USA National Team Watch

Macksam

• 3 months later...
18 minutes ago, red card said:

People complain about the CSA not holding youth camps. But here we have the USSF begging for donations from fans to support their youth teams.

Hardly begging they just know people will donate. The CSA should do that as well tbh - instead of crying poor do something about it. 

3 hours ago, red card said:

People complain about the CSA not holding youth camps. But here we have the USSF begging for donations from fans to support their youth teams.

Not crying for cash, they just know their are some big ticket donors out there who will pay a pretty penny for access, a high end experience. 

22 hours ago, Cblake said:

Not crying for cash, they just know their are some big ticket donors out there who will pay a pretty penny for access, a high end experience. 

Based on reddit & twitter replies, the consensus is that covid & legal fees for the equal pay suit has sapped their coffers. The fan base had no positive comments about it. Many thought it is a bad look.

It doesn't mean they're strapped like the CSA but not making World Cup and no windfall from hosting tourneys like Copa 100 means they'll need to scale down their programs if they can't build back up their revenue streams. Could be also looking at funding in new ways since they'll be splitting away from SUM.

The US women are also asking to share the spoils of the men's World Cup. If this becomes a reality, it will be a windfall for the women at the expense of men's youth programs.

Edited by red card

McKennie back in the starting 11 after being sent home during the last window for running afoul of team rules. This US team should be able to take care of Jamaica. Certainly has the skill to do it. 

244774973_10158107499536502_6769639496314537343_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_eui2=AeG7sBXRu_bUkS8KrfzFKM-oP_ozYx7BnGU_-jNjHsGcZfp26oVN94O4r5OKT8BHqb0&_nc_ohc=s4amEdNQF-cAX-7B7jD&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.fna&oh=2f6a698eda6b6e1ab21bb65b4c2f31ff&oe=61860AF4

FBIVtiwXoAw6L90?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Cblake

22 hours ago, Cblake said:

Will have to look at that long article later, too much work to finish. 

Still, I think there is one point that has to be insisted upon: it is a business model. I am not saying these club academies do not do a good job, but they charge a lot, and tend to be there to ensure a salary for the staff. And they most definitely DO prey on the anxiety of kids and parents looking to get a break and a clearer path to pro. 

They are able to do that because of the failure of State and Provincial FAs, who are pandering to the business academies and not putting in place proper competitive youth football.

Now if there were proper league structures, and fully federated youth systems that were tiered, all these branded academies would have to put out. This business of "all the American coaches wanted to do was win". Well hello, that is what competitive federated coaches do in Europe, and in South America: line up teams to win.

And they do it, often, by recruiting any kid who can play. Which Villareal Virginia does not. They recruit any kid who can pay. The difference is enormous. I have said this before: I've coached u-12 here, and every kid who wanted to play, pretty well, could play. In Barcelona there are even grants for poorer kids, every club has access to request them from the municipal sports institute, so all clubs are able to sign  afew kids whose parents may be unemployed or not able to keep paying (and here you pay 50-70 euros a month for 10 months). I remember when I coached a kid who was a great keeper stopped coming, his Domincan parents could not pay. We tried to get them to come to the office and just sign for the grant, but they wouldn't, they were not even willing to request for their kid. Sad, for me just says that relative poverty can be debilitating in many ways, including when you have avenues to relieve it. But point made.

Some clubs in a competitive tiered system prepare kids by  focussing on skills and care for players, and others less so. It comes down to the club and the team and the player in the end regardless, to the motivation. And to luck. But what especially gets me, always, is how we think a capitalist model created to benefit the home clubs and their reps, shorter term, is going to produce players (never mind that the vast majority of pros are from the working and lower middle classes, worldwide). 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

The U.S. will be looking to rebound tonight at home vs. Costa Rica. I fully expect the return of Pepi, Aaronson, Adams and Robinson who for some reason Berhalter sat on Sunday. I understand the desire to rest people, keeping them fresh but sitting that many in form players especially Pepi who had a brace vs. Jamaica left many wonder was the coach out of his mind. 

29 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The U.S. will be looking to rebound tonight at home vs. Costa Rica. I fully expect the return of Pepi, Aaronson, Adams and Robinson who for some reason Berhalter sat on Sunday. I understand the desire to rest people, keeping them fresh but sitting that many in form players especially Pepi who had a brace vs. Jamaica left many wonder was the coach out of his mind. 

Don't forget Dest. I can't believe Greg rotated so much. 

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Will have to look at that long article later, too much work to finish. 

Still, I think there is one point that has to be insisted upon: it is a business model. I am not saying these club academies do not do a good job, but they charge a lot, and tend to be there to ensure a salary for the staff. And they most definitely DO prey on the anxiety of kids and parents looking to get a break and a clearer path to pro. 

They are able to do that because of the failure of State and Provincial FAs, who are pandering to the business academies and not putting in place proper competitive youth football.

Now if there were proper league structures, and fully federated youth systems that were tiered, all these branded academies would have to put out. This business of "all the American coaches wanted to do was win". Well hello, that is what competitive federated coaches do in Europe, and in South America: line up teams to win.

And they do it, often, by recruiting any kid who can play. Which Villareal Virginia does not. They recruit any kid who can pay. The difference is enormous. I have said this before: I've coached u-12 here, and every kid who wanted to play, pretty well, could play. In Barcelona there are even grants for poorer kids, every club has access to request them from the municipal sports institute, so all clubs are able to sign  afew kids whose parents may be unemployed or not able to keep paying (and here you pay 50-70 euros a month for 10 months). I remember when I coached a kid who was a great keeper stopped coming, his Domincan parents could not pay. We tried to get them to come to the office and just sign for the grant, but they wouldn't, they were not even willing to request for their kid. Sad, for me just says that relative poverty can be debilitating in many ways, including when you have avenues to relieve it. But point made.

Some clubs in a competitive tiered system prepare kids by  focussing on skills and care for players, and others less so. It comes down to the club and the team and the player in the end regardless, to the motivation. And to luck. But what especially gets me, always, is how we think a capitalist model created to benefit the home clubs and their reps, shorter term, is going to produce players (never mind that the vast majority of pros are from the working and lower middle classes, worldwide). 

I had family who played youth football in France. Less than a hundred euros a year got you: 2 games a week plus two practices, home and away jerseys (to keep), kit bag, team track suit. And I should emphasize all of this shit looked so nice, you question whether it would have cost hundreds of euros at retail prices. 

And if you were financially struggling, you probably could have found a way to make that free as opposed to the less than 100 euro fee

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Xavier. said:

Not sure of the other bidders (feel free to share), but David Blitzer was a major part of the Augsburg deal.

Didn’t want to muddy up Eustaquio’s thread with off topic stuff. If you want concrete bids you won’t get them unless you’re close to Pepsi’s camp. Either way Ajax and Bayern were the other clubs most heavily linked to Pepi. It was reported EPL teams were interested (IDR if any names were released and I don’t want to spend the time looking) along with the Russian league. Bologna had reportedly made a bid for him last January. AC Milan and Udinese were also interested but that report came out late last summer.

58 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Didn’t want to muddy up Eustaquio’s thread with off topic stuff. If you want concrete bids you won’t get them unless you’re close to Pepsi’s camp. Either way Ajax and Bayern were the other clubs most heavily linked to Pepi. It was reported EPL teams were interested (IDR if any names were released and I don’t want to spend the time looking) along with the Russian league. Bologna had reportedly made a bid for him last January. AC Milan and Udinese were also interested but that report came out late last summer.

Per Tom Bogart it was Wolves who was in for him in the end from the PL