Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

One thing that makes this something more than a normal transfer is that Ike is entering into City Group. Meaning if Ugbo keeps up his value and shows well, there is room for movement up (Girona, Man City), or lateral/down (NYC FC, Palermo if not in Serie A, etc).

Troyes is owned and controlled fully by City Group, which is majority Abu Dhabi. Other teams they own or majority control apart from Man City are NYCFC, Palermo, Lommel in Belgium, Mumbai, Melbourne City. Then they have the largest share of Girona back in La Liga, but 47%, not majority control.

Players in City Group will often move and loan between clubs. Like 20 year old Yan Couto was bought by Man City age 17, went to their U23s, to Girona, back to City u-23s, a year in Braga, now I guess they are deciding what to do with him for next season. Pablo Moreno has had a similar path at similar age, City u23s to Girona, back and forth, now loaned to Maritimo in Portugal.

All these cases are interesting because there could be movement between teams in the same group, the best case recently being Taty Castellanos being loaned from NYCFC to Girona for this season. 

So Troyes signing Ugbo and paying the transfer fee has even greater value, since it is not just a Ligue A club deciding on him, it is the entire group, at least indirectly. And that also ensures possible career paths for him going forward.

42 minutes ago, frmr said:

I think he needs to be in the discussion for our second choice striker. I know he's sort of a pure finisher and might lack other elements of his game, but I think a pairing of David/Ugbo could be lethal. For me it's:

1. David
  2. Larin/Ugbo
  3. Cavallini
  4. A dogfight

I expect Ugbo to start for Troyes and be a feature player while Larin is getting 20 mins per game at Brugge.  If this continues Larin is not a lock to start WC games imo…

3 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I expect Ugbo to start for Troyes and be a feature player while Larin is getting 20 mins per game at Brugge.  If this continues Larin is not a lock to start WC games imo…

Agreed. I think when Ugbo committed, most people thought he would eventually succeed Larin as our #2 striker and it may already be happening over the course of the next few months. I think on paper he suits playing with David more than Larin does as well (though we've yet to properly see it), with David being more of a 9.5 and Ugbo being a pure finisher. I expect we'll see a David/Ugbo partnership in the September friendlies.

55 minutes ago, frmr said:

I think he needs to be in the discussion for our second choice striker. I know he's sort of a pure finisher and might lack other elements of his game, but I think a pairing of David/Ugbo could be lethal. For me it's:

1. David
  2. Larin/Ugbo
  3. Cavallini
  4. A dogfight

He just hasn't been given a real chance yet. Think he was primed for a start with Iran but... well yeah. 

Hope in September he is given an actual run out. 

I’ve always found Larin’s conditioning and pace to be a bit of an issue to be honest and if he’s not able to play meaningful minutes this fall his fitness will be shit.   Also, with Liam Miller off to a decent start and playing a lot for Basel he might move up the depth chart at forward for the MNT too…

Iké Ugbo back in Blue & White
estac.fr August 04, 2022

ESTAC is pleased to announce the definitive signing of Iké Ugbo, who returns to the club after a successful first spell on loan. The Canadian international is committed to Bleu & Blanc for four seasons (2026). Arrived from Genk (Belgium) last January, the center-forward had scored 5 goals in 14 days. With this return to Bleu & Blanc, Iké Ugbo and ESTAC are continuing to build a long-term project, which will promote the development of the player in the top flight.

A quick adaptation

By joining ESTAC in January 2022, Iké Ugbo showed many attacking qualities, which quickly earned him a starting position. The native of London will return the confidence granted by Bruno Irles with a first achievement against Rennes (J25, 4-1), in just two appearances.

During the reception of Nantes (J28), decisive meeting in the race to maintain, Iké Ugbo scored the only goal of the evening. By giving a precious victory against the Canaries (1-0), the striker is acclaimed by the Stade de l'Aube, which is witnessing the rapid adaptation of its new striker.

A key asset

Iké Ugbo continues his ascent and once again demonstrates his attacking qualities in Monaco. Author of an individual feat, the Canadian striker once again found the net in the Principality (J31, 2-1). By once again bringing his stone to the Trojan edifice, he will also score a precious goal at the Parc des Princes. He relaunched the Trojans led in the Capital, which will end up hanging a draw against Paris Saint-Germain, synonymous with a maintenance almost validated (J36, 2-2).

