Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

Meh, great club form doesn’t always translate to national team success and vice versa. So many factors like cohesion with teammates, system of team/opposition, etc.

Whatever it is, Larin has been in incredible form for the national team. It’s his spot to lose, imo.

Many national teams have the same thing. A guy starring at his club struggles and a guy who struggles with his club can be a national hero. So many factors that us fans can’t see with the eye.

28 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Meh, great club form doesn’t always translate to national team success and vice versa. So many factors like cohesion with teammates, system of team/opposition, etc.

Whatever it is, Larin has been in incredible form for the national team. It’s his spot to lose, imo.

Many national teams have the same thing. A guy starring at his club struggles and a guy who struggles with his club can be a national hero. So many factors that us fans can’t see with the eye.

Absolutely. I mean these conversations are new to us. Wasn't that long ago that we were yelling at our screens because Friend and Occean were knocking them in regularly in Europe but were ass for Canada.

9 hours ago, frmr said:

Fucking hell, can we stop with this “disrespecting Larin” narrative? Nobody’s saying Larin hasn’t been an amazing player for us and nobody’s disrespecting him. This isn’t Twitter and we’re not Arsenal fans, we can exercise an ability to have nuanced thoughts here, surely. This is about an up and coming player who is knocking on the door of dislodging someone for his place in the starting XI. It has nothing to do with disrespect or sentimentalism, it’s about playing our best XI who are performing to the highest level at that particular time. You know, how all big countries pick their national sides. If someone says a starting Ligue 1 this player (who is potentially scoring) should be played behind a Jupiler Pro League bench player (who is potentially not scoring), they have an ulterior motive, in this case: sentimentalism. Will Herdman agree? Who knows, but I imagine so. Personally, club form going into the tournament trumps anything done in the past for me, as it does for most top nations. 

Can’t see Ugbo starting over Larin if they’re both healthy. As much as we complain here that Larin and David as strikers together “doesn’t work”, it has won us many games on our way to finishing top of the table in WCQ. Larin understands what Herdman wants and has chemistry with all of our other players. We aren’t sitting him on the bench for Ugbo, who has very few minutes with his teammates. I could see it happening after Qatar, or if he comes in as a sub and lights it up or something. But I’d be surprised if it happens before 2023 at the earliest. 

5 minutes ago, frmr said:

I’m not willing to die on this hill, Larin likely will start ahead of Ugbo. And I’m feeling shame over my drunken posts last night.

I was going to post something late last night as well but every time I looked at my phone the room started spinning and I thought I might throw up.  So I just went to sleep.  

Seniority and loyalty only go to a certain point, but let’s be real. Ugbo is a player who has played in a top league for 6 months and has done well. Larin is the top goal scorer in the history of our national team, and his form internationally has been elite recently. Starting Ugbo who has sparingly played for the national team over him because of very recent performance seems like a focusing on trees and not the forest type thing. Maybe Ugbo will succeed him before the Gold Cup, but Larin scored the most goals in World Cup qualifying, there’s no reason to demote him. 

14 hours ago, frmr said:

Fucking hell, can we stop with this “disrespecting Larin” narrative? Nobody’s saying Larin hasn’t been an amazing player for us and nobody’s disrespecting him. This isn’t Twitter and we’re not Arsenal fans, we can exercise an ability to have nuanced thoughts here, surely. This is about an up and coming player who is knocking on the door of dislodging someone for his place in the starting XI. It has nothing to do with disrespect or sentimentalism, it’s about playing our best XI who are performing to the highest level at that particular time. You know, how all big countries pick their national sides. If someone says a starting Ligue 1 this player (who is potentially scoring) should be played behind a Jupiler Pro League bench player (who is potentially not scoring), they have an ulterior motive, in this case: sentimentalism. Will Herdman agree? Who knows, but I imagine so. Personally, club form going into the tournament trumps anything done in the past for me, as it does for most top nations. 

Ummm...I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box but did the Belgian League not just start? And has the French just started this weekend(Troyes not until tomorrow)? So talking about Ugbo replacing Larin is disrespectful because it is so premature and Ugbo hasn't shown shit for Canada and less for Troyes(this season). Give it a rest and let their respective seasons develop before making these comparisons. It's ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, longlugan said:

Ummm...I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box but did the Belgian League not just start? And has the French just started this weekend(Troyes not until tomorrow)? So talking about Ugbo replacing Larin is disrespectful because it is so premature and Ugbo hasn't shown shit for Canada and less for Troyes(this season). Give it a rest and let their respective seasons develop before making these comparisons. It's ridiculous. 

Calm down Dorothy. I think you’ll find the word “if” littered throughout the very posts you’re referencing. It’s not disrespectful to talk about one player playing in front of another IF that player is in better form. Jesus Christ it’s not like we’re saying Larin should have his citizenship revoked, we’re discussing a hypothetical situation about a starting XI on a forum, the literal purpose of which is to discuss these exact things. Disrespect my ass. 

4 hours ago, frmr said:

Calm down Dorothy. I think you’ll find the word “if” littered throughout the very posts you’re referencing. It’s not disrespectful to talk about one player playing in front of another IF that player is in better form. Jesus Christ it’s not like we’re saying Larin should have his citizenship revoked, we’re discussing a hypothetical situation about a starting XI on a forum, the literal purpose of which is to discuss these exact things. Disrespect my ass. 

"This is about an up and coming player who is knocking on the door of dislodging someone for his place in the starting XI." This is your quote...no if's noted here. Is it possible for Ugbo to move ahead of Larin in the pecking order? Of course it is...I don't think anyone disputes that, at least I don't. But it's way too premature for such chatter since both their seasons have just started. Talk about lack of nuance Nancy.

I won't be able to come up with a list or anything, but I think it is far from unprecedented for a player who has done well with their national team to still play for them despite having a bad season with their club. It could be argued that Larin was the most important player in WCQ for us. He has been absolutely lights out for us. I think for him to lose his spot it has to happen on the field with a Canada jersey on his back.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Didn’t see a lot of the ball in attack.  Had a couple of runs into dangerous positions but pretty quiet. 

Ike came up big vs some top Ligue 1 opponents last season but this will be the reality for playing with Troyes.  Attackers won't be getting many opportunities against the big clubs.  Hopefully he can put them away at a similar rate he did last season vs the big clubs and make the most in the competitive fixtures Troyes have.

Edited by Corazon

Great article and quotes from Ugbo discussing the ups and downs of his career, what he does now to perform well and his thoughts on how Canada will do in Qatar:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11140209/Qatar-2022-Ike-Ugbo-ready-shock-Canada-World-Cup.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

On 8/19/2022 at 4:55 PM, Corazon said:

Ike came up big vs some top Ligue 1 opponents last season but this will be the reality for playing with Troyes.  Attackers won't be getting many opportunities against the big clubs.  Hopefully he can put them away at a similar rate he did last season vs the big clubs and make the most in the competitive fixtures Troyes have.

Sounds like what we will likely face at the World Cup, so having someone with experience of scoring from few opportunities could be valuable.