Ralph Priso

Shway

32 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Theres a serious logjam in the midfield at TFC. 

One of Bradley, Delgado and Osorio has got to go imo to make room for Ralph and Okello next season. I expect Fraser will be moving on. 

Nelson and Marshall-Rutty need minutes, I think Altidore also has to go.

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Until there is a new philosophy at TFC we’ll be lucky if even one of Priso, Nelson, Okello or MR become regulars. 

There is, Ali Curtis has been brought in in part to oversee a transition to an era of lower spending. Payroll will keep dropping and he’s mentioned following the Red Bulls model and using the academy more.

8To be fair to vanney he has said touche and just brought in cheaper Americans. 

TFC probably have their most potentiallu talented group of youth players ever right now. There has to be more pressure on them getting minutes. Certainly in the back end or the season there have been cameos a plenty. Next season will be a big test with Peruzza, Romeo and Dunn all back to join the likes of Nelson, Rutty, Schaffelburg, Priso, Fraser, Okello and the others they have signed. 

They are close to being able to field a Canadian 11 which is impressive. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Curtis is coming up on 2 years with TFC.  If he is changing things its at a glacial pace.  

Over the past 2 years they’ve slowly integrated more youth players, they’ve signed more than in previous years, their bench has been mostly composed of them. 

everyone in MLS would have taken Bradley on a TAM deal.

theyve slowly cut spending, youd better believe Altidore is next.

Curtis was brought so they could transition to the Red Bull model, they’re closer than you think. You have to have the youth first, they have it now. Giovinco is gone, Altidore is likely next followed by Bradley. I’d imagine Zavaleta and Ciman be out the door with Endoh, it’s just taking time.

vanney is on record as rating priso’s academy group and priso himself highly. They don’t think they have just priso, Nelson and Rutty, they think they have more.

and given that Marshall Ruty is highly touted you’d better believe there’s going to be pressure to really play him next year.

TFC is trying to win but also play the kids, at a point the scale will tip. The current core is almost at its end.

Current core?? You mean Poz and Piatti??  And whichever DP striker they bring in to replace Altidore?  They arent going to rebuild, they will just reload.  Its nice that the kids have been making the bench, but the main guys coming off the bench are Deleon, Endoh and Mullins. 

I mostly agree with you but I guess I am a glass half empty attitude when it comes to Vanneys roster choices. But if Vanney has the same fuzzy feelings about Priso as he does about Delgado, thats promising.

A lot of good points. The reality is TFC are in a really good position with the mix they have, and next season I suspect will bring a lot of changes due to it.

- Gallardo will definitely be gone.

- Cimans contract is up and will get the Cheyrou deal or be gone.

- Morrows contract is up, and will likely get his contract reworked on a lower scale or leave as a free agent.

- Nephews contract is up, and will either get his contract reworked or he’ll be gone as a free agent.

- Bonos big backup contract is up, and will likely test free agency as he looks to be a number 1 somewhere.

- Endoh is a great utility player for under 100k. He’ll more than likely stay.

- DeLeons at 30yo, is a great impact player who’s contract is up, and I’m sure will test free agency if TFC don’t offer him a contract extension.

- Mullins contract is up, and will likely test free agency as TFC won’t resign him at $265k.

That’s near 1.5M in base salary that will be freed up to more than likely strengthen the team in key areas - CM won’t be that.

- Priso has shown promise to make Delgado expendable to the likes of Austin or Charlotte.

- Okello will battle Priso for midfield minutes.

- Dunn, Romeo, and Boskovic will battle for a look to get rotational minutes, with Dunn winning out the three. but TFC will ultimately look to bring in another proven CB and LB.

- I’ll be surprised if Campbell or Mohammed get real looks with the first team. But one of them could be surprise back up options.

- Akinola and Jozy will be the primary options in the 9 position in Vanneys current system. Achara, and Peruzza will come into the team as 3-4. Although Jozys guaranteed to get injured, and we don’t know if Achara will recover well. So there’s a potential log jam up top.

- Nelson, and Rutty will have increased minutes, but will be Rotational and Sporadic players as TFC will most definitely look to bring in a proven winger. 

All that to say TFC does have a great core of pieces, and have up and coming young players to play bit part roles to rotate the squad when needed. Vanneys current crop of players is suited better for a 442 diamond. However Curtis will strengthen the holes they have shown to have this year to fit Vanneys preferred 433. So getting a true winger as the number one priority, finding a LB (if Gallacher doesn’t stay past his loan), and a CB to challenge Gomez.

