Ralph Priso

Shway

1 hour ago, gator said:

I thought Priso was quite good last night again, Terry Dunfield post game harped on about how much he struggled, really, what is he seeing that I'm not? I have seen enough of Delgado and his "good engine" doing a lot of nothing and as @dyslexic nam mentions he kills play after play when he has the ball around the box, it is frustrating to watch because I think the young Canadians will pay dividends if given enough of a chance!

I think that was KJ, no? Dunfield wasn't on the post game show on onesoccer and during the broadcast after Priso was taken off Dunfield mentioned that Priso was one of the bright spots for TFC on the night.

Now, I'm not sure what KJ was talking about either - other than one mistake where he kicked the ball right out of bounds off a Shaffelburg throw-in, I'm not sure what was so lacking about Priso's game last night.

22 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think that was KJ, no? Dunfield wasn't on the post game show on onesoccer and during the broadcast after Priso was taken off Dunfield mentioned that Priso was one of the bright spots for TFC on the night.

Now, I'm not sure what KJ was talking about either - other than one mistake where he kicked the ball right out of bounds off a Shaffelburg throw-in, I'm not sure what was so lacking about Priso's game last night.

Yes GL, you are correct it was KJ!

6 hours ago, Bdog said:

On that note, Delgado was shocking last night and somehow played all game. 

When Delgado gets the ball, if it's not an immediate layoff, his mind starts racing at 200kph and nothing good happens.  In contrast, the game slows down for Priso and he knows his options as the ball is arriving.  The end result may not always pan out but he's not playing hot potatoes with the ball like Delgado.

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe Armas thinks Priso is a better option than Delgado (long term) and that is reason he is giving Priso the opportunity.  He could dump Delgado, slot Priso in and save himself maybe 200g on the cap??  Money they could spend on areas they dont have the depth.  

Bradley is just a shell right now and maybe he needs serious load management but if dollars don't come into play, Delgado should really be replacing Bradley and Priso would play the role of distributor in front of the back line.

10 hours ago, Shway said:

Because of his engine. Plain and simple.
He's also played out of position, which completely imbalances the squad when you have one guy running a track race, and the other just looking to go inside, and leave room for the fullback which was Auro.

Overall the game was horribly coached. 

Yeah, to be fair he's out position if he's not in the middle. It is more on Armas for playing him there, you need to have some sort of offensive talent if you're out wide. I'd rather Oso go there, especially when Pozuelo is back.

10 hours ago, narduch said:

Its excruciating when he has the ball in the box.

All those low crosses with zero pace on them, hurts to watch.

I'm curious how much of it is tactical and how much of it is Priso's own style of play but he's certainly been the most 'holding' midfielder paired with Bradley so far this year. He mainly screens the back line and has made a couple nice interceptions already by reading the play well. By contrast, Okello and Delgado are much more mobile. As others have mentioned he's positive in possession, there were a couple plays last night where the obvious pass was backwards to a CB but he took that half second to find a teammate further forward.

He looks like he's got a bright future ahead of him. I hope we get to see him play regular minutes with some stronger teammates. Even if that doesn't happen, getting to start against some strong Mexican teams is great for his development.

I was surprised at the post game comment from KJ too. I thought it was a good performance, maybe the best one for TFC on the night. His ability to quickly find an outlet or sense when he has a half second to move into a pocket of space was really impressive. His teammates, Bradley in particular, couldn’t handle it. 

As Peter Galindo pointed out in Twitter, I think the criticism from KJ was about pressing at times and losing track of his man. But he easily could have been instructed to do this by the coach (press up and gamble a bit) and he wasn’t the only one caught on those situations or the worst offender.

Honestly, Cruz Azul is as good as it gets in Comcacaf so I’d be hesitant to point a crucial finger at anyone for that game. But if I was... I wouldn’t have named Priso.

• 2 weeks later...

Another solid game for Priso tonight. Subbed out in the 77th minute.  Lots of good defensive plays to break up attacks and some good passing to get out of pressure.  Still gives me the impression that he always knows where the ball is going before he receives it.

Like the last time, he did misplay a few passes but he did see a lot of the ball and if he can tidy that up a bit more I can see him getting some really good minutes this year, because he is in no way a liability despite being part of the youth movement.  

Unlike some players (DELGADO) after a tackle or interception, especially close to his own 18 he makes the right first pass to keep possession and spring an attack. His composure is impressive and not just for an 18 year old.

Edited by sebdeserio

12 hours ago, jordan said:

If he figures out that passing he’s going to be very good

I think his passing is generally good. He has a decent mix of cutting passes between the lines and spraying the ball wide. In attacking situations, he needs to be a little more incisive but hopefully that comes with time. 

From game-to-game you do see a bit of inconsistency so I can see why the comment was made but I would chalk that up to a bit of inexperience and some other factors.

Overall, I think this kid is doing well and is quietly one of our better prospects in his year. 

He’s playing quite poised for an 18 year old. Having a young player like that who’s already got into 7 games so far for TFC this early in a season hasn’t happened in a while.

He certainly looks like he’s ready as an MLS quality player.

I’d like to see TFC move away from Bradley and Delgado this after this season.  Bradley is clearly in decline and Delgado is ok but clearly will never become more than what he is at this point.

I noticed when he received the ball in the centre of the park and then tried to move it out wide to Laryea his pass was slightly behind Laryea causing the play to slow down a lot. Little lack of concentrations like that he should be able to improve upon.

1 hour ago, ag futbol said:

I think his passing is generally good. He has a decent mix of cutting passes between the lines and spraying the ball wide. In attacking situations, he needs to be a little more incisive but hopefully that comes with time. 

From game-to-game you do see a bit of inconsistency so I can see why the comment was made but I would chalk that up to a bit of inexperience and some other factors.

Overall, I think this kid is doing well and is quietly one of our better prospects in his year. 

I feel like the passing has improved on a game to game basis, from his debut till now. In my opinion TFC look more stable at the back with him, then without him. 

With Eustaquio probably our first choice CDM and Priso looking like he has a pretty high ceiling, I do wonder what this means for Piette over the next few years.  He is absolutely dependable and has been a big contributor for us, but at 26 he isn’t likely to make significant jumps in his skill set.  I think at this point he is a known quantity and is always there to do the job when called upon, but I wonder if he will see his level of CMNT participation get noticeably reduced over the next few years.  

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

With Eustaquio probably our first choice CDM and Priso looking like he has a pretty high ceiling, I do wonder what this means for Piette over the next few years.  He is absolutely dependable and has been a big contributor for us, but at 26 he isn’t likely to make significant jumps in his skill set.  I think at this point he is a known quantity and is always there to do the job when called upon, but I wonder if he will see his level of CMNT participation get noticeably reduced over the next few years.  

I think that’s probably a possibility in the next few years like you said, but I think that’s more of an issue for the 2026 cycle. Piette is a different style of player than either Priso or Eustaquio too, so I think he’ll be a useful member of the CMNT for the foreseeable future, even if he isn’t a regular starter.

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That being said, Piette had a monster game last night.  He ain't done with CANMNT.  I wasn't the biggest fan a little while back, I felt he was a really one-dimensional player, but he has really developped and improved on that.

• 3 weeks later...