A bet on the future

By offering the services of the Canadian for the next four seasons, the Trojan club is betting on the future and the development of Iké Ugbo, who will play again in the elite. This new stage in his career will allow him to toughen up at the highest level. His arrival testifies to ESTAC's desire to enrich its workforce, in particular with talented young players like Iké.

For this new exercise in the colors of Troyes, the Canadian will be keen to continue writing the beautiful story he started and to register as a driving force for the Blue and Whites. With the 2022 World Cup in sight, Iké Ugbo will be able to evolve in an optimal working environment with the aim of achieving one of his dreams: to compete in a World Cup with the Canadian selection.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

15 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Still shocked at the lack or respect Larin gets sometimes. He's been a beast for Canada, and people are talking about dropping him down to 3rd string? uh, no

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Still shocked at the lack or respect Larin gets sometimes. He's been a beast for Canada, and people are talking about dropping him down to 3rd string? uh, no

Yeah, as excited as I am to see Ugbo’s continued progress, Larin has been massive for us.  He has scored more goals than anyone else in our team’s history, including some massive WCQ goals (he scored 3 of the 4 goals we got in our wins over Mexico and the US).  I am not saying it’s impossible that Ugbo could displace him but let’s rein things in a bit.  Larin has consistently done the work for us.  Hell, it was only a few months ago that many on here were hoping for a move to EPL.   

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

If Ugbo is starting and scoring for Troyes and Larin is not starting/scoring for Club, Ugbo moves past him. It's not a lack of respect, it's how sport works. Herdman has said people will need to earn their spots on this team/starting XI and rightly so.

You could easily say "still shocked at the lack or (sic) respect Ugbo gets sometimes. He's been a beast for Troyes an people are still talking about not giving him a run of games for Canada? uh, no".

7 minutes ago, frmr said:

If Ugbo is starting and scoring for Troyes and Larin is not starting/scoring for Club, Ugbo moves past him. It's not a lack of respect, it's how sport works. Herdman has said people will need to earn their spots on this team/starting XI and rightly so.

You could easily say "still shocked at the lack or (sic) respect Ugbo gets sometimes. He's been a beast for Troyes an people are still talking about not giving him a run of games for Canada? uh, no".

Thing is Troyes when negotiating with Genk said that his game was limited and he had to improve parts of it. While Larin has wing play if you want and, like David, has midfield play if he wants. 

If you want one finisher, another attacker with mobility, an attacking wing/mid, and a creative mid who can smell goal, Ugbo, for now, is on the bench. 

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thing is Troyes when negotiating with Genk said that his game was limited and he had to improve parts of it. While Larin has wing play if you want and, like David, has midfield play if he wants. 

If you want one finisher, another attacker with mobility, an attacking wing/mid, and a creative mid who can smell goal, Ugbo, for now, is on the bench. 

I know but this is always the criticism of the David/Larin pairing when playing a two-striker system, that they're both too similar, dropping deep, making late runs. David is our clear best striker but he's more of a centre forward/9.5 type attacker and I think he can benefit from playing with a pure traditional 9 as he did with Yilmaz his first year at Lille. On paper, Ugbo and David would be a great pairing and I think we're going to see it in September. Ugbo lacks elements of his game, as we've been told, but so does Larin. The one reason I would say we may not see David/Ugbo is lack of playing time together, but September will be telling. Ugbo may remain a supersub.

Edited by frmr

5 minutes ago, frmr said:

I know but this is always the criticism of the David/Larin pairing when playing a two-striker system, that they're both too similar, dropping deep, making late runs. David is our clear best striker but he's more of a centre forward/9.5 type attacker and I think he can benefit from playing with a pure traditional 9 as he did with Yilmaz his first year at Lille. On paper, Ugbo and David would be a great pairing and I think we're going to see it in September. Ugbo lacks elements of his game, as we've been told, but so does Larin. The one reason I would say we may not see David/Ugbo is lack of playing time together, but September will be telling. Ugbo may remain a supersub.

Mostly accept this, only that Yilmaz had far more range than any of them and, at his best, a higher work rate. 

