USA National Team Watch

Macksam

Mexican fans acting a fool last night. Im all for the passion and everything but wow. Up here we just want to be able to get back in a stadium. They're down there treating the Nations League final in a billion dollar NFL stadium like an Insane Clown Posse concert. 

All in all it was a lot of fun to watch and they actually managed to get me to cheer for the US which I haven't done in a long time

Edited by SpursFlu

I wanted Mexico to win, but by the end was happy the USA won, and this was a team I wanted Honduras to take out. HONDURAS. That tells you how much I wanted the US to lose, but the Mexican fans are just so trashy and classless, so you know what, I am happy for the states and especially for Berhalter for all the crap he's been getting. Good for them!

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wanted Mexico to win, but by the end was happy the USA won, and this was a team I wanted Honduras to take out. HONDURAS. That tells you how much I wanted the US to lose, but the Mexican fans are just so trashy and classless, so you know what, I am happy for the states and especially for Berhalter for all the crap he's been getting. Good for them!

Yes and I really think we can hang with those teams. We know Mexico are good. I enjoyed seeing the US play a nice style with young energy. An exciting US and a legit Canada is good for the region. We need to do our part

I deemed it'd be too annoying to watch two teams I kinda dislike play the final, so I opted to watch only my 6th hockey game of the year.  Totally regret it, this match really seemed to have it all.  After reading the reviews and watching the highlights I'm thrilled the US won.  

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I didn't so much want the USA to win as much as I wanted Mexico to lose after Guardado missed that penalty... really pathetic effort for a player of his experience and caliber.

• 3 weeks later...

I see why USMNT fans are starting to say this isn’t just going to be a golden generation but the new standard, it seems like they’re churning out tons of talented 18-20 year olds from the MLS now rumoured to join big European clubs. 

Thankfully WC qualifying is this year/next and we will likely auto-qualify for 26 because they look like they will be very scary soon. 

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

I see why USMNT fans are starting to say this isn’t just going to be a golden generation but the new standard, it seems like they’re churning out tons of talented 18-20 year olds from the MLS now rumoured to join big European clubs. 

Thankfully WC qualifying is this year/next and we will likely auto-qualify for 26 because they look like they will be very scary soon. 

I think this will be the norm of USA squads moving forward. MLS does not necessarily need to surpass Liga MX in terms of quality for the USMNT to eventually surpass the MexNT. In fact, one of the biggest hurdles to Mexican domestic talent leaving to Europe is the fact that Mexican domestic players good enough to leave for Europe are VERY comfortable living in Mexico, they get paid a lot and get to stay with what for many may be their hometown clubs, on top of being super stars in their country. Ultimately this takes away incentive for them to want to make it in Europe, and ultimately holds the national team back; it means that not all of their most promising talent ends up making a push to play at the highest possible level.. and why should they? For some players football is just a job, and as long as it pays well, then that's all that matters right? MLS on the other hand seems to be very willing, at least right now, with selling off all its top tier young talent.

Edited by LeoH037

6 hours ago, Atlantic said:

They will be, but so will we.

Caden Clark who just turned 18 is definitely one to watch . He just recently got moved within the Red Bull organization to Germany’s Bundesliga’s RB Leipzig side. He will finish off the MLS season with NY Red Bulls before moving to Germany after the MLS season is done . In my opinion this kid has the potential to be as good or better than some of the other young American players playing at the moment in Europe. I think our very own Alphonso Davies opened the eyes of a lot of these European teams that the MLS is a place to keep an eye out for some very good young talent . Which in the future I can see more Canadian players going from the MLS to Europe . The more you watch the MLS the more you see how much the league is improving from year to year . Moreover, with the CPL here it will also provide for a lot of Canadian talent that might have been overlooked to do well in the CPL and then make the move to MLS and eventually to Europe. It’s going to be a very good pathway I think in the future for many Canadian players that just need a bit more time here in North America before heading to Europe . Of course there will be Canadian CPL players that will go directly to Europe in the future too, but the MLS will just be another stepping stone to Europe if they play well there too.

Edited by SoccMan

5 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I think this will be the norm of USA squads moving forward. MLS does not necessarily need to surpass Liga MX in terms of quality for the USMNT to eventually surpass the MexNT. In fact, one of the biggest hurdles to Mexican domestic talent leaving to Europe is the fact that Mexican domestic players good enough to leave for Europe are VERY comfortable living in Mexico, they get paid a lot and get to stay with what for many may be their hometown clubs, on top of being super stars in their country. Ultimately this takes away incentive for them to want to make it in Europe, and ultimately holds the national team back; it means that not all of their most promising talent ends up making a push to play at the highest possible level.. and why should they? For some players football is just a job, and as long as it pays well, then that's all that matters right? MLS on the other hand seems to be very willing, at least right now, with selling off all its top tier young talent.

Bolded is key. When MLS finally scores a major media deal and million dollar salaries become the norm, the league will retain more domestic talent. Only the most top tier guys would make the jump at that point, and that's not a bad thing either. 

I've been watching some US centric youtubers, such as 11 Yanks and Tactical Manager. In fact, they just did a live stream together, reviewing the USMNT's competition for the Octagon. 

I like both of these guys, but it was the typical hubris you expect from American fans. They talk about being qualified before the final window. They talk about 7 points from their first 3 games as just barely being satisfactory, but they have Canada at home and El Salvador and Honduras away. They should be over the moon if they get 7 points from that, not barely satisfied.

If this is where the US fanbase is at, I would say their scars from the 2018 cycle are still showing. I can sense their fear about not starting out hot. If they get less than 7 points in the first window, which is realistic, the pressure on their young talented group is going to mount. That won't help their cause at all.

Despite the Nations league win, I still have them second this cycle, behind Mexico. I also think bringing a reserve team to the Gold Cup may come back to bite them. 

Edited by Obinna