Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

I

It's the one thing that Saskatchewan has that I'm envious of.

There's more to be envious of.  Currently a resident. More affordable homes, accessible health care (in Stoon and Regina), short commutes. And since no one wants to live here, you can find work pretty easily.

Actually, finding a place is a lot easier, too. While SGI has its issues, I like the car-insurance structure. You pay your registration and basic insurance together. Package policies are purchased extra but at a minimal cost and give you really good coverage in general. Telecoms prices are more reasonable than a lot of other provinces. If you graduated from a post-sec school and live in Sask, you can apply for the Graduate Retention Program and get potentially thousands of dollars a year back for multiple years to offset your taxes.

Cons are the cold, awful snow-clearing in Stoon and P.A. (Regina's not as bad), expensive education, and you pretty much need a car. People can say there's nothing to do, but I don't find that to be true. I've met a lot of good people. 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I do think they will use the Bahrain game to decide if Henry and Osorio are ready.

Based solely on Herdman's most recent comments, Henry seems like a lock.

Osorio is the big one strictly from a health perspective.  To me, the bubble guys are Fraser and Waterman (due to the Kennedy absence), though I think the former's hopes might have been eclipsed by Wotherspoon.  Pantemis gets his ticket to Qatar due to Crepeau's misfortune.  The other guys are, in the words of Bob McCown, just other guys getting exposure for next year and beyond.

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

Panama just played Qatar and this week they take on KSA! How the heck are they able to get these friendlies arranged? I'm sure the Saudis are paying to host Panama as well

Qatar just played 3 Concacaf teams in the past week or so too.

Saudi Arabia shut down their league and are playing 5 friendlies in the lead up to the World Cup. Easy to do when you have loads of money and an all domestic team

On 10/21/2022 at 10:53 PM, patstew19 said:

Does anyone know when tickets will come on sale....Japan game in Dubai?

On 10/22/2022 at 8:50 PM, JamboAl said:

My understanding is that the Japan game is being run by their FA so they will be managing the ticketing.

Tickets for the Japan game are now on sale. Unlike the Bahrain game these tickets are available online:

https://www.jfa.jp/news/00030891/

Three categories:
70 Emirati Dirham ≈ $26 CAD ( in the stand opposite the benches )
140 Emirati Dirham ≈ $51.50 CAD ( behind the player benches )
400 Emirati Dirham ≈ $147 CAD (VIP)

The first category seems best if you want to be seen on camera and want the players to see you.

5 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Wonder if anyone will make the squad/lose their projected spot based on playing in the warm up camp. 

With Davies’ fitness questionable, we need more cover for Adekugbe at left back. I think Edwards gets in over one of the wingers on the bubble. 

Edited by footballfreak

6 hours ago, footballfreak said:

With Davies’ fitness questionable, we need more cover for Adekugbe at left back. I think Edwards gets in over one of the wingers on the bubble. 

I thought about that.  Edwards certainly provides more versatility at LWB and LB (his club position) but I also sense that Herdman might prefer Laryea as the back up in both positions.  But it is a good point and I really like how Edwards worked his wsy back into the NT picture through his work at club level.

On 11/7/2022 at 12:05 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Tickets for the Japan game are now on sale. Unlike the Bahrain game these tickets are available online:

https://www.jfa.jp/news/00030891/

Three categories:
70 Emirati Dirham ≈ $26 CAD ( in the stand opposite the benches )
140 Emirati Dirham ≈ $51.50 CAD ( behind the player benches )
400 Emirati Dirham ≈ $147 CAD (VIP)

The first category seems best if you want to be seen on camera and want the players to see you.

Sounds good, bought first category as they were the cheapest

The more I think about it, when we play Japan, I wouldn’t play David, Eustaqiuo, Vitoria and Buchanan (obviously Davies too).They’ve played enough with everyone the last 18 months and have played a lot of soccer this season. They’re too important and I wouldn’t risk it. I’d play Larin and Atiba, plus everyone else, but not those 4. 

30 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

The more I think about it, when we play Japan, I wouldn’t play David, Eustaqiuo, Vitoria and Buchanan (obviously Davies too).They’ve played enough with everyone the last 18 months and have played a lot of soccer this season. They’re too important and I wouldn’t risk it. I’d play Larin and Atiba, plus everyone else, but not those 4. 

I would play all of those guys save Davies, if not just for the first half or something. I think it's important to get those last minute adjustments set up properly, but I don't think it's worth playing them 90 to win the game or anything.

That said, it will be a massive moral boost for us if we can beat Japan, since it's been a minute since we've beat a good team.

23 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I would play all of those guys save Davies, if not just for the first half or something. I think it's important to get those last minute adjustments set up properly, but I don't think it's worth playing them 90 to win the game or anything.

That said, it will be a massive moral boost for us if we can beat Japan, since it's been a minute since we've beat a good team.

Not sure everything is set as far as formation etc.  Need a half of the best we've got.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure everything is set as far as formation etc.  Need a half of the best we've got.

Not to mention, every single player on the team is about to play the most important games they’ve ever played in their career. I think that’s worth putting in a little extra and getting some last minute reps against a good team.