USA National Team Watch

Macksam

I don't really care what the Americans do or don't do, it really has nothing to do with us at this point, it's not like we have an impending WCQ match with them, if the crushing of T&T C works for them, great! As far as us rescheduling a makeshift opponent, it's probably more difficult for us, until we start getting some results in official matches our program will remain as unattractive to many nations and scheduling any friendlies will remain a challenge!

I thought this quote from Kevin Molino was interesting. It's clear, even without playing games, that our rivals have a lot of respect for us. We aren't going to have a 'surprise' factor in our favour.

He calls on the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association to make sure “things are set right for the players, for the whole team, not just me, but each and every one on the national team because in the past, we have suffered, the players, for over a decade … Let’s set up a proper structure where we can also be competing against the US and Canada”

9 minutes ago, gator said:

I don't really care what the Americans do or don't do, it really has nothing to do with us at this point, it's not like we have an impending WCQ match with them, if the crushing of T&T C works for them, great! As far as us rescheduling a makeshift opponent, it's probably more difficult for us, until we start getting some results in official matches our program will remain as unattractive to many nations and scheduling any friendlies will remain a challenge!

This is true.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The ESL proposal and FIFA's counter punishment measures could mean players like Pulisic, Steffen, Dest & McKennie will not be eligible to play WC & likely WC qualifying.

Given the chunk of the owners are American, they're being backed by JPM and following an American sports league closed model system, it is their just desserts.

No Bundesliga clubs involved at this point. PSG management is tight with UEFA and with Qatar holding WC, not likely to join at this point.

But I'm assuming these are their first volleys and some compromise will be made.

I would never support any team that plays in this "Super League". I do hope they allow the players to play in the World Cup because it will be an opportunity to expose them as frauds as with the proposed new league they will use their collaboration with media outlets to create the perception that those players are superior without having to prove it

Also I wouldn't want to destroy international football which is probably one of the intentions of this league anyways

Edited by SpursFlu

The Super League would destroy European Football.  It’s really a terrible idea.

If they blow up European Football like this then I would be fine with banning teams from all FIFA  domestic and international football and also ban players from the same.  If they want to go nuclear then it has to be the same both ways.

I actually think it’s going to get nuked by the UK Parliament.  That’s how I see it ending up.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

The Super League would destroy European Football.  It’s really a terrible idea.

If they blow up European Football like this then I would be fine with banning teams from all FIFA  domestic and international football and also ban players from the same.  If they want to go nuclear then it has to be the same both ways.

I actually think it’s going to get nuked by the UK Parliament.  That’s how I see it ending up.

I actually think its an opportunity to destroy those 12 teams and turn their money laundering scheme and culture control in to a giant money pit.

I can tell you all my attention, focus and money towards Spurs will now be diverted to another team. Hopefully a team created by Spurs supporters but I have another English team I can focus on.

In fact ill wait till its official but ill change my handle for sure.. maybe to The Anti Lockdowner Formerly Known As or something like that ;)

Edited by SpursFlu

29 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I suspect if this goes ahead, those in the super league may lose some fans but will gain a lot more over time and the tv revenue will more than make up for it.  I think these guys know what they are doing and losing a few diehards wont bother them too much.  

They won't lose 'a few diehards.' They'll lose almost their entire current match going base of supporters, and a large percentage of their domestic and international supporters, as well. This whole play is idiotic and will, if it comes to fruition, ruin club football in Europe.

16 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

They won't lose 'a few diehards.' They'll lose almost their entire current match going base of supporters, and a large percentage of their domestic and international supporters, as well. This whole play is idiotic and will, if it comes to fruition, ruin club football in Europe.

I'm with you. They clearly value you a streaming service in China or exposure with ESPN and packing stadiums with tourists over what has made football what it is. They don't value the culture of the supporters in the stadium. But I think this will bite them in the ass. 

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm with you. They clearly value you a streaming service in China or exposure with ESPN and packing stadiums with tourists over what has made football what it is. They don't value the culture of the supporters in the stadium. But I think this will bite them in the ass. 

The TV product that has become so valuable is contingent on the presence of loud, passionate supporters in the stands. Those loud, passionate supporters are the ones that they're alienating with this move. It's fucked up all over.

11 hours ago, red card said:

The ESL proposal and FIFA's counter punishment measures could mean players like Pulisic, Steffen, Dest & McKennie will not be eligible to play WC & likely WC qualifying.

Given the chunk of the owners are American, they're being backed by JPM and following an American sports league closed model system, it is their just desserts.

No Bundesliga clubs involved at this point. PSG management is tight with UEFA and with Qatar holding WC, not likely to join at this point.

