Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

Herdman gets interviewed late night from Bahrain by McCown.

Players in good mood and good shape. Herdman lost his sister after Canada qualified. Holy trinity for Herdman is culture, tactical excellence & team chemistry – built off on John Wooden & Phil Jackson pyramids.

Each coach monitors 6-7 players. Herdman used to do mids but now on forwards. First goal is to enjoy the World Cup. Will allow players to attend other matches.

Confident in qualifying because Herdman had confidence in staff that came over from the women’s side, confidence in himself and then player pool emerged. Though, Herdman’s analysis showed Canada’s talent pool never fell below top 6 in Concacaf/Hex and 1 cycle was top 3. When Herdman took over, Canada’s talent pool was 5th in Concacaf. New talent emerging meant Canada’s pool was now 4th.

Only 3 teams out of past 6 World Cups advanced out of group stage that are on par with Canada. South Korea in 2002 is a model to follow. Key will be to focus on 3-4 things that make Canada favourties rather than underdogs.

Only the tactical architects group gets the 70 page dossiers on opponents and meet virtually. Fear that Canada will be embarrassed is real for the players. So, focus is achieving on small steps – first goal, first draw, first win..

49 minutes ago, red card said:

Herdman lost his sister after Canada qualified.

This is probably why he looked so beaten around the Panama players strike and some of us - me included - thought he was upset  by the situation at CSA. We forget these guys have a life outside of soccer.

3 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Did somebody here say that the Canada - Bahrain match will be shown on TSN tomorrow? Any information about this?  Thanks!

As @johnyb said, OneSoccer only.

There is nothing on TSN and nothing on Sportsnet:

https://www.tsn.ca/live/schedule

https://watch.sportsnet.ca/schedule/tvlistings

21 hours ago, red card said:

Players in good mood and good shape. Herdman lost his sister after Canada qualified. Holy trinity for Herdman is culture, tactical excellence & team chemistry – built off on John Wooden & Phil Jackson pyramids.

Each coach monitors 6-7 players. Herdman used to do mids but now on forwards. First goal is to enjoy the World Cup. Will allow players to attend other matches.

Confident in qualifying because Herdman had confidence in staff that came over from the women’s side, confidence in himself and then player pool emerged. Though, Herdman’s analysis showed Canada’s talent pool never fell below top 6 in Concacaf/Hex and 1 cycle was top 3. When Herdman took over, Canada’s talent pool was 5th in Concacaf. New talent emerging meant Canada’s pool was now 4th.

Only 3 teams out of past 6 World Cups advanced out of group stage that are on par with Canada. South Korea in 2002 is a model to follow. Key will be to focus on 3-4 things that make Canada favourties rather than underdogs.

Only the tactical architects group gets the 70 page dossiers on opponents and meet virtually. Fear that Canada will be embarrassed is real for the players. So, focus is achieving on small steps – first goal, first draw, first win..

How far we've come…. Lol Bob Mccown who was on the fan590 in the prime time slot for YEARS hated soccer and wasn’t shy to tell everyone. 

Ipsos poll says 34% of Canadians will be paying close attention to the tournament, while 66% don’t plan to pay close attention. 25% are planning to watch. 15% of Canadians describe themselves as football followers while global adults average is 34%. Survey was done late August to early September.

Canadians aged 18 to 34 are more interested in watching the event than their parents or grandparents, and they’re more likely to say the World Cup is more important to them than the Olympics.

24% said they’ll mostly cheer for another nation than Canada, that proportion jumps to 45% for Canadians aged 18 to 34. 

32% said they’re unsure how far Canada will make it in the World Cup. 16% believe Canada won’t make it out of the group stage, while 21% believe Canada will be eliminated in the round of 16. 4% believe Canada will win the FIFA World Cup, while 3% see them making it to the final, but losing.

Across 34 countries surveyed, 55% of adults are planning to watch. It's over 75% in UAE, Indonesia, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Peru, Brazil & India.

21% expect Brazil to win. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/9285633/fifa-world-cup-canada-qatar-interest-poll/

1 hour ago, red card said:

24% said they’ll mostly cheer for another nation than Canada, that proportion jumps to 45% for Canadians aged 18 to 34. 

gross. and while i can empathize if i moved to argentina for work tomorrow i would still be cheering more for canada - i doubt that 45% is all that scenario.  I bet a lot of that is cheering for popular teams.  we need to broadcast that Masai "Believe in yourself. Believe in your (country)" clip from the kawhi press conference

i say with absolutely zero data behind me

My local Global radio station seems quite happy about this poll and are downplaying our Canadian team's participation and the tournament in general, even the sports director is way more interested in NFL since his beloved Italy aren't involved! It's kind of sad but I expect interest to pick up as we get closer to kick off and hopefully by 2026 there will be huge momentum!

