I think it is just for being called up, not related to playing.

So what was the bonus for qualifying? Was there also a bonus for finishing first, or for qualifying directly and not through the playoff? Per player. And for the coaching staff.

I would imagine a new set of bonuses are being negotiated with the team for Qatar. For going. For points in the group. For getting out of the group. And for successive rounds. Usually this would be something that the captains would negotiate with the CSA.

Here's an older article on match fees and WC bonuses for the top clubs, who pay 2-3000 to start a match, and most offering half a million to multi-million to each player for a WC trophy.

https://www.totalsportal.com/football/worldcup/match-fee-players-bonuses/

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

UEFA Nations League srews up our chances of playing a Euro team on an official FIFA window.

All UEFA teams are not available in September. 

For June we could try to set up a match with one of the teams that will have their matches canceled because Scotland, Ukraine and Wales will be in the WC playoff. Possible opponents are Netherlands or Ireland.

The other options are to play during non FIFA dates. Maybe in July? 

Finally we could probably set up one final friendly right before the WC starts. Somebody suggested playing Turkey at Besiktas stadium. Perhaps on the Thursday before our 1st match. Would be a good place to set up camp before heading to Qatar

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Serious question, have not heard or seen anything: what was the bonus for qualifying for the World Cup?

I understand our players get a per-game payment for NT games. I was not sure if the women and men got something similar even, if there was some sort of parity clause. I think it is just for being called up, not related to playing.

So what was the bonus for qualifying? Was there also a bonus for finishing first, or for qualifying directly and not through the playoff? Per player. And for the coaching staff.

I would imagine a new set of bonuses are being negotiated with the team for Qatar. For going. For points in the group. For getting out of the group. And for successive rounds. Usually this would be something that the captains would negotiate with the CSA.

Here's an older article on match fees and WC bonuses for the top clubs, who pay 2-3000 to start a match, and most offering half a million to multi-million to each player for a WC trophy.

https://www.totalsportal.com/football/worldcup/match-fee-players-bonuses/

The Northern Futbol guys keep saying $15 million 

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Northern Futbol guys keep saying $15 million 

I am not referring to what FIFA pays the CSA for qualifying, which I think I heard was 12 million euros, what I think you are talking about. I am speaking of the deal signed between the captains and the CSA last summer, which would have established bonuses for reaching goals (qualification, in this case). 

Reasonable would have been something between 1-2 million, divided between players based on call-ups, perhaps, and perhaps minutes. 

I also suspect Herdman and his staff had a bonus they would divide up the way teams in enterprises do once meeting annual objectives.

Why can't the CSA do a 45 men camp in June and then do a split squad for Nations League and World Cup friendlies? Then, we can get 2 friendlies in June in Canada, 2 games in September, and 1 in November? The non-committed duos can play in the World Cup friendlies with no repercussions too.

I want to play Iran and Serbia at home in June. England and Germany away in September. Turkey in Turkey in November.

7 minutes ago, ballerz said:

Why can't the CSA do a 45 men camp in June and then do a split squad for Nations League and World Cup friendlies? Then, we can get 2 friendlies in June in Canada, 2 games in September, and 1 in November? The non-committed duos can play in the World Cup friendlies with no repercussions too.

I want to play Iran and Serbia at home in June. England and Germany away in September. Turkey in Turkey in November.

England and Germany aren't available in September 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

For June we could try to set up a match with one of the teams that will have their matches canceled because Scotland, Ukraine and Wales will be in the WC playoff. Possible opponents are Netherlands or Ireland.

The other options are to play during non FIFA dates. Maybe in July? 

Netherlands in Netherlands would be ideal. 

but Fuck I hate that Nations League is pooping all over what would be great prep.

Edited by Califax
Did some research

1 hour ago, narduch said:

England and Germany aren't available in September 

This keeps crossing my mind, but with the potential for Germany and Canada to meet as early as the round of 16, wouldn’t they want to avoid playing each other regardless of scheduling due to nations league?

6 minutes ago, ballerz said:

Scheduling conflict aside, why can't CSA run split teams in June?

They can but they won't. It's not Herdman's style. He wants to keep the brotherhood strong and tight-knit it seems.

2 hours ago, ballerz said:

Then, we can get 2 friendlies in June in Canada

Unlike the USA, it doesn't look like we will do 2 friendlies in June.

It's shaping up to be something like,

June:

CNL away + CNL home + a few days of training + friendly in the Americas

September:

2 friendlies in the America's (likely at least one at home)

November:

1-pre WC friendly in Europe of the Middle-East.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

They can but they won't. It's not Herdman's style. He wants to keep the brotherhood strong and tight-knit it seems.

Unlike the USA, it doesn't look like we will do 2 friendlies in June.

It's shaping up to be something like,

June:

CNL away + CNL home + a few days of training + friendly in the Americas

September:

2 friendlies in the America's (likely at least one at home)

November:

1-pre WC friendly in Europe of the Middle-East.

Why do you say that?

I am pretty convinced we'll travel to Europe, where half our team is based, and play a European and a N African team. No basis for that, just that it would seem the best prep. 

Getting out of the Americas is what we really need, we haven't faced a quality European team ever under Herdman.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why do you say that?

I am pretty convinced we'll travel to Europe, where half our team is based, and play a European and a N African team. No basis for that, just that it would seem the best prep. 

Getting out of the Americas is what we really need, we haven't faced a quality European team ever under Herdman.

We can go to Europe in September but who do we play if the UEFA teams are playing Nations League?

2 African teams? 1 African team and 1 Asian team?

What is the point of going to Europe if we don't actually play a UEFA team?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille