Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

Logical Roster for match against Bahrain: 25 guys. I left out Henry. I am sure that you folks will have opinions about this group. Who have I missed? Who should not be included? Also, not all of these players will necessarily be healthy.

The CPL guys are partly warranted and partly a public relations move to create CPL excitement. Do any of these guys belong in this practice squad?

Keepers (3) Crepeau, St Clair, plus one of Pantemis, Breza or Hasal

Defenders (8)  Cornelius, Miller, Waterman, Johnston, Laryea, Edwards, Brault-Guillard, Marshal-Rutty

Midfield (6)  Kaye, Kone, Osorio, Piette, M. Choiniere, Nelson

Forwards (8) Akinola, Tabla, Cavallini, O. de Rosario, Rea, Pacius, Shaffelburg, Russel-Rowe.

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

Logical Roster for match against Bahrain: 25 guys. I left out Henry. I am sure that you folks will have opinions about this group. Who have I missed? Who should not be included? Also, not all of these players will necessarily be healthy.

The CPL guys are partly warranted and partly a public relations move to create CPL excitement. Do any of these guys belong in this practice squad?

Defenders (8)  Cornelius, Miller, Waterman, Johnston, Laryea, Edwards, Brault-Guillard, Marshal-Rutty

Forwards (8) Akinola, Tabla, Cavallini, O. de Rosario, Rea, Pacius, Shaffelburg, Russel-Rowe.

Why would Cornelius be there and not with his club ?

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

17 North America based players (inc. 3 keepers) have been called up since the last Gold Cup, FWIW:

Alistair Johnston    9/18/2022
Dayne St. Clair    9/18/2022
Ismaël Koné    9/18/2022
Joel Waterman    9/18/2022
Kamal Miller    9/18/2022
Lucas Cavallini    9/18/2022
Mark-Anthony Kaye    9/18/2022
Maxime Crépeau    9/18/2022
Richie Laryea    9/18/2022
Samuel Piette    9/18/2022
Doneil Henry    6/6/2022
Raheem Edwards    6/6/2022
Cristián Gutiérrez    3/20/2022
Jonathan Osorio    3/20/2022
Zachary Brault-Guillard    1/22/2022
James Pantemis    11/7/2021
Jacob Shaffelburg    10/4/2021

Was there some speculation that a few players (Hutch, Wotherspoon) may be granted a special release?

I think as they flesh out the list above it would be with players needed to fill out training rosters - like a central defender or two and, at the very least, one striker (ideally 2 or 3).

So, the above is 19, plus one (or both) of Didic/MacNaughton; Ayo and Tesho (or a better alternative 🤞); plus Choiniere, my personal favourite not listed already. That's a pretty complete roster.

Layer in a few youngsters.

Edited by gkhs

On 10/21/2022 at 10:53 PM, patstew19 said:

Does anyone know when tickets will come on sale for Bahrain game? 

It looks like tickets for the Bahrain game go on sale October 30th which is tomorrow:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkOTV4fsFgx/

Can anybody translate the Arabic writing in the photo?

On 10/22/2022 at 8:50 PM, JamboAl said:

My understanding is that the Japan game is being run by their FA so they will be managing the ticketing.

I believe they announced that ticket details for that match would be released at a later date but I'm not sure if they are out yet.

19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It looks like tickets for the Bahrain game go on sale October 30th which is tomorrow:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkOTV4fsFgx/

Can anybody translate the Arabic writing in the photo?

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-to-face-bahrain-as-part-of-preparations-ahead-of-the-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022/

"away match in Bahrain will be played at the Al-Khalifa Stadium (18.30 local / 09.30 ET / 06.30 PT) "

If the match is at 6:30pm in Bahrain. They are 7 hours ahead of Eastern time. After daylight savings ends they will be 8 hours ahead correct?

Isn't that 10:30am Eastern and not 9:30am ? or am I failing at basic arithmetic?

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-to-face-bahrain-as-part-of-preparations-ahead-of-the-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022/

"away match in Bahrain will be played at the Al-Khalifa Stadium (18.30 local / 09.30 ET / 06.30 PT) "

If the match is at 6:30pm in Bahrain. They are 7 hours ahead of Eastern time. After daylight savings ends they will be 8 hours ahead correct?

Isn't that 10:30am Eastern and not 9:30am ? or am I failing at basic arithmetic?

Maybe Canada Soccer forgot about the end of DST??