USA National Team Watch

Macksam

Bold prediction - They won't finish top 3. They'll finish 4th at best

• They'll lose in Mexico City especially without McKennie (Never won there in WCQ)
  • Their best chance is beating Panama at home - US strugling with low blocks gives Panama a chance
  • They'll lose in Costa Rica (They've never won In Costa Rica in WCQ)
  • As much as I want Canada to have a perfect streak -we'll have 1 bad result on the road

Very bold prediction - New Zealand upsets them in intercontinental playoffs

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

• They'll lose in Mexico City especially without McKennie (Never won there in WCQ)
  • Their best chance is beating Panama at home - US strugling with low blocks gives Panama a chance
  • As much as I want Canada to have a perfect streak -we'll have 1 bad result on the road

Very bold prediction - New Zealand upsets them in intercontinental playoffs

If the US loses their away matches and draws at home there's a very good chance they finish 5th.

I actually now think the US should ignore the Mexico match and put everything in the home match against Panama. Put out your B squad and play for a draw with Mexico. Running your A team ragged at altitude and losing against Mexico would be a disaster and make that Panama match really scary for them 

Edited by Floortom

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Yeah, our bad result will be a 3 to 1 win against Panama. We allow the first goal in two rounds.

35 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I actually now think the US should ignore the Mexico match and put everything in the home match against Panama. Put out your B squad and play for a draw with Mexico. Running your A team ragged at altitude and losing against Mexico would be a disaster and make that Panama match really scary for them 

Tough call though.  3 games left to clinch a spot - can you really afford to coast in any one of them?   Panama will be playing for their lives as will CR.  I am not sure banking on either of those games individually is the right move.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Tough call though.  3 games left to clinch a spot - can you really afford to coast in any one of them?   Panama will be playing for their lives as will CR.  I am not sure banking on either of those games individually is the right move.  

I don't think he's advocating coasting. Just look at it logically: a draw is best realistic hope for the USA away to Mexico. A draw vs Mexico is also useless to the USA. A home win vs. Panama is everything to them. Do that and they're guaranteed at least 4th. If we draw vs. Costa Rica they're guaranteed qualified if they beat Panama at home. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

The issue is with no Mckennie (imo far and away their most important player), Dest, and Aaronson, you could argue they're already not fielding an A team in the first place.

39 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’d be shocked if the USA doesn’t win at home versus Panama.

I would too, but think about it: if the US loses or draws at Azteca, and Panama gets their win vs. Honduras, that sets up a scenario where Panama beating the States puts them into the third spot, with a game left. 

They already beat them once.

And in fact, at 1-2 points behind, even a draw could be useful for Panama. If the States loses to Mexico, and then they draw with Panama at home, on the last day basically both Panama and the US will need a win.

I am so glad we are not in this scenario, but I would like us to solve our qualification next match, I won't really even care if we don't come first.

I get that Panama away to the US would be a huge challenge for them but anything can happen. I don’t put a lot of weight on what happened 4 years ago.  Look to our last and current campaigns for reference.  

If Panama go into the US game having beaten Honduras and knowing they are still totally in the hunt for a spot in Qatar, I am not sure I would bet against them getting a result against the US.  They may also bank on getting points at home against us in the last matchday if we are already qualified (which we always seem to factor in when it applies to others so I am not sure why the same motivational issues couldn’t affect us as well).  Thus the US game would be the key for both teams.

If the US lose to Mexico (very plausible) they will still be at 21 pts.  A Panama home win against Honduras would put them at 20.  With the US finishing at CR and Panama at home to an already-qualified Canada, even a draw between US and Panama could ultimately see Panama end up on top of them when the dust settles.  Panama will fight like hell in the US because (again, assuming they do the job against Honduras) that game will be the one that would put their qualification campaign back in their own hands.  

And as much as I hate to admit it, I think we may stumble against CR on Thursday.  Just a feeing I have.  If that happens, CR will be sitting at 19 points and back in the mix.  If they then beat an eliminated ES team, they go into that final home game against the US on 22 pts and knowing that they could still manage to qualify with a win (or even a draw if the US were to lose the first two).   