But I agree we lost an opportunity to start Ike with David, just to learn a few things. 

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, as excited as I am to see Ugbo’s continued progress, Larin has been massive for us.  He has scored more goals than anyone else in our team’s history, including some massive WCQ goals (he scored 3 of the 4 goals we got in our wins over Mexico and the US).  I am not saying it’s impossible that Ugbo could displace him but let’s rein things in a bit.  Larin has consistently done the work for us.  Hell, it was only a few months ago that many on here were hoping for a move to EPL.   

Larin was great for us no doubt but we’re taking about now and the next few months.  If Larin continues to play a very limited role with Brugge and struggle  he simply won’t be fit to start WC games.     

Larin has impressed and has been huge for us -- moreso than I could have expected. That said, he is not getting a lot of playing time and a younger Ugbo will succeed him eventually. It's not a knock against Larin. He should 100 per cent be in Qatar. I just think a David / Ugbo pairing is worth a look at the very least. 

3 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

Larin was great for us no doubt but we’re taking about now and the next few months.  If Larin continues to play a very limited role with Brugge and struggle  he simply won’t be fit to start WC games.     

Larin played a limited role for Besiktas in their 2021-22 season and scored the most goals in the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers.

What does Larin have to do to get some respect? He produces for three straight years at Orlando, they won't pay him what he deserves. He takes a demotion at Besiktas, comes back and leads the team in scoring then gets sent to the bench the next season behind a guy who then produces 20% fewer goals. Now he's sitting while a couple of unproven youngsters get all the minutes and is immediately written off by his countrymen even though he's done nothing but score for the national team against everyone he plays. What gives? Not enough social media self-promotion? 

Nothing against Ugbo, but Larin has earned his starting role on the national team. Ugbo would have to be absolutely on fire in Ligue Un to displace him for this tournament. 

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

What does Larin have to do to get some respect? He produces for three straight years at Orlando, they won't pay him what he deserves. He takes a demotion at Besiktas, comes back and leads the team in scoring then gets sent to the bench the next season behind a guy who then produces 20% fewer goals. Now he's sitting while a couple of unproven youngsters get all the minutes and is immediately written off by his countrymen even though he's done nothing but score for the national team against everyone he plays. What gives? Not enough social media self-promotion? 

Nothing against Ugbo, but Larin has earned his starting role on the national team. Ugbo would have to be absolutely on fire in Ligue Un to displace him for this tournament. 

Fucking hell, can we stop with this “disrespecting Larin” narrative? Nobody’s saying Larin hasn’t been an amazing player for us and nobody’s disrespecting him. This isn’t Twitter and we’re not Arsenal fans, we can exercise an ability to have nuanced thoughts here, surely. This is about an up and coming player who is knocking on the door of dislodging someone for his place in the starting XI. It has nothing to do with disrespect or sentimentalism, it’s about playing our best XI who are performing to the highest level at that particular time. You know, how all big countries pick their national sides. If someone says a starting Ligue 1 this player (who is potentially scoring) should be played behind a Jupiler Pro League bench player (who is potentially not scoring), they have an ulterior motive, in this case: sentimentalism. Will Herdman agree? Who knows, but I imagine so. Personally, club form going into the tournament trumps anything done in the past for me, as it does for most top nations. 

The understanding Larin and David have is irreplaceable.  Cavallini who is a bit of a Hernan Crespo / Higuain type frontman 9 he can cope with both David and Larin very in a very good way.   Ukbe is s 9 who needs service from the sides a bit like your very own Olivier Occèan.  Ukbe could develop but needs a bit of streetwise football to improve I would loan him a season to Brazil or Argentina to learn this métier of 9 better

2 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

The understanding Larin and David have is irreplaceable.  Cavallini who is a bit of a Hernan Crespo / Higuain type frontman 9 he can cope with both David and Larin very in a very good way.   Ukbe is s 9 who needs service from the sides a bit like your very own Olivier Occèan.  Ukbe could develop but needs a bit of streetwise football to improve I would loan him a season to Brazil or Argentina to learn this métier of 9 better

I was a bit under the influence of the spirits (et al) on my last post but I took extra care to make sure I came across as a God Fearing Man but I see you did not take those same precautions judging by your loose tongue at such an ungodly hour.