Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

2 hours ago, maplebanana said:

I can understand the father's rationale (less so the kids). I've been living in the USA for 8 years, and about to get citizenship in a year or so. I can't see myself ever cheering for the USA over Canada, because Canada is where I was born/raised. Love of the motherland never fades.

Only anecdotal, but I've yet to meet a Croatian who moans and whines about how shitty Canada is and how amazing mother Croatia is.  I played youth soccer with several Canadian-born Croatians, and played adult soccer against a Croatian team.  I am sure there are plenty of naturalized and second gen Croatians who also love Canada, but they are almost blindingly nationalistic from my experience. Again, only anecdotal.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Another interesting Marca article, which is naturalised players on WC teams. 

This is a bit imprecise, because of the Spanish obsession for where you are born, which they overstate almost always. Still, the stats are interesting. Morocco with the most players born outside of their country, and also with two eligible for Spain, for example, along with the Milinkovic-Savic brothers for Serbia.

Really, considering our obsession with dual nationals, I think it is just Bono who could have played for us, that right? No one else, none of the Americans perhaps?

Another note, the country with the most number of players born there playing in Qatar is France, perhaps not surprisingly.

https://www.marca.com/futbol/mundial/2022/11/19/6377cd0aca4741836e8b4582.html

16688063535891.jpg

16688063527734.jpg

Matty Cash from Slough:  i am pretty sure that would be David Brent's favourite player.

I remember a time when the US, especially under Klinny, seemed to be nationalizing guys left, right, and centre (emphasis on "seemed," because I am sure someone on here will point out my error!). Now they are down to five.