Bottom line is that everyone in the top 5 still has it all to play for and everyone will be fighting like hell.  I am not writing anyone off yet.  

For Panama - It's all about "execution". We've provided the blueprint on how to beat the US (low block, give them the ball, punish them on the counter + foul Pulisic at every turn)

Panama has the level to carry out the same play. What they can't do is trying to outplay the US like they try to do to us at BMO - that's one of the reason why we thrashed them.

The US biggest weakness is themselves (we have SOOO many players in top 5 leagues BS) - that hubris of theirs where they expect to play Panama out of the pitch will make them predictable. Up to Panama to plan accordingly.

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And as much as I hate to admit it, I think we may stumble against CR on Thursday.  Just a feeing I have.  If that happens, CR will be sitting at 19 points and back in the mix.  If they then beat an eliminated ES team, they go into that final home game against the US on 22 pts and knowing that they could still manage to qualify with a win (or even a draw if the US were to lose the first two).   

I think we're overdue for a subpar away performance, just that Costa Rica being much better than Jamaica while Panama will be fighting for their lives might translate into 1 or 2 losses.

For sure we have the Jamaica game circled in the calendar to clinch the WCQ. I'm thinking we'll be saving our top A team for Toronto. Once we clinch - will we really want to run the risk of injuring David or Eustaquio (trying to foul them all the time) over a meaningless Panama game while both needs to be healthy for their next contracts?

Don't be shocked if we rotate heavily for Panama

When I made the "US 4th place prediction", deep down - 5th is very possible from my point of view.

Edited by Ansem

Based on previous windows, JH does not go with a "B" team..see USA and Mexico away. Vs Mexico away in particular  he not only started his strongest team but deployed a high press..something that no other opponent has done with the altitude at Azteca. Most of us thought he would focus on the Jamaica game.  We already have had 2 subpar away performances vs Honduras and ES and perhaps a 3rd v Jamaica but clutch scoring got us 2 wins. There is something special about our team. The mentality of this team is real.. it started with the Suriname game and has not stopped ever since. I really get the feeling they want more than just to qualify for Qatar...they want to put an exclamation mark on it!

55 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Based on previous windows, JH does not go with a "B" team..see USA and Mexico away. Vs Mexico away in particular  he not only started his strongest team but deployed a high press..something that no other opponent has done with the altitude at Azteca. Most of us thought he would focus on the Jamaica game.  We already have had 2 subpar away performances vs Honduras and ES and perhaps a 3rd v Jamaica but clutch scoring got us 2 wins. There is something special about our team. The mentality of this team is real.. it started with the Suriname game and has not stopped ever since. I really get the feeling they want more than just to qualify for Qatar...they want to put an exclamation mark on it!

Kristian Jack just put out his interview with Steven Vitoria and that's exactly what he said. The team is not looking to simply qualify. They want to qualify and make a statement after that. The implication is that they want to go deep in WC competition and that starts by making a statement in this last round. Try to go undefeated.

57 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Agreed.  We have 3 games left in this qualifying cycle.  We aren’t suddenly going to start leaving points on the table by playing a weakened team - at least until we are clinched.  The Mexico hame was the most obvious example of where we would potentially do that and it didn’t happen.  

I could see some rotation away to Panama if we are mathematically locked in by then but even then we may just want one more bit of experience in a hostile environment - especially with some of our guys not really playing much lately.  

Never said we'd be dropping points on purpose but it happened that Herdman took under considerations what clubs had to say in the past although he'd never admit it.

I'm just pointing out that should we clinch WC at the Jamaica game, not sure Porto or Lille (especially them) would be thrilled to have Herdman risk David in Panama when they are chasing Europa League.

Besides - we should be able to win even without David, we have Larin / As for Eustaquio, Fraser could start in Panama

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Never said we'd be dropping points on purpose but it happened that Herdman took under considerations what clubs had to say in the past although he'd never admit it.

