Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

So as it turns out...

#Canada hates the Whitecaps

Yeah was about to say that. I'm surprised Godinho at least didn't get the call. Also I know Teibert's nothing special and definitely not going to move the needle this or next cycle, but the guy must have peed in JH's cornflakes or something to have arguably his best seasons at club level over the last two years and still get zero caps since 2020.

Edited by A_Gagne

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

Surprised to see Fraser as the only Europe based player there. I maybe would’ve given Akinola’s spot to someone else and maybe get a look at a player who’s never been called before, but aside from that, no big surprises there.

Maybe give Akinola a shot but bring in 1 more striker?

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

Maybe give Akinola a shot but bring in 1 more striker?

I think the smartest thing would be for Herdman to pick players that best mirror our WC players who won't be in attendance, and I guess in that sense, Akinola is a fine stand in for the David or Ugbo role. A guy like Woobens Pacius or JRR could've filled that role too, but if Herdman wants to call in known quantities because it helps to plan around them, I'm fine with that too.

Edited by InglewoodJack

No surprise players, but a little surprised the squad isn't larger, if only for training flexibility.

Aside from that, its the 17 guys who have been called in recently minus Gutierrez, who could very well not be fit.

Plus, Ayo and MacNaughton, who are needed to make up basic numbers (although I'm not sure on what grounds they'd prefer LM to Dicic).

7 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

So as it turns out...

#Canada hates the Whitecaps

Feeling is always mutual I am sure :)

To be honest. There isn't anyone else I would have called. Had Guti not fallen out of favour he might have made it. There is no natural LB in that squad although Edwards is essentially it and Shaff/Laryea can play there. It was Hasal or Pantemis. I think Hasal finished the season stronger but had a rocky start in and out of the side with injuries and form. You could maybe argue Raposo ahead of Shaff though but coming back to the LB situation they probably picked Shaffelburg.

I'm a bit surprised that we have more keepers for this friendly than strikers. Given the two big gaffes that Pantemis made in the last Impact match, its difficult to argue that he is going in on better form than either Crepeau or St. Clair. I guess it's just cover in case one of the obvious 3 keeper choices gets injured prior to the WC (fingers crossed that doesn't happen).