But I'm assuming these are their first volleys and some compromise will be made.

This is the moment where the Gary Bettman attitude towards the international game might come into play.  UEFA/FIFA "threatening" not to let players play internationally may be concerning to the players, but to the owners it's not a threat at all, it's a christmas gift.  A bit like your neighbour "threatening" not to take your car for a joy ride or shag your wife.

There are serious ramifications down the road for the international game if this super league happens.  It could be the end of FIFA/UEFA's "control" over the game.  They would be neutered like FIBA and the IIHF who have no way of governing or controlling the NBA or NHL.  With no way of enforcing player release, what happens to the international game? 

In short, this is currently a story about the club game.  But if it happens, the bigger story will become the war over the future of the international game.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

2 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is the moment where the Gary Bettman attitude towards the international game might come into play.  UEFA/FIFA "threatening" not to let players play internationally may be concerning to the players, but to the owners it's not a threat at all, it's a christmas gift.  A bit like your neighbour "threatening" not to take your car for a joy ride or shag your wife.

There are serious ramifications down the road for the international game if this super league happens.  It could be the end of FIFA/UEFA's "control" over the game.  They would be neutered like FIBA and the IIHF who have no way of governing or controlling the NBA or NHL.  With no way of enforcing player release, what happens to the international game? 

In short, this is currently a story about the club game.  But if it happens, the bigger story will become the war over the future of the international game.  

Imo you can't compare an event that isn't even the pinnacle of its sport, in a niche sport to the greatest sporting event in the world. 

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Naturally I would be okay with FIFA/UEFA having less control over the game, if what is being offered is an improvement... ESL is just making something that's already pretty shitty even worse. I'm curious as to how the players and coaches feel about this... specially those who are into it to genuinely compete.. being part of an exclusive club as a result of $$$ and not merit certainly takes away from the competitive aspect.. if you are the best of ESL, are you truly the best in the world? Will players in their prime who have their contracts coming up decide to move away from said clubs, for the similar reason that they'd refuse to go play in China in their primes regardless how much bank they could be set to make? I hope this completely blows in the faces of all those clubs, and ultimately leads to their undoing. And even if they all decide to pull out, I hope the respective federations make an example of them for trying to pull off this stunt to begin with (i.e., if they want to join the domestic league, then they must work their way back up the very bottom)

Edited by LeoH037

14 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The TV product that has become so valuable is contingent on the presence of loud, passionate supporters in the stands. Those loud, passionate supporters are the ones that they're alienating with this move. It's fucked up all over.

They can just pipe in singing and put VR supporters in the crowd. They don't care

I do believe there could be things done to make domestic leagues a bit more even. I think the solution could be and now might have to be regional leagues. SPL in to EPL is a natural. League made up of the former Yugoslavia etc etc. I think UEFA and the domestic leagues will he forced to and it would be exciting. I know Netherlands and Belgium was already set to go. I just think its a must to keep a pro rel system in place

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

But I'm going to go out and predict the next move in this chess game

MLS/LigaMX is going to align themselves with the Super League

Cant see it happening. 40+ team league ....I would hope the Canadians teams would’ve left by that time.

Im already disinterested in the competition. I find my self just watching games to see how the Canadians do. 

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

Cant see it happening. 40+ team league ....I would hope the Canadians teams would’ve left by that time.

Im already disinterested in the competition. I find my self just watching games to see how the Canadians do. 

This past weekend games and I watched many of them , were probably some of the best soccer I saw all weekend actually with the added bonus of seeing more Canadians playing at a decent level and doing well. Definitely better than all those Lille games I endured where I was only watching because of David.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I guess we'll never find out. At least not for now. I've been banging the drum for a while thevthe MLS is pushing its luck on how its not following a traditional football model and its leading to a watered down product. The play is good but the structure makes it hard to follow as a supporter. You your point, if Canadians aren't involved i find the MLS really hard to watch 

There's another debate to be had on competitions being created outside of the realm of governing bodies.  The creation of Leagues Cup and Campeones Cup strike at the heart of this.  Fans always ask why these tournaments were created when the clubs should just focus on CCL.  The answer has nothing to do with sporting legitimacy and everything to do with money/control.  The clubs and leagues want to run competitions they own and control.  

With all the talk about this European Super League it has me thinking about a Super League in CONCACAF within the confederation's rules.

A 20 team league. 7 from Mexico, 7 From USA, 3 from Central America, 2 from Canada and 1 from the Caribbean. Any team that plays in this CONCACAF Super League does not play in their national league. Each region/country determines how those spots are awarded, whether they be from a tournament for the Caribbean or if an American team ends up in the bottom 3 then the team who wins MLS would take their spot. 

