Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Speaking of which:

Listening to that media conference, there were 2 message takeaways from JH that may answer a few unknowns. Just my take:

1. He mentioned how well he's got to know the players over the past 2 yrs and what each of them can bring in certain situations.  To me, it seems unlikely that a player who has not been with the team over the past 2 yrs..i.e. WCQ/Gold Cup 2021 will see the field even if selected in the 26 man squad. Waterman for example.

2. He mentioned how David always wanted to play even against lower teams like St. Kitts etc. Was that a shot at Arfield? and if so it means Scotty will not be in the final squad.... calm down everyone, it's just my take

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Listening to that media conference, there were 2 message takeaways from JH that may answer a few unknowns. Just my take:

1. He mentioned how well he's got to know the players over the past 2 yrs and what each of them can bring in certain situations.  To me, it seems unlikely that a player who has not been with the team over the past 2 yrs..i.e. WCQ/Gold Cup 2021 will see the field even if selected in the 26 man squad. Waterman for example.

2. He mentioned how David always wanted to play even against lower teams like St. Kitts etc. Was that a shot at Arfield? and if so it means Scotty will not be in the final squad.... calm down everyone, it's just my take

I definitely heard something similar - especially with his defence of Henry. Actually, Herdman was very clear about his thoughts on Henry's value to the team. So, Henry will be on the team, it seems. I just hope we don't need to lean on him for playing time. Sorry, but I am still trying to figure out how that wouldn't be a disaster.

8 hours ago, kacbru said:

Remember when a N American based CMNT roster included Indoor/Arena League players?  We've come a long way baby! 

Given who is in my avatar it's maybe worth pointing out that after the NASL folded up until MLS launched all the best players in North America were playing in the MISL and later the NPSL. Playing the indoor game didn't say anything negative about a player's quality at that point.

14 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I don't think this take is controversial.  Didn't we all suspect this?  We all remember Hoilett's cryptic tweet.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I like Ballou, but he would not fit the system…unless he would play a very poor man’s DeBruyne role in training.

To have a few players from CPL just to be filler at camp would have been a bone to throw at the young league. Not like any of them were challenging for a WC spot. 

42 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Larin got his first cap while at NCAA. In fact he played for our men's team before he played for the U20s 

I remember we were so desperate for strikers (Remember Frank Jonke?) that Floro straight up went to the NCAA to see if he could find someone there lmao

21 hours ago, spinrack said:

The Score app is showing 9:30 am CST which would be 8:30 EST. Could be that Daylight savings is messing everything up. Should be cleared up after this weekend.

3 minutes ago, johnyb said:

The Score app is showing 9:30 am CST which would be 8:30 EST. Could be that Daylight savings is messing everything up. Should be cleared up after this weekend.

9:30 am CST is 10:30 am EST. The Central time zone is an hour behind Eastern.

Just now, johnyb said:

Duh! Absolutely correct. I'm so used to converting EST to CST since the world revolves around TO, that I reversed the conversion.

Haha no problem. I've been dealing with it a lot this week as I work with people based in Europe, so it's been top of mind for me.

I think what's been messing people up is that we're actually in Daylight Savings Time right now (and are for the majority of the year) but people tend to attribute any switching of the clocks to DST. It's a super pedantic thing of me to point out that we are actually going to switch back to Standard Time on Sunday, but like I said, it's been top of mind this week. 

1 minute ago, RS said:

Haha no problem. I've been dealing with it a lot this week as I work with people based in Europe, so it's been top of mind for me.

I think what's been messing people up is that we're actually in Daylight Savings Time right now (and are for the majority of the year) but people tend to attribute any switching of the clocks to DST. It's a super pedantic thing of me to point out that we are actually going to switch back to Standard Time on Sunday, but like I said, it's been top of mind this week. 

Thanks, I always thought the Switch in November (Previously October) was the switch to DST. Just seems backwards to Save Daylight when the days are long. Put me in the camp that thinks we should scrap DST altogether. Anyway back to Discussing the friendly.

2 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Thanks, I always thought the Switch in November (Previously October) was the switch to DST. Just seems backwards to Save Daylight when the days are long. Put me in the camp that thinks we should scrap DST altogether. Anyway back to Discussing the friendly.

More time for the farmers (or my bricklaying dad) to work at night, in the summer when they needed to do the most work. Was the logic. Agree, with modern equipment it makes no difference. 

Cripes, the old farmer excuse.  As a former farmer, bricklayer and shingler we worked when there was daylight, it didnt matter what the damn clock said.  Shifting the time to better match the hours of daylight gained popularity in the wars to help save power.  Why we have kept it when plenty of the world never adopted it is a mystery.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Cripes, the old farmer excuse.  As a former farmer, bricklayer and shingler we worked when there was daylight, it didnt matter what the damn clock said.  Shifting the time to better match the hours of daylight gained popularity in the wars to help save power.  Why we have kept it when plenty of the world never adopted it is a mystery.  

I guess the farmer bit could be a myth. My dad liked it. The point would be that you would have a little bit more time before you had to set up lights - my memory of helping him - or whatever.  But he owned his own little business and always was working nights.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It's the one thing that Saskatchewan has that I'm envious of.