TFC are in a really good place because of their core and they can thank the young guys like Ralph who can seamlessly come into the team.

Edited by Shway

5 hours ago, Shway said:

A lot of good points. The reality is TFC are in a really good position with the mix they have, and next season I suspect will bring a lot of changes due to it.

- Gallardo will definitely be gone.

- Cimans contract is up and will get the Cheyrou deal or be gone.

- Morrows contract is up, and will likely get his contract reworked on a lower scale or leave as a free agent.

- Nephews contract is up, and will either get his contract reworked or he’ll be gone as a free agent.

- Bonos big backup contract is up, and will likely test free agency as he looks to be a number 1 somewhere.

- Endoh is a great utility player for under 100k. He’ll more than likely stay.

- DeLeons at 30yo, is a great impact player who’s contract is up, and I’m sure will test free agency if TFC don’t offer him a contract extension.

- Mullins contract is up, and will likely test free agency as TFC won’t resign him at $265k.

That’s near 1.5M in base salary that will be freed up to more than likely strengthen the team in key areas - CM won’t be that.

- Priso has shown promise to make Delgado expendable to the likes of Austin or Charlotte.

- Okello will battle Priso for midfield minutes.

- Dunn, Romeo, and Boskovic will battle for a look to get rotational minutes, with Dunn winning out the three. but TFC will ultimately look to bring in another proven CB and LB.

- I’ll be surprised if Campbell or Mohammed get real looks with the first team. But one of them could be surprise back up options.

- Akinola and Jozy will be the primary options in the 9 position in Vanneys current system. Achara, and Peruzza will come into the team as 3-4. Although Jozys guaranteed to get injured, and we don’t know if Achara will recover well. So there’s a potential log jam up top.

- Nelson, and Rutty will have increased minutes, but will be Rotational and Sporadic players as TFC will most definitely look to bring in a proven winger. 

All that to say TFC does have a great core of pieces, and have up and coming young players to play bit part roles to rotate the squad when needed. Vanneys current crop of players is suited better for a 442 diamond. However Curtis will strengthen the holes they have shown to have this year to fit Vanneys preferred 433. So getting a true winger as the number one priority, finding a LB (if Gallacher doesn’t stay past his loan), and a CB to challenge Gomez.

TFC are in a really good place because of their core and they can thank the young guys like Ralph who can seamlessly come into the team.

i agree with most of your points,i think they will try to move on from jozy,and i would hope gonzo is gonzo but i doubt it,i would love to see one of the young kids play beside mavinga,one of the kids i think they will sign is luke singh,he has been training with the club all season.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Current core?? You mean Poz and Piatti??  And whichever DP striker they bring in to replace Altidore?  They arent going to rebuild, they will just reload.  Its nice that the kids have been making the bench, but the main guys coming off the bench are Deleon, Endoh and Mullins. 

I mostly agree with you but I guess I am a glass half empty attitude when it comes to Vanneys roster choices. But if Vanney has the same fuzzy feelings about Priso as he does about Delgado, thats promising.

Fair but...

Rutty is very highly rated, a good season and he could go for a nice fee, if he breaks into the first team which he should do, and has a good season that’s a nice pay day. 

maybe they bring in a 3rd DP, but Akinola is clearly capable up top, so maybe that dp is at the back ?

priso himself might be something, at a point they probably have a lot of cheap young depth, and can load up on some good vets. 

they do have to play the kids though.

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

What the heck happened to Schaffelburg?

I know... when he made his first run, he often looked to be the most lively player on the pitch - the only one who got the ball into the attacking zone, using his speed... needed to work on his decision making in the offensive zone and his crossing.  Since that first promising run he’s maybe seen the field once or twice while useless non-Canadian vets continue to rotate without effect - The recent absences of Piatti, Laryea and Osorio showed how useless the rest of the lot is.

Like many others with promise before, he seems to have regressed - it’s as if TFC makes young players worse at first team / TFC II level.  Are the coaches actually improving young players at TFC II and when they train with the first team?  I have doubts.  (I’m not sure how constant the coaching hierarchy has been behind Vanney)

The combo of development plan and coaching just fails young players time and again.  This is why I worry about Priso and the other promising young Canadian talent and hope they take offers from elsewhere if they come.

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

I know... when he made his first run, he often looked to be the most lively player on the pitch - the only one who got the ball into the attacking zone, using his speed... needed to work on his decision making in the offensive zone and his crossing.  Since that first promising run he’s maybe seen the field once or twice while useless non-Canadian vets continue to rotate without effect - The recent absences of Piatti, Laryea and Osorio showed how useless the rest of the lot is.

