Ralph Priso

Shway

The 3-1 score in the loss to Cruz Azul doesn't reflect how badly TFC played but Priso stood out among the few TFC players who had a decent game.  His poise with the ball for an 18 year old  is impressive, always looking to advance the ball as shown by his 25m pass to Shaffleburg at the top of the box.   An underrated part of his game is his ball winning and tackling because he anticipates very well.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He reminds me of McKennie.

He’s been compared to adams🤣 I’ll take either. 

he was great last night, he’s staking his claim for a starting role. Would have liked to have seen Okello as Bradley’s minutes need to be managed, crowded TFC midfield.

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Yes I like how he plays direct. He doesn't just unload the ball. His passes are purposeful. I watched about 30 mins and he stood out to me also

Yea. I see the difference in Ralph and Baldi now. 
Ralph is a box to box midfielder, willing and able to join the play, link passes - boss the middle.

Baldy with Vancouver seems to play as a deep-deep lying midfielder that converts to a defender when attacking to spray perfect passes. A lot less agile/nimble on the ball as well. 

32 minutes ago, Bdog said:

On that note, Delgado was shocking last night and somehow played all game. 

Because of his engine. Plain and simple.
He's also played out of position, which completely imbalances the squad when you have one guy running a track race, and the other just looking to go inside, and leave room for the fullback which was Auro.

Overall the game was horribly coached. 

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

He’s been compared to adams🤣 I’ll take either. 

he was great last night, he’s staking his claim for a starting role. Would have liked to have seen Okello as Bradley’s minutes need to be managed, crowded TFC midfield.

It's not just that I see him as more of an 8.....but it's also the hair, honestly :)

What good is an engine if he cant make any plays?? Why play him out wide when he does so little out there??  We dont put Shafflebourg at DM and expect him to do the job.  It really seems like Delgado is the guy with the most experince on the bench (when they are playing Priso/Okello/Osos in the middle) and by default they throw him on the wing no matter how bad he plays.  At least give him a chance to play in the middle where his running around might be useful.  Priso coming on stronger and stronger damn near makes Fraser and Delgado expendable at this point.  Its nice to have the depth there, but either you are going with your young studs (Priso/Okello) or your not.  Not enough room for all these central mids..someone is getting squezed out when the new DP and Poz are here.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

What good is an engine if he cant make any plays?? Why play him out wide when he does so little out there??  We dont put Shafflebourg at DM and expect him to do the job.  It really seems like Delgado is the guy with the most experince on the bench (when they are playing Priso/Okello/Osos in the middle) and by default they throw him on the wing no matter how bad he plays.  At least give him a chance to play in the middle where his running around might be useful.  Priso coming on stronger and stronger damn near makes Fraser and Delgado expendable at this point.  Its nice to have the depth there, but either you are going with your young studs (Priso/Okello) or your not.  Not enough room for all these central mids..someone is getting squezed out when the new DP and Poz are here.  

I see your point here, but Delgado playing out of position has been giving Priso an opportunity, so I wouldn't complain too much.

Perhaps Armas doesn't care for a traditional winger out there at the moment. Will be interesting to see what happens when the new DP and Pozuelo are available. Someone is going to have to sit, but hopefully Priso has done enough. I think he's been great and the best of the young Toronto players.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Yea. I see the difference in Ralph and Baldi now. 
Ralph is a box to box midfielder, willing and able to join the play, link passes - boss the middle.

Baldy with Vancouver seems to play as a deep-deep lying midfielder that converts to a defender when attacking to spray perfect passes. A lot less agile/nimble on the ball as well. 

Baldy is next level at spraying around those long searching balls. To your point he just needs to be a bit more nimble and able to escape pressure. 

55 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

What impresses me about Priso is the speed of his play, he seems to know where the best pass will be before he receives the ball and then executes it.   He may be one of  those players who can play so quick because he sees the game in slow motion.

Agree with this.  Even when the CA player was close and pressing when Priso received the pass, he always knew immediately (or maybe beforehand) where the pass was going.  That kind of composure (in that sort of game, against those sorts of opponents) says a helluva lot for a kid who is 18.   To me, he is the heir apparent for JdG and I will be pretty surprised if he doesn’t end up doing well in his career.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I see your point here, but Delgado playing out of position has been giving Priso an opportunity, so I wouldn't complain too much.

Perhaps Armas doesn't care for a traditional winger out there at the moment. Will be interesting to see what happens when the new DP and Pozuelo are available. Someone is going to have to sit, but hopefully Priso has done enough. I think he's been great and the best of the young Toronto players.

Maybe Armas thinks Priso is a better option than Delgado (long term) and that is reason he is giving Priso the opportunity.  He could dump Delgado, slot Priso in and save himself maybe 200g on the cap??  Money they could spend on areas they dont have the depth.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

It’s a big clash, either double down on the kids or don’t. But there are current roster construct constraints, and a lot of bodies in there. Armas is starting to identify his players.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Baldy is next level at spraying around those long searching balls. To your point he just needs to be a bit more nimble and able to escape pressure. 

That's great and all, but still very one-dimensional.  Not many teams can afford to have that type of player in the 11.  Pirlo can get away with it at Juventus, but I doubt the White Caps will benefit much from having him on the field when playing the better MLS teams.

We saw how that worked out at the Olympic qualifiers, he was a liability not an asset. 

I thought Priso was quite good last night again, Terry Dunfield post game harped on about how much he struggled, really, what is he seeing that I'm not? I have seen enough of Delgado and his "good engine" doing a lot of nothing and as @dyslexic nam mentions he kills play after play when he has the ball around the box, it is frustrating to watch because I think the young Canadians will pay dividends if given enough of a chance!

1 hour ago, costarg said:

That's great and all, but still very one-dimensional.  Not many teams can afford to have that type of player in the 11.  Pirlo can get away with it at Juventus, but I doubt the White Caps will benefit much from having him on the field when playing the better MLS teams.

We saw how that worked out at the Olympic qualifiers, he was a liability not an asset. 

For sure. That's exactly what I'm implying. You also saw that for Canada. Against the better teams he turned in to a 1 trick pony. Plus if your gonna occupy the space in front of the 2 CBs you better be a big ball winner. But we're talking about young players here

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe Armas thinks Priso is a better option than Delgado (long term) and that is reason he is giving Priso the opportunity.  He could dump Delgado, slot Priso in and save himself maybe 200g on the cap??  Money they could spend on areas they dont have the depth.  

Could be the case, but I would kind of be surprised if Armas is thinking that far ahead at the moment. He is still very new in the role. I imagine his first priority would be to find the best combination of players. Delgado is both versatile and experienced, so I can see why Armas would use him there to start the season, and given how well Priso is doing Armas can afford to move Delgado.

I would be more concerned if Marky continues to start there once Toronto get back to full strength. I think we'll see the new Venezuelan DP at winger, Pozuelo will obviously play in the hole, but what happens to the other wing spot will be interesting. Schaffleburg hasn't hurt his chances, and Osorio can play as an inverted winger, kind of. How much of a chance do Rutty and Nelson get? In the two pivots we can see Bradley, Okello, Delgado, Priso, Osorio or Fraser.