USA National Team Watch

Macksam

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I hope the USA wins this whole thing and I want them to become a massive soccer power/country....all the more sweeter when we eventually topple them. 

That's an interesting way to look at it. I think they'll get there regardless, it's only a matter of time. And we'll topple them eventually, it's only a matter of time. :)

On the way up the concacaf mountain I don't mind them having a few slips here and there, in fact I welcome it. Since it's already established now they are soon to be a power in world soccer, failures in concacaf are actually a good look for the region. It shows that we are getting stronger (and we are). 

The only time I could possibly cheer for Honduras:  if a result for them would put us through to Qatar....and they would probably throw the game away just to spite us. In this game vs the USA, I dont want Honduras to go into the Ocho with more confidence than they already have as we will have to fight them for a top 4 spot. ...yes we are going to the ocho

Edited by Kadenge

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's an interesting way to look at it. I think they'll get there regardless, it's only a matter of time. And we'll topple them eventually, it's only a matter of time. :)

On the way up the concacaf mountain I don't mind them having a few slips here and there, in fact I welcome it. Since it's already established now they are soon to be a power in world soccer, failures in concacaf are actually a good look for the region. It shows that we are getting stronger (and we are). 

That's actually not a bad way to look at things either. 

A lot of agreement from me on Obinna's posts here. I used to cheer for the USA, back when all we had was the crumbs from MLS and MLS was still essentially fighting for survival/relevancy. At this point the league isn't going away, it's thriving, and we also have the CPL which if that can also thrive would mean we should be able to stand on our own two feet anyways, regardless of how MLS does.

So I'm more for CONCACAF now. It would be great to get teams not named Mexico or USA would win these CONCACAF competitions, or at least knock out one of these guys before the final. CONCACAF seems to be getting stronger recently, and I'd like that to continue. One day I'd like to be able to just say "the Gold Cup" to a general sports fan and not have to say "the Gold Cup which is the North American version of the Euro Cup".

And yes, as Obinna says, American tears are the most delicious. It helps a lot that they speak the same language as me and there are shared spaces for Canadian and American soccer supporters. I lost some respect for Matt Doyle when we beat the USA, but I also tremendously enjoyed his frustration, and the ESPN FC guys as well.

I still hate Honduras though. I kinda want USA to lose more, but ultimately I won't be upset with either result. I'm saying I can't lose rather than I can't win for this one.

Honduras looks like the better side so far. Sargent just cleared one off of the USA's goal line.

I'm just realizing that even with the side we got, squaring off against Costa Rica, Panama and Honduras is still going to be a bitch during qualifiers.

Edited by Macksam

4 hours ago, Floortom said:

Definitely not rooting for Honduras yuck. Totally unlikeable squad and style. A growing US soccer environment also helps us in a roundabout way. Not saying this one match would make any difference but in general the US becoming a soccer powerhouse would be better for us than Honduras 

I NOT rooting for any team in particular, but lets just say Honduras winning would not bother me as much as the USA winning, can't stand either of them, but right now USMNT supporters need a bit of humble pie, and watching all their stars fail to a side they deem "lesser" would be hilarious. Besides, US soccer will be fine regardless how the USMNT team does.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is why I typically cheer for the USA whenever they are playing outside the region. Their success is our success in terms of the perception that North Americans can play. 

However, I believe they have now crossed that threshold and the world now accepts Americans can play. There are USMNT players at Europe's biggest clubs and MLS has grown leaps and bounds.

So thank you my American friends for breaking the glass ceiling for North Americans, but now it is time for a little embarrassment in your own backyard 😈 

I'll only cheer for the USA in international competitions (except when they go against a few select sides), but in CONCACAF, its always good for the region to see someone else but the USA and Mexico not win everything.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else freaked out that if Honduras play like this against us they'll carve up our defensive line with ease?

No, that's the one saving grace here.

The half just ended and I think both sides put on an even display. Hondurans have some good individual skill where they can make something out of nothing and go on the break but their decision in the final third is lacking. Three times I counted during their counters where the guy in possession missed the best through ball to play. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should count on their bad decision making when playing against them but I'm sure things will be a lot more tight and in control during a WCQ compared to this NL fixture, where both teams seem open and willing to go at it. 

Edited by Macksam

13 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s crazy how many guys on the Honduran squad couldn’t cut it in MLS yet they’re looking like the USA’s equal. On paper they’re really not impressive at all... Pulisic likely makes more weekly than their XI combined but they just get it and bring it. 

