USA National Team Watch

Macksam

7 hours ago, ECW said:

As the son of a Canadian nationalist (not sure if anyone much remembers or knows about that phenomenon), allow me to mention something of the history of Canadian politics. Either for the USA - to speak of relatively recent days, Mulroney who wanted to be President, or Ford whose hero is Trump, or against them, the first Trudeau, who wanted nothing to do with the USA.

Recently, I find Canada mimics the US more than ever, maybe without realizing that we are becoming much like the US. There is at least, politically, a history of opposition to US domination. And what we can’t much do in life, I’m for doing in sport. I don’t quite get indifference when it comes a football match against them! It has nothing to do with malaise or inferiority. On the contrary. 

(And not that I don’t want a great match. And yes, I’ve lived in the US and respect certain aspects of the culture). 

I miss Chrétien - We need to go back at being Switzerland and embrace neutrality while becoming an arctic superpower. Diversify, diversify, diversify.

King of the north is better than "warden" of the north 😥

Naw man, absolutely nothing compares to Mexican-Americans. No where else in the world does two countries have such connections. If you find another comparison I'll stand corrected, but you will be hard pressed to find it.

Canadian dual nationals raised in Canada is literally every player in our pool. I think their "connection" comes from the disconnection of not being identified by national or provincial programs. 

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

Naw man, absolutely nothing compares to Mexican-Americans. No where else in the world does two countries have such connections. If you find another comparison I'll stand corrected, but you will be hard pressed to find it.

I tend to agree. My closest comparable might be 90s Serbia-Croatia after Yugoslavia was dissolved. ESPN's 30 for 30 made a really impressive film called Once Brothers about basketball players who had formerly played together on the Yugoslavian national team but split to separate national teams after the war.

But I think the fact that war led to that separation, the connection sometimes held a little more disdain.

Edited by Pottsy3

4 minutes ago, theaub said:

This is a wild quote haha

He's not wrong too. Berhalter's and the rest of the federation management's ass are on the line.  

The US failing to qualify again or even getting 4th tbh will result in a massive restructuring of their hierarchy.

Edited by Ally McCoist

Some people think playing 'B' team vs Mexico is prudent and the way to go, but I don't think so. I think you have to go for it all and let the chips fall where they may.

Beating Mexico is realistic for the USA, despite their dreadful record at Azteca. Mexico are beatable, even at home, so you play for the win and if you draw or lose than so be it, but you go for it. 

Taking it one game at a time is the formula Canada used and it's proven successful. The USA burned themselves once (away to Panama) where they heavily rotated and came out with a loss. 

This may be gamesmanship. Berhalter plays his best 11. Tata Martino does the same. That's my guess.

We may see a player or two (like Adams) saved due to card considerations, but it's going to be by and large an 'A' side from the states, I think.

1 hour ago, theaub said:

This is a wild quote haha

The difference between the rhetoric from Berhalter and Herdman is night and day, despite the former being ranked inside the FIFA top 15 and currently holding the Nations League and Gold Cup crowns. I mean, sure they are just 4 points adrift with 3 games remaining, but Panama are trailing them by just as many points, yet Berhalter and the Americans seem to be looking down at them, not up at Canada! 

Meanwhile, Herdman is not concerned with the USA or Mexico whatsoever. He's talking about improving the group and addressing areas of the game (like the game management) where the team can get better. He therefore comes off calm and relaxed, while Berhalter comes off as tense, nervous, as he is facing the "biggest week of his professional life".

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Meanwhile, Herdman is not concerned with the USA or Mexico whatsoever. He's talking about improving the group and addressing areas of the game (like the game management) where the team can get better. He therefore comes off calm and relaxed, while Berhalter comes off as tense, nervous, as he is facing the "biggest week of his professional life".

HAHA, thats exactly the way I would expect the guy who was not expected to qualify and is now undefeated would react. Calm relaxed...ahhhhhh I've earned this is little bit of peace.   And if Berhalter leads the USA down in flames again....AGAIN, that will be a millstone around his neck FOREVER.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shway said:

Canada should go after Chritru when the USA puts their focus on keeping Slonina.

I think we get Chritru regardless, Slonina is one of their young top prospects.

if he accepts though the US soccer association is going to go ballistic, this is going to be bigger than the Gonzalez fiasco, or whatever that guys name was.

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So that's 5 games total for both Mexico and USA (including nations league). Meanwhile we haven't scheduled any friendlies yet? I mean, there's still time, but c'mon CSA. Why they always got to be last to get their ducks in a row?

You are associating news being released to not scheduling friendlies yet.  They aren’t one and the same. 

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

You are associating news being released to not scheduling friendlies yet.  They aren’t one and the same. 

No not the same, but with everyones dance card filling up, it does eliminate possible adversaries and make you wonder who and where they have games lined up that'll help prep for our WC games. ie top flight european clubs on the road.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

So that's 5 games total for both Mexico and USA (including nations league). Meanwhile we haven't scheduled any friendlies yet? I mean, there's still time, but c'mon CSA. Why they always got to be last to get their ducks in a row?

41 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Based on Nick Bontis interview, it sounds like we can be optimistic for at-least 1 friendly. 
The CSA will continue to have excuses to why something can't or doesn't come to fruition. That's the consistent reality. 

Meanwhile our revenue has drastically increased, and allocated budgets have overlapped. @trc2014The fact that there hasn't been leaks from other countries/sources outside of Argentina (we know Canada doesn't leak shit), is the concerning part. 

Edited by Shway

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

Based on Nick Bontis interview, it sounds like we can be optimistic for at-least 1 friendly. 
The CSA will continue to have excuses to why something can't or doesn't come to fruition. That's the consistent reality. 

Meanwhile our revenue has drastically increased, and allocated budgets have overlapped. @trc2014The fact that there hasn't been leaks from other countries/sources outside of Argentina (we know Canada doesn't leak shit), is the concerning part. 

I share your concern, but "at least" 1 friendly is not nearly ambitious enough for a men's program that is riding a wave of newfound popularity off the back of an unprecedented and historic WCQ campaign.

Our profile and reputation is at an all time high right now. If we can't schedule more than 1 friendly, while the Mexicans and Americans schedule 3, that has to be considered a failure.

As always though, there'll be excuses. At least the good thing about making a ton of money and topping our qualifying group is that excuses such as "we don't have the money" and "nobody wants to play us" are no longer applicable.  

Edited by Obinna