Ralph Priso

Shway

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He really struggled in the first half. After his goal he came alive and was a difference maker - was good to see.

Google says he came in for an injured Auro. How did that work? Did Endoh slot in at right back, Delgado take the wing and Priso go into the central midfield position? Also, what exactly about his game was good in the second half out of curiosity? 

Edited by Macksam

12 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Google says he came in for an injured Auro. How did that work? Did Endoh slot in at right back, Delgado take the wing and Priso go into the central midfield position? Also, what exactly about his game was good in the second half out of curiosity? 

Delgado right back. Had a great view of his incisive giveaways in the second half

Edit: @Macksam sorry missed the part about Priso's second half to slag off Delgado. After his goal he seemed to be everywhere, winning most of his challenges and then finding someone (usually Bradley) to keep possession. He'd also make himself available when TFC was attacking, combining with Soteldo a couple times with some nice layoffs.  The yellow was also impressive since I've never seen someone leap quite like that for a professional foul.

Edited by sebdeserio

I love Priso. His passing is generally very positive, direct and quick. More importantly forward not just back. He has got a lot of flack this season but I don't think he has been bad, certainly not relative to how the rest of the team was playing. He is still learning. I think maybe they haven't figured out the best role for him and he still needs to think more in his defensive work. I love that he gets stuck in and has a great engine. 

33 minutes ago, Macksam said:

He won a lot of balls, (had some give aways too, but let he who is without sin cast the first stone at Delgado).  Had a couple hustle plays where he caught a RBNY from behind and disspossed him.  He was positive, moved forward, he didnt just get the ball and lay it off to Bradley every time, he got his head up dribbled forward and looked to make a forward play.  Solid game, and he was lucky enough to have a ball spill to him, but he put it away like a vet.  As Gianluca said, if it fell to Delgado they would still be looking for the ball about 25 rows deep in the stands, or he would have done a tidy back pass to Bradley.  

8 hours ago, Floortom said:

He really struggled in the first half. After his goal he came alive and was a difference maker - was good to see.

That was my assessment of it as well. Struggled for confidence at first and was lacking some sharpness but the goal made all the difference and he picked it up for the balance of the game. Needs minutes. 

9 hours ago, Shway said:

Future mnt player….the more he plays at his tender age, the faster he’ll get better. 

The problem is the game time.  The interim coach isn’t deviating from the TFC blueprint of playing bad or useless vets in favour of giving youngsters a run of games.  Delgado will keep giving the ball away and not create - ‘but he’s so tenacious’ and Slomar will keep making mistakes and getting caught because he can’t move, but they’ll always have their place in the lineup on a team that’s battling for the basement.

4 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I sometimes get the impression that we are much more willing to look over the glaring errors of tfcs Canadian players.  Priso was not great last night and we would be losing our minds if he was a young American getting minutes over a Canadian.

Full marks for the finish on the goal though.  That was calm and collected.

Was not as bad as Dlelgado and actually contributed to the attack.  He was real good after his goal so I wouldn’t say he was “not great”.

7 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I sometimes get the impression that we are much more willing to look over the glaring errors of tfcs Canadian players.  

I mean there’s no doubt about that - any Canadian who gets on the pitch and doesn’t lay a total egg gets hyped.

priso was bad in the first half including  a few very poor giveaways. But he really turned it around in the 2nd half. Not only the goal - but was very progressive and played out of the back and under pressure really well and sparked some good build up. 

6 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I sometimes get the impression that we are much more willing to look over the glaring errors of tfcs Canadian players.  Priso was not great last night and we would be losing our minds if he was a young American getting minutes over a Canadian.

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

I mean there’s no doubt about that - any Canadian who gets on the pitch and doesn’t lay a total egg gets hyped.

priso was bad in the first half including  a few very poor giveaways. But he really turned it around in the 2nd half. Not only the goal - but was very progressive and played out of the back and under pressure really well and sparked some good build up. 

