Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

1 hour ago, Shway said:

image.png.36e6dc145f8b2f650d8365f6e97661f9.png

I think a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 is more likely. Laryea as a winger in a 4-3-3 just seems so unlikely given that he wouldnt start there when we have our Qatar squad (unless we are holding a lead, switch to a 4-4-2/ 4-5-1 etc) .  I also think Herdman is leaning to a 3 ATB for the WC so it makes sense to get reps in that formation. 

3-5-2
Crepeau
Edwards miller henry Johnston Laryea
Piette Kaye Oso/Kone (this all depends on Oso's fitness)
Cavallini Akinola 

3-4-3
Crepeau
Piette Kone 
Shaffelberg Cavallini Oso/Nelson 

44 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

3-5-2
Crepeau
Piette Kaye Oso/Kone (this all depends on Oso's fitness)
Cavallini Akinola

If Oso's not fit for Bahrain, I think he should probably be dropped in favour of other players, e.g. Spoony, Choinière. I doubt that's what Herman would do though... as evidenced by his inclusion of Cavallini whilst injured. I imagine he probably thinks of Oso as somewhat of a leader and important for team dynamics in the same way.

Edited by A_Gagne

38 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

It will most likely be Fraser.

Yeah, most likely why efforts were made to bring him in. Not that I agree with that though. Fraser and Oso are very different players. Fraser has an edge in terms of CMNT experience that must count for a lot in the coaching staff's mind, but if we're bringing in a guy from the Belgium 2nd div, we might as well throw some CanPL players like Bustos in the mix while we're at it.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

It says 18:30 local time on the Canada Soccer press release for the roster.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-announces-squad-for-away-camp-in-bahrain-november-2022/

That makes things even more confusing, since there is a 7 hour time difference between Canada ET and Bahrain, placing the game at 11:30am ET.
But then maybe the daylight savings time adjustment this weekend will change that to an 8 hour time difference, in which case 10:30am ET.

1 minute ago, spinrack said:

That makes things even more confusing, since there is a 7 hour time difference between Canada ET and Bahrain, placing the game at 11:30am ET.
But then maybe the daylight savings time adjustment this weekend will change that to an 8 hour time difference, in which case 10:30am ET.

It'll be the latter.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Should note that the fact Fraser's club was cool with letting him leave while his team is in a relegation scrap isn't the best look.

I wonder if he’s planning a transfer in January elsewhere. His plan was probably to play for a team that would get promoted, and being that they may actually get relegated, I’m wondering if he knows he’s going to the CPL or Norway or something so the team is letting him go for what should be irrelevant games.

IIRC Belgium’s relegation system has the bottom half of the table play a tournament so while I assume finishing higher means you have a weaker opponent, I don’t think his missing these games this early in the season has much of an impact.  

36 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Speaking of which:

A couple of notes from the interview.

From the way that Mr. Herdman answered the questions, barring major injury, Atiba Hutchinson and Doniel Henry are going to be part of the 26  squad.  He said that normally 16-17 players will be contributors, the rest will have to be ready to step up, but in meantime, be able to cheer the team on, be able to make some type of contribution.

That call to Scott Kennedy sounded heart wrenching.  Fingers crossed that no more of those injury related conversations will have to take place.