This would allow the 3 Canadian teams to get out of the American league while still maintaining the possibility of large revenues. It would also increase the importance of CPL.

Maybe unrealistic but would be damn exciting!

6 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

With all the talk about this European Super League it has me thinking about a Super League in CONCACAF within the confederation's rules.

A 20 team league. 7 from Mexico, 7 From USA, 3 from Central America, 2 from Canada and 1 from the Caribbean. Any team that plays in this CONCACAF Super League does not play in their national league. Each region/country determines how those spots are awarded, whether they be from a tournament for the Caribbean or if an American team ends up in the bottom 3 then the team who wins MLS would take their spot. 

This would allow the 3 Canadian teams to get out of the American league while still maintaining the possibility of large revenues. It would also increase the importance of CPL.

Maybe unrealistic but would be damn exciting!

So a champions league-league not a tournament....

I think I have a contrary perspective as it comes to the the ESL. As a distant fan of Arsenal (distant being location), I was actually interested in seeing the tournament play out, because it doesn't really affect me. 

As a Toronto FC fan, and a CPL fan....I don't like the Canadians teams in the MLS (anymore) for the same reason why fans are complaining about the "ESL". Closed system, money merited, stupid competition rules, etc., etc. 

The western world (North/Central America & The Caribbean) aren't logistically prepared for this outside of Mexico & USA. 
This the reason why we had SuperLiga before, and Leagues Cup today. Those two countries have been consistently trying to figure out a way to do a Super League.

It's all about the money baby.

• 1 month later...

Some end of season happenings for US national team players.

Aaron Long torn his achilles tendon and will be out for the year. It also means the end of his European dreams and has historically shortened careers of football players. So Mark McKenzie, Matt Miazga, Tim Ream, Chris Richards, Zimmerman & Bryan Reynolds will be auditioning to be starters.

Sargent's Bremen has been relegated. His 5 goals only this season will mean no 1. Bundesliga club will be clamouring for him. He'll need to show with the US this summer that he can deliver with better players around him. Julian Green will be 1. Bundesliga next season.

Dike's Barnsley will not be in the Premier League next year. Swansea's two young promising centre backs basically neutralized Dike easily in the first leg of the playoffs. So, he was only a second half sub in the second leg with Barnsley being down 2-0 on agg. 

Leipzig has basically told Tyler Adams to take the summer off to get his back healed.

Both Pulisic & McKennie's clubs got last minute help elsewhere to be in Champions League for next season. 

27 man roster for Swiss friendly was released. Pure strikers called in were Sargent, Dike, Hoppe & Siebatcheu. In the provisional roster for Nations League, the pure strikers called in were Zardes, Sargent, Siebatcheu, Gioacchini & Dike. So, I peg <10% chance AA gets to accept/reject a US call up in 2021.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/05/berhalter-calls-27-players-for-usmnt-camp-ahead-of-friendly-against-no-13-ranked-switzerland

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/us-provisional-roster-for-concacaf-nations-league-announced

3 hours ago, red card said:

Some end of season happenings for US national team players.

Aaron Long torn his achilles tendon and will be out for the year. It also means the end of his European dreams and has historically shortened careers of football players. So Mark McKenzie, Matt Miazga, Tim Ream, Chris Richards, Zimmerman & Bryan Reynolds will be auditioning to be starters.

Sargent's Bremen has been relegated. His 5 goals only this season will mean no 1. Bundesliga club will be clamouring for him. He'll need to show with the US this summer that he can deliver with better players around him. Julian Green will be 1. Bundesliga next season.

Dike's Barnsley will not be in the Premier League next year. Swansea's two young promising centre backs basically neutralized Dike easily in the first leg of the playoffs. So, he was only a second half sub in the second leg with Barnsley being down 2-0 on agg. 

Leipzig has basically told Tyler Adams to take the summer off to get his back healed.

Both Pulisic & McKennie's clubs got last minute help elsewhere to be in Champions League for next season. 

27 man roster for Swiss friendly was released. Pure strikers called in were Sargent, Dike, Hoppe & Siebatcheu. In the provisional roster for Nations League, the pure strikers called in were Zardes, Sargent, Siebatcheu, Gioacchini & Dike. So, I peg <10% chance AA gets to accept/reject a US call up in 2021.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/05/berhalter-calls-27-players-for-usmnt-camp-ahead-of-friendly-against-no-13-ranked-switzerland

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/us-provisional-roster-for-concacaf-nations-league-announced

Lol ok !