Agreed.   A players performance is all relative.  But what we see is that too many players are assessed through a tunnel vision. People  just look at the micro aspect of ever single movement that player makes without looking at that player in relation to others.   Its very easy in soccer to look at a guy you want to see succesed and point out all the positives that he did and similarly look at another guy, and focus only on the negatives.   But the people, the professional people, who have to have to make the ultimate decsions,  have to look at the big picture.  

this is why the game by game player ratings dont work. And its also a reason why its good to wait and see for several games and outings before really judging.  

Kudos on the goal.  It was a nice goal.   But Priso still has to prove that he is an every day starter.  That asssesment is not yet complete.  

Edited by Free kick

33 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Was not as bad as Dlelgado and actually contributed to the attack.  He was real good after his goal so I wouldn’t say he was “not great”.

While there have been other games to complain about Delgado, last night was not one of them.  He played out of position last night after TFC went down 3 outside defenders due to the Gold Cup and injuries, and the NYRB did not seem to capitalize on this.

My biggest concern with priso is his passing.  For someone who wants to play in the middle of the park, there are too many passes that are off target or to no one.

1 minute ago, AvroArrow said:

While there have been other games to complain about Delgado, last night was not one of them.  He played out of position last night after TFC went down 3 outside defenders due to the Gold Cup and injuries, and the NYRB did not seem to capitalize on this.

My biggest concern with priso is his passing.  For someone who wants to play in the middle of the park, there are too many passes that are off target or to no one.

Lack of experience on Priso, a lot of those turnovers are under pressure.

most don’t see why he was dropped for what it’s worth. I’ve seen a few pundits say he’s been fantastic, not sure I’d go that far but he never should have been dropped.

47 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Wait, are you accusing us of bias?  US?  You must be a crazy person, i suggest hard medication and some serious introspect my friend.  I'm thouroughly insulted, I'm sure everyone else here is too.

29 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

These two statements don't go together when you consider that Delgado attempted 48 passes and connected on only 28 of them while Priso attempted 34 and connected on 29.

Delgado played "out of position" except for that most of the second half, his position was "wherever you want".  To his credit, he has an incredible engine and covered a lot of ground on the park.  However, when he had the ball at his feet, it was less successful.

I think some of the slack you are seeing given to Priso is that he's an 18 year old.  He needs these opportunities to get better and most see that he has a high ceiling if he gets those touches regularly.  Its not like he was a 24/25 year old Kevin Harmse coming on, which if I remember correctly was not defended so vehemently around here at the time when he was giving up the ball.

I was at the game and super excited to see him enter the game.  I am a big fan of his so I quickly told the people around me that he was a local teenage kid.  They kept coming to me saying how nervous he looked and how nervous he seemed to be playing.  Not sure that is a fair assessment but Priso was poor in the first half on the night.  Priso, along with all the TFC players picked it up for the final 35 minutes. 

I was actually quite shocked with everyone's comments until @AvroArrowcommented on the game.  I think he's a player for the future and was super excited for him to get his goal.  Seeing his smile light up after the goal and all his TFC team mates happy for him.  But it doesn't take away from his overall performance which I don't think was particularly good.  In my opinion one of his poorer games that was capped with a goal. 

Edit: I also want to make note that in a short sample under the new coach, it seems that he would rather not make any substitutions than put in some of the younger Canadians.  It will change when everyone returns from the Gold Cup and or injury but to me it doesn't bode well for some of the young Canadians but I hope I am wrong.  Excluding Silva as the backup goalie, TFC have had 8 substitutes to their disposal in the past two games; Dunn, Singh, Okello, Priso, Shaffelburg, Peruzza, Mullins & Jozy.  Of a possible 10 substitutions across the two games, he has only used 4 substitutions.  Jozy twice, Mullins & Priso (due to injury).  This makes me believe that there is either little faith in the young Canadians or that the coach feels a real to get results.  To be fair, I was at both the last two games and TFC looked fantastic on Saturday and I am not sure who would have been replaced.  And TFC looked to very good to finish the game last night.

Edited by Corazon

i dont know what people were watching last night,he had a rough 1st half but so did the whole team,but he was real solid in the 2nd half,i rather him learn and make mistakes than see delgado make the same blunders every game,oh yah delgado has got a engine.