Honduras are our first opponent in the Octagonal if we make it.

They are no pushovers even if their roster doesn't look like much on paper.

USA just took the lead in the 89th minute and I remembered that I forgot another reason why I dislike USA in soccer. They never have to play away from home. That's a slight exaggeration, but I think they have only ever played 1 Gold Cup game outside of the USA (and they lost), and now they get the semi finals and likely finals of the Nations League at home as well. I really wanted us to eliminate USA in the group stage for all the obvious reasons, but also because I was curious if USA would be chosen to host if they weren't even in the semi final round (at the time not knowing that COVID would happen and make it be the only place reasonably possible).

How about the next Nations League knockout rounds happen in Mexico or Canada, or even Costa Rica, Honduras, or Panama?

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

USA just took the lead in the 89th minute and I remembered that I forgot another reason why I dislike USA in soccer. They never have to play away from home. That's a slight exaggeration, but I think they have only ever played 1 Gold Cup game outside of the USA (and they lost), and now they get the semi finals and likely finals of the Nations League at home as well. I really wanted us to eliminate USA in the group stage for all the obvious reasons, but also because I was curious if USA would be chosen to host if they weren't even in the semi final round (at the time not knowing that COVID would happen and make it be the only place reasonably possible).

How about the next Nations League knockout rounds happen in Mexico or Canada, or even Costa Rica, Honduras, or Panama?

That 4-1 loss to them was brutal and I'm still annoyed no one took Herdman to task in the media for essentially brushing it off and acting like the team did well even though it was one of the worst performances we've ever seen from them.

He strikes me as a man with no self-reflection capabilities.

Just now, Shway said:

@Kent it’s all about the Benjamin’s baby for Concacaf. 

I know why they do it, but I think it is stunting the growth of all the other nations. And I do mean ALL the other nations (OK, maybe not if you have "Virgin Islands" in your name and similarly sized nations). For example, even if Guatemala never hosts the Gold Cup, if they were playing a Gold Cup that was hosted in Panama they would have a better chance at upsetting USA, Canada (if it counts as an upset), or even Jamaica. If the Gold Cup wasn't always in the USA and instead spread around relatively well, sure less money would have been made in the past but USA wouldn't be 6 time champions. Probably more than 3 teams would have won it by now, making the tournament more prestigious and generating more interest.

I gotta say, the US don't look very scary right now. I can't think of any big omissions they had outside of Adams right now but that's a very beatable squad.

Honduras have pretty good cohesion, add their shithousery to the mix and they won't be pushovers. If we don't choke and make the octa, I like our chances.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

I know why they do it, but I think it is stunting the growth of all the other nations. And I do mean ALL the other nations (OK, maybe not if you have "Virgin Islands" in your name and similarly sized nations). For example, even if Guatemala never hosts the Gold Cup, if they were playing a Gold Cup that was hosted in Panama they would have a better chance at upsetting USA, Canada (if it counts as an upset), or even Jamaica. If the Gold Cup wasn't always in the USA and instead spread around relatively well, sure less money would have been made in the past but USA wouldn't be 6 time champions. Probably more than 3 teams would have won it by now, making the tournament more prestigious and generating more interest.

They are also the only country that gets to pad their FIFA ranking points every 2 years as if they played a continental championship in a neutral site.

But it's played in the US to get the US$ from the Mexican fan base.

I thought the US were by far the better side in regard to retaining possession and creating opportunities but I also felt a lot of the time they were just trying to force the ball to the edge of the box without actually creating any build up, leading to tons of clearances from the Honduras defenders for throw-ins. 

The USA's midfield was unstable and lacked any patience with the ball. They were giving it up quite a bit but luckily for them Honduras was quite poor on capitalizing on the break. Their defence held strong but by no means was it quick. 

For me what separated the teams was the USA's willingness to be a bit more creative and obviously that comes with the level of skill they are now able to field. Reyna looked very good IMO. 

Maybe it's the coaching but I did not think they were anything above "decent", at least not tonight. 

Honduras spent a majority of the game time wasting and were quite poor in attack. I thought their keeper and defence played pretty well though. 

Edited by Atlantic

17 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I gotta say, the US don't look very scary right now. I can't think of any big omissions they had outside of Adams right now but that's a very beatable squad.

Honduras have pretty good cohesion, add their shithousery to the mix and they won't be pushovers. If we don't choke and make the octa, I like our chances.

They certainly don't look menacing. They're also a really young team so I expect it's going to take a few years for them to come into their own.

Edited by Macksam