Ralph Priso

Shway

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wonder if this suggests Ahmed will play out wide. Was already shaping up that way and this seems to back that up. 

Thing is, not sure Ahmed plays ahead of Adekugbe when he returns. Maybe Ali will be a Swiss Army knife?

I don't think this move will impact Ahmed. But on Adekugbe's return, have been wondering if they'd shift him over to the wide right, in place of Brown. Other option would be centrally, in place of Vite. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Wonder if this suggests Ahmed will play out wide. Was already shaping up that way and this seems to back that up. 

Thing is, not sure Ahmed plays ahead of Adekugbe when he returns. Maybe Ali will be a Swiss Army knife?

that's definitely the case. based on what vanni sartini and axel schuster have said, ahmed (RWB)/adekugbe (LWB) will probably be the wingbacks this year. sounds like they're looking at bringing in one more wingback (maybe a u22 initiative player since they have a slot open?), especially when ahmed and adekugbe could be missing for a stretch if (knock on wood) canada plays at copa america. seems like they're shifting from last year's 3-5-2 to a 3-4-2-1 or 3-4-3, so there'll be 2 CM spots for priso to try at get minutes at. caps just loaned out ngando, so the CM depth is vite/cubas/schopf/berhalter/priso. the copa america situation is relevant here as well, vite could be called by ecuador and cubas is a lock for paraguay; that would give priso a pretty clear path to minutes. 

I think this is a good pick up for the Caps and the player.  Not much capital given up for a younger guy who, prior to injury, impressed with his skillset.  And if it doesn't pan out here, so be it and move on.

Regarding Ahmed, I continue to believe that this season you'll see him either at wingback or pushed in the vicinity of Gauld behind White.

I hope Priso, to quote @The Beaver 2.0, turns the corner on his career here. 

Edited by BearcatSA

59 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah pretty different roles.  Ahmed is built for attack and seems to always have that mindset whereas Priso is (or at least used to be) a CDM.    

For sure. 

At the same time, we both know Priso has some attacking instincts to his game, or at least did back in his TFC days. Haven't watched him in a while.

Rooting for Ralph!

Sounds like a t-shirt slogan

Really believe he was a shining light prior to his injury. Raw and a little rash but generally solid in defensive mid but really positive coming forward and starting/joining attacks with the ball.  

He needs a coaching staff that believes in him, paired with a run of games. Not convinced he will get the latter but here's hoping.

I’ll second that he hasn’t been able to get a fair shot since his injury. I wouldn’t write him off as he was looking like our cm guy and he was forgotten. I don’t think that he has hit his ceiling and I think he’s got a high ceilings.

Probably best that he gets away from Armas… 

1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

wow expensive trade 

the only guaranteed parts of the trade is a 3rd round pick (most teams pass on these picks) and a lower 1st round pick, that's basically peanuts. superdraft still has value but it's mostly concentrated in the top 6 or 7 picks

Wow, I love this move. The kid is still young and the Caps, from my understanding, are a team that wants to develop (and eventually sell) quality players. Ralph comes into a squad that has Berhalter and Cubas ahead of him, but not Tiebert. Vite, too, I suppose. Would not be the worst thing for Priso to develop his craft as Cubas's understudy. 

See, the Caps DO love Canada!!  

I feel that Schuster has got this club headed in the right direction for the first time in its history.  Dude is legit. That probably doesn't get said enough. Sure, it is still early days in his tenure, but I feel like we are in good hands.

21 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Wow, I love this move. The kid is still young and the Caps, from my understanding, are a team that wants to develop (and eventually sell) quality players. Ralph comes into a squad that has Berhalter and Cubas ahead of him, but not Tiebert. Vite, too, I suppose. Would not be the worst thing for Priso to develop his craft as Cubas's understudy. 

See, the Caps DO love Canada!!  

I feel that Schuster has got this club headed in the right direction for the first time in its history.  Dude is legit. That probably doesn't get said enough. Sure, it is still early days in his tenure, but I feel like we are in good hands.

I always get the feeling that if the money is right, Vite is moving in a summer transfer.  I have no source, just spitballin'.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I always get the feeling that if the money is right, Vite is moving in a summer transfer.  I have no source, just spitballin'.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Caps would like to see more consistency from him, but he's been a bit slow in development and one had to wonder if MLS is the best league for a cat like him. He has moments of incredible quality, but they are too few, and far between. Would love to see Priso get back to his pre-injury form, and then take off from there.

6 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Schopf as well.  But the Whitecaps tend to play a lot of CMs over the course of the season, so I'd still anticipate Priso getting playing time.

6 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

They've been better both on and off the field under Schuster, though I'm still not sure if it was Schuster or departed director of recruitment Nikos Overheul who really built the current squad.

On 3/11/2024 at 5:07 PM, Dominic94 said:

I’ll second that he hasn’t been able to get a fair shot since his injury.

Last season, he had 26 appearances, including 11 starts and over a 1000 minutes of action.  I guess we'll have to see what he brings (or doesn't bring) to the table this season in his new surroundings.

Edited by BearcatSA

I know this is just empty cheerleading, but damn it would be cool if he could get back in the conversation as a top prospect.  I really did rate him alongside our best youth players that first year when he was a kid who cracked the TFC squad and was getting minutes and playing well among seasoned vets.  Seems like his injury really knocked him back a bit but having him emerge as a solid, international-level CDM would be a big addition to our pool.   Even if just for depth, having another talented young player competing for a spot as a potential destroyer would give us a great tactical option. 

For anyone who watched him last year, don’t know if he is still predominantly playing that CDM role? 

I had a dream that Priso scored the winning goal over the US in a future Gold Cup final. At least I think that is what happened - my wife kept interrupting me and preventing me from watching the game.   Then I spilled a bunch of stuff on the coffee table and started to clean it up.  

Truth be told, it was a bit random.   

• 1 month later...