USA National Team Watch

Macksam

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I share your concern, but "at least" 1 friendly is not nearly ambitious enough for a men's program that is riding a wave of newfound popularity off the back of an unprecedented and historic WCQ campaign.

Our profile and reputation is at an all time high right now. If we can't schedule more than 1 friendly, while the Mexicans and Americans schedule 3, that has to be considered a failure.

As always though, there'll be excuses. At least the good thing about making a ton of money and topping our qualifying group is that excuses such as "we don't have the money" and "nobody wants to play us" are no longer applicable.  

But this is the exact reason why we have to have tempered expectations for ("beating Belgium and Croatia") the WC, especially with limited preparation.

It's still early, but again I won't be surprised if we are limited to our maximum friendlies. 
Outside of the excuses you have listed, Covid is still one that seems to still be used for the CSA.

3 hours ago, RS said:

Mexico actually has four friendlies prior to the June Nations League games. All in the United States.

They have so many it's hard to keep count lol

3 hours ago, RS said:

Did I miss the US having three friendlies in June? Are they pulling a Mexico and scheduling one before the Nations League window?

ESPN reported that USA was set to play Uruguay in June. There were also reports from the Post Cincy (grain of salt?) that USA is also playing Ghana in June. FWIW though I believe you are right, because I don't see the USSF confirming either of those, just the Morocco match. 

4 hours ago, RS said:

Did I miss the US having three friendlies in June?

47 minutes ago, Obinna said:

ESPN reported that USA was set to play Uruguay in June.

https://mediospublicos.uy/se-confirmo-el-segundo-amistoso-de-uruguay-sera-frente-a-estados-unidos/

USMNT vs Uruguay in L.A. on Sunday, June 5th.

Is confimed according to the press in Uruguay.

So friendlies ×2 before Nations League on June 10th.

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

playing Ghana in June.

Not sure where this leaves Ghana in all this.

2 hours ago, johnyb said:

Are Mexican fans ok with this? We get pissed off when our team plays in one city in Canada over another, yet these guys never play at home!

This is a great question....I would imagine fans in Mexico would be pissed that El Tri takes the money playing in the US 

My buddy who is pretty tied into the scene down there and lives there said this:

"What they hate the most is that the  team sells a lot of tickets in the States because of all the ex-pats and Americans who have mexican lineage, so there’s no change to improve the team because ticket sales don’t suffer in the US no matter what...Mexico fans in the States will pay outrageous prices to see Mexico. We hope a lot of them age out and their kids become US fans because they always do stupid s*** at games and make us look bad" 

Just one man's take on it

• 4 weeks later...