5 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

gross. and while i can empathize if i moved to argentina for work tomorrow i would still be cheering more for canada - i doubt that 45% is all that scenario.  I bet a lot of that is cheering for popular teams.  we need to broadcast that Masai "Believe in yourself. Believe in your (country)" clip from the kawhi press conference

Had a family gathering a few weeks ago and my niece brought her boyfriend (He fits into that 18 - 36 Category). He has mixed ethnicity and my wife asked if he was cheering for Canada at the WC, and he scoffed and laughed at the mere thought of it. I absolutely tore a strip off him for disrespecting the country he was born, raised and earn a good living in! My wife didn't talk to me for a week but it was worth it. I have no problem if someone is cheering for another country, especially if you were born or have ancestry there, but never bash/disrespect your home.

Edited by johnyb

15 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Had a family gathering a few weeks ago and my niece brought her boyfriend (He fits into that 18 - 36 Category). He has mixed ethnicity and my wife asked if he was cheering for Canada at the WC, and he scoffed and laughed at the mere thought of it. I absolutely tore a strip off him for disrespecting the country he was born, raised and earn a good living in! My wife didn't talk to me for a week but it was worth it. I have no problem if someone is cheering for another country, especially if you were born or have ancestry there, but never bash/disrespect your home.

I actually do have a problem with someone who's born here and doesn't cheer for Canada. At least be indifferent to the sport but if you're born here I got news for you.. you're Canadian

I have to say, I haven't really encountered any of this. Everyone I've spoken to is pretty pumped and excited. I'm expecting the country to stop next Wednesday. I really think it will surprise people the amount of real time interest

8 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

I'm Canadian, but have lived in Japan (3 years), the UK (4 years), and Australia (9 years, 3 1/2 years to present). I'm a Permanent Resident in Australia. I cheer for Canada first, in all sports. I also support Japan, in football, and Australia, in all sports but cricket, 'cause Australian cricketers are basically cunts. I'll be hoping for the Socceroos and Samurai Blue to get out of difficult groups, but to nowhere near the extent that I'll be cheering for Les Rouges.

England can get to fuck, though. I hope they lose all 3 group games.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm Canadian, but have lived in Japan (3 years), the UK (4 years), and Australia (9 years, 3 1/2 years to present). I'm a Permanent Resident in Australia. I cheer for Canada first, in all sports. I also support Japan, in football, and Australia, in all sports but cricket, 'cause Australian cricketers are basically cunts. I'll be hoping for the Socceroos and Samurai Blue to get out of difficult groups, but to nowhere near the extent that I'll be cheering for Les Rouges.

England can get to fuck, though. I hope they lose all 3 group games.

Didn't know that about Australian cricketeers, thanks.

I've been in Spain over half my life, but I support both Spain and Canada in almost everything, and if we face each other it depends on the sport and who needs to win more.

30 minutes ago, nolando said:

And Vancouver

Our neighbours of 35 years in North Burnaby....my dad's neighbours, really, since he's the only one who still lives in the house....are Croatian. The father and son-in-law are the only ones born over there. The wife and 3 kids were all born in Vancouver. They'll 100% be cheering for Croatia. The dad didn't even hesitate for a millisecond when I asked him the day of the draw who'd they be supporting.

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Our neighbours of 35 years in North Burnaby....my dad's neighbours, really, since he's the only one who still lives in the house....are Croatian. The father and son-in-law are the only ones born over there. The wife and 3 kids were all born in Vancouver. They'll 100% be cheering for Croatia. The dad didn't even hesitate for a millisecond when I asked him the day of the draw who'd they be supporting.

Now there's a "Canadian Heritage Minutes" commercial!

Another interesting Marca article, which is naturalised players on WC teams. 

This is a bit imprecise, because of the Spanish obsession for where you are born, which they overstate almost always. Still, the stats are interesting. Morocco with the most players born outside of their country, and also with two eligible for Spain, for example, along with the Milinkovic-Savic brothers for Serbia.

Really, considering our obsession with dual nationals, I think it is just Bono who could have played for us, that right? No one else, none of the Americans perhaps?

Another note, the country with the most number of players born there playing in Qatar is France, perhaps not surprisingly.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/mundial/2022/11/19/6377cd0aca4741836e8b4582.html

16688063535891.jpg

16688063527734.jpg

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I can understand the father's rationale (less so the kids). I've been living in the USA for 8 years, and about to get citizenship in a year or so. I can't see myself ever cheering for the USA over Canada, because Canada is where I was born/raised. Love of the motherland never fades.

1 hour ago, maplebanana said:

I can understand the father's rationale (less so the kids). I've been living in the USA for 8 years, and about to get citizenship in a year or so. I can't see myself ever cheering for the USA over Canada, because Canada is where I was born/raised. Love of the motherland never fades.

depends on whether you still have connections (family) or travel to the motherland.  If you don't, in time, loyalties can and do change. The memories will always stay though