I'm just pointing out that should we clinch WC at the Jamaica game, not sure Porto or Lille (especially them) would be thrilled to have Herdman risk David in Panama when they are chasing Europa League.

Besides - we should be able to win even without David, we have Larin / As for Eustaquio, Fraser could start in Panama

To flip this around - would we expect Lille or Porto to hold out our players prior to a FIFA window to rest them or to reduce the risk of injury?

On 3/17/2022 at 4:20 AM, Sal333 said:

Your post is about the only one that isn't tinged with this typical Canadian malaise. And to be honest it hadn't occurred to me but it's a great observation and  about the only healthy reason for wanting the Yanks eliminated.

I have to admit it - I love the US - love visiting, have numerous friends from there, love the overall culture, scenery, history, most things about it.

But I would take a nonsensical amount of delight in them being eliminated.  I know I'm a bad person and likely have some sort of sociopathic disorder, but I can't help myself.  I just can't.  Man, would that be great.  🤩 

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

I have to admit it - I love the US - love visiting, have numerous friends from there, love the overall culture, scenery, history, most things about it.

But I would take a nonsensical amount of delight in them being eliminated.  I know I'm a bad person and likely have some sort of sociopathic disorder, but I can't help myself.  I just can't.  Man, would that be great.  🤩 

You know the opposite of hate isn't love.  It's indifference. I really couldn't care less whether they are eliminated or not. But I want us in Pot 3 so I'll root for them to drop to 4th. Or 5th. It's the same difference for me.

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

I'm the same, I've gotten to know a bunch of awesome Americans on Xbox Live over the years who I consider friends (still counts right?) and I'd love to travel there more which the pandemic kinda screwed up. I've got nothing against the average American.

However, I hate a lot of their sporting culture and how arrogant a lot of them can be. I love hating on the USMNT almost as much as I love cheering for Canada, probably more than most people on here. Since we're basically in, I'm almost more excited to see if they choke in this final window than I am excited for our games. Although I'll be at the Jamaica game and would love if we officially clinch it Sunday with a big win.

I have a bad feeling Mexico will continue to suck and play like shit against the US like they've been doing for the past year though, if Mexico does pull it off it will definitely get very interesting. Assuming Panama and Costa Rica are still in it, they'll be fighting for their lives against the US and we might get our wish.

43 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You know the opposite of hate isn't love.  It's indifference. I really couldn't care less whether they are eliminated or not. But I want us in Pot 3 so I'll root for them to drop to 4th. Or 5th. It's the same difference for me.

Interesting.  So maybe you're the true "hater" and I'm just the pathologically jealous paramour?  I could buy that.  (It will make it that much sweeter if they don't qualify.  😍)

lack of experience and hubris is going to do the USA in. They won't win in Mexico, a draw at best, and will go with massive pressure into that Panama game. Those players are not used to real adversity, and quite frankly, nothing they've done so far makes me believe they are ready for it, and the issue extends to the coaching staff. I can see them buckling in under the pressure. I am not actively rooting against the USA, CONCACAF benefits by having them in the World Cup, but I'm not rooting for them either, and quite frankly it will be massively hilarious if they get knocked out or are left to play for the 4th place spot, given all the arrogant crap their supporters spewed before this all started. I have more patience for Mexican supporters because at least they have a rich history in the sport and truly live it.

Edited by LeoH037

As the son of a Canadian nationalist (not sure if anyone much remembers or knows about that phenomenon), allow me to mention something of the history of Canadian politics. Either for the USA - to speak of relatively recent days, Mulroney who wanted to be President, or Ford whose hero is Trump, or against them, the first Trudeau, who wanted nothing to do with the USA.

Recently, I find Canada mimics the US more than ever, maybe without realizing that we are becoming much like the US. There is at least, politically, a history of opposition to US domination. And what we can’t much do in life, I’m for doing in sport. I don’t quite get indifference when it comes a football match against them! It has nothing to do with malaise or inferiority. On the contrary. 

(And not that I don’t want a great match. And yes, I’ve lived in the US and respect certain aspects of the culture).