USA National Team Watch

Macksam

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Roster for Nations League 

I would say that’s pretty much their best squad possible...I guess with the exception of Long (injured) and Chris Richards (not sure why he isn’t there).

edit: Dike!? How is he not in the squad??

Edited by Floortom

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I would say that’s pretty much their best squad possible...I guess with the exception of Long (injured) and Chris Richards (not sure why he isn’t there).

Richards is injured.

7 minutes ago, jordan said:

Never forget 

The funny thing about this, aside from how pre-mature it was, is that neither player has ever played in MLS. I think Weah maybe had a cup of coffee with NYRB acadmey or something, but I don't care to look it up. 

Regardless, I find it funny that "MLS Buzz" stuck their nose in that.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

The funny thing about this, aside from how pre-mature it was, is that neither player has ever played in MLS. I think Weah maybe had a cup of coffee with NYRB acadmey or something, but I don't care to look it up. 

Regardless, I find it funny that "MLS Buzz" stuck their nose in that.

Is that a legit, Official Twitter handle of MLS? I'm thinking no, right? 

On 5/24/2021 at 3:23 PM, Floortom said:

GGG said he picked the strikers who were in better form. Dike hasn't scored since April 10th. Though, Sargent hasn't done much but GGG said he liked his consistent season long form.

But Dike is still travelling with the team. 

Edited by red card

US lost 2-1 to Switzerland in a friendly today in St. Gallen with about 100 friends & family watching. Switzerland picked the US to get ready for Wales. US wanted a Euro-based match to replicate what will happen during WCQ: many of them will play a match the weekend before in Europe and have to fly over for a qualifying match on Thursday/Friday.

US played a very high press. I think this what Armas wants TFC to play but nowhere close to what the US showed in the first half. But the Swiss appeared super calm in playing around it - maybe because it was a friendly or told to play out it from the back for training purposes.

Lleget again scored which ticks off USMNT supporters who think no MLS players should be in starting 11. Swiss missed a penalty but call would likely been overturned if VAR was used. Swiss took over in second half as a few more starters were added. US defensiveness weakness were on display in second half but Horvath came up with some decent saves. Dest was caught up in a few mistakes but he was playing on his less favoured side. 

Some other thoughts from yesterday's match from a Canada/Concacaf perspective.

Other than Mexico, Concacaf countries would have crumbled under the intense heavy press US played with in the first half. It reminded me of the US women's team who come out hyper aggressive and basically win the match in the first 15. But Switzerland has a quite a bit of Bundesliga pros, so they handled the press quite casually.

Overall, the match had a relaxed vibe as the Euros are still 2 weeks away and the Euro-based US players appeared to be thinking about their vacation plans.

The second half Swiss adjustments offer a template on how to beat the US system. The US shape was all over the place in the second half. When Dest moves up, focus on the isolated Brooks who can be played like a pylon as Gladbach's Embolo did a couple of times.

And when you get out of the press in your final third, it is pretty easy to attack the US. Unlike Bayern, the US back line is more separated from the pressing front line, so the Swiss had an easy time running at them through the midfield. Big chances in the match were 6-0 in favour of the Swiss.

The US search for a striker continues. Both Sargent & Seibatcheu were invisible ex for Sargent's pressing. They don't have good enough replacement yet for the 6 spot when Adams can't play. US midfield has become more skilled but also more easy to be bossed around.

2 hours ago, red card said:

the Euro-based US players appeared to be thinking about their vacation plans.

The play against Honduras on Thursday (and likely against Mexico on Sunday), so for their sake I hope they're not thinking about vacation yet.

5 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

After all that intense calculator pounding FIFA ranking bean counting for WCQ placement, not to mention the simple desire to beat the US, just clueing in that we'd have been pretty screwed if we had made the final Nations League rounds with this schedule.

I'm pretty sure the WCQ format was doctored with Nations League in mind.

Anyone else cheering for Honduras tonight? They are pretty much our arch nemesis, and the Americans are pretty much like our brothers. 

However, the way the media and fans hype up that team has gotten out of control (we're a tad guilty of this too, btw), so anytime they fail I find their tears to be particularly delicious. There really isn't anything tastier than a US soccer media meltdown, is there? I  thoroughly enjoy it, I really do.

And if that means rooting for the diving, cheating, time wasting Hondurans, than so be it!

Who doesn't like an underdog story anyways?

28 minutes ago, RS said:

The U.S. media largely ignores the USMNT. Just like our media up here.

I meant the soccer media. MLS...ESPN FC...Soccer by Ives even...all of these guys and more will be collectively losing their minds if USA fails to beat Honduras today. The Americans are just pulling themselves out of the psychological hole of not qualifying, and we could have kicked them back down in it had we not let them off the hook in Orlando. They were basically hanging off the cliff with one hand, but instead of stomping on their fingers we pulled them up out of it. 

Anyways....just for today.......vamos HONDURAS!

(and now I feel a little dirty...eww) 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Anyone else cheering for Honduras tonight? They are pretty much our arch nemesis, and the Americans are pretty much like our brothers. 

However, the way the media and fans hype up that team has gotten out of control (we're a tad guilty of this too, btw), so anytime they fail I find their tears to be particularly delicious. There really isn't anything tastier than a US soccer media meltdown, is there? I  thoroughly enjoy it, I really do.

And if that means rooting for the diving, cheating, time wasting Hondurans, than so be it!

Who doesn't like an underdog story anyways?

I hope the USA wins this whole thing and I want them to become a massive soccer power/country....all the more sweeter when we eventually topple them. 

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Definitely not rooting for Honduras yuck. Totally unlikeable squad and style. A growing US soccer environment also helps us in a roundabout way. Not saying this one match would make any difference but in general the US becoming a soccer powerhouse would be better for us than Honduras 

Finally you and I 100% agree on something. 

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Definitely not rooting for Honduras yuck. Totally unlikeable squad and style. A growing US soccer environment also helps us in a roundabout way. Not saying this one match would make any difference but in general the US becoming a soccer powerhouse would be better for us than Honduras 

This is why I typically cheer for the USA whenever they are playing outside the region. Their success is our success in terms of the perception that North Americans can play. 

However, I believe they have now crossed that threshold and the world now accepts Americans can play. There are USMNT players at Europe's biggest clubs and MLS has grown leaps and bounds.

So thank you my American friends for breaking the glass ceiling for North Americans, but now it is time for a little embarrassment in your own backyard 😈