Like many others with promise before, he seems to have regressed - it’s as if TFC makes young players worse at first team / TFC II level.  Are the coaches actually improving young players at TFC II and when they train with the first team?  I have doubts.  (I’m not sure how constant the coaching hierarchy has been behind Vanney)

The combo of development plan and coaching just fails young players time and again.  This is why I worry about Priso and the other promising young Canadian talent and hope they take offers from elsewhere if they come.

They haven’t really played their youth... 

okello, Fraser... there’s a reason David said no to them. Honestly if they don’t play Nelson and Marshall-Rutty.... York, Hamilton, Ottawa and Europe will tear their academy apart. Altobelli won’t be the last good prospect to leave, they actually have a ton of youth now so if they don’t walk the walk these kids will find someone who will.

I think they’re now at the point where they have to, like it’s either turn the leaf or TFC really hates Canadians.

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Honestly if they don’t play Nelson and Marshall-Rutty.... York, Hamilton, Ottawa and Europe will tear their academy apart.

This is an unrealistic take given the vast difference in pay and visibility between MLS and the CPL. I love the CPL for what it offers, but it's far away from taking the top-notch prospects away from the MLS sides.

Secondary prospects should definitely give pause when considering a TFC contract if the club's current model persists, but I can't see a Marshall-Rutty level talent signing for York or Forge at 16 just yet.

Not to mention that Akinola himself is a home grown, by the way.

More generally speaking, TFC will always be a big-spending club and won't ever go to a full Red Bulls model while MLSE is owned by the telecoms (IMO), but there will be more of a push to produce first-team players from the academy than there was in the past. 

10 minutes ago, RS said:

This is an unrealistic take given the vast difference in pay and visibility between MLS and the CPL. I love the CPL for what it offers, but it's far away from taking the top-notch prospects away from the MLS sides.

Secondary prospects should definitely give pause when considering a TFC contract if the club's current model persists, but I can't see a Marshall-Rutty level talent signing for York or Forge at 16 just yet.

More generally speaking, TFC will always be a big-spending club and won't ever go to a full Red Bulls model while MLSE is owned by the telecoms (IMO), but there will be more of a push to produce first-team players from the academy than there was in the past. 

I think this depends on the priority the young player has and who is advising him.  For some at least, I am suspect that a reduced payout and the chance for regular 1st team footy would outweigh a quick pay bump if it was clear that very few youth players get the chance to advance to TFC’s first team.  I know CPL still has lots to prove in terms of being a pathway to Europe but a number of promising prospects have completely floundered at TFC.  

Even for the top young prospects, being and a top performer in CPL would likely garner them more attention than getting a few scattered sub minutes in MLS.  

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think this depends on the priority the young player has and who is advising him.  For some at least, I am suspect that a reduced payout and the chance for regular 1st team footy would outweigh a quick pay bump if it was clear that very few youth players get the chance to advance to TFC’s first team.  I know CPL still has lots to prove in terms of being a pathway to Europe but a number of promising prospects have completely floundered at TFC.  

Even for the top young prospects, being and a top performer in CPL would likely garner them more attention than getting a few scattered sub minutes in MLS.  

It also depends on the CPL team. It's odd that the CPL is spoken of as a monolith in these discussions whereas TFC is clearly judged as a standalone club.

Forge (which was named in the post I originally responded to) doesn't take chances on teenagers either, despite the obvious pipeline from Sigma. There are other clubs who do, but will a Marshall-Rutty type want to play for a less fancied CPL club (which would get much less visibility than Forge)? It's up to the player as you say, but the opportunity for minutes/training with one of the best MLS clubs would still likely be too tempting at this point in time.

1 hour ago, RS said:

It is where loans will be so important for those youngsters and their development. This year cpl/mls loans were huge and at least in the short term hugely beneficial all round.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Altobelli left for York 9 and Habibullah might be poached from the Whitecaps academy.

I think it’s not just about the poaching from the MLS teams, but the overall local scouting is what these clubs could benefit from. The reality is, TFC academy can only have so many players in their system. And as we all know, the GTA is a hotbed for talent and there will always be guys like Millar who are overlooked but don’t have the opportunity to go abroad. Even the Whitecaps get TFCs overlooked guys.

For this very same reason I think it’s a missed opportunity for the CPL clubs to not  have or even consider having academies especially York 9 and Forge. Especiallllly with OPDL operating the way it does. 

Edited by Shway