Joel Waterman

nolando

Would we not all agree that last season was the best of Henry's career thus far?  He's been unfortunate with injuries but he still looks a better player than when he first left MLS.  He was great for Blackburn at that time and could easily play Championship ball still.  

If not for the club he was on I think Henry could have been an MLS All Star last year.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agreed.  I feel Henry totally fit into the Championship League.  He was doing great until the injury.  His confidence and judgement seem to have taken a hit since then.  He sometimes seems to hesitate as opposed to letting the instinct, experience and muscle memory kick in.  Easily explainable however. Most likely he just feels he's one bad stretch from another injury so he's constantly aware of his physical limits.  Would be sad if that was indeed the case, and i wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I think it might explain why you go to where I assume some long-term money is, whether it provides the best football future or not. 

I see he played today/yesterday? 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Would we not all agree that last season was the best of Henry's career thus far?  He's been unfortunate with injuries but he still looks a better player than when he first left MLS.  He was great for Blackburn at that time and could easily play Championship ball still.  

If not for the club he was on I think Henry could have been an MLS All Star last year.  

I can't comment on that because I can't catch enough (any really) Pacific time games. I can only say he looked better in England (albeit briefly) to me than when I have seen him with Canada, last year. 

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I can't comment on that because I can't catch enough (any really) Pacific time games. I can only say he looked better in England (albeit briefly) to me than when I have seen him with Canada, last year. 

At times for Vancouver he was straight dominant.  Admittedly it was not a great time for him for Canada.  The Cuba series was a disaster - if it can be possible for a defender to be disastrous in a 6-0 and 1-0 win he somehow did it (though he also had his first goal).  USA away was a mistake to throw him in there. 

Hopefully this year will be better for him with the MNT.  

Enough Henry talk, this kid deserves to be talked about.

Didn't catch all of Montreal's opener but caught some. I thought Waterman did well a few times stepping forward and playing passes through the lines. This is a big strength of his game, especially in a back 3. He is comfortable stepping forward into midfield (or even just a few yards) to facilitate progress. I know he played some defensive mid before so this is not surprising.

Defensively I thought he did ok. There were a couple moments where he was beaten but I think it has more to do with getting acclimated to the speed and strength of this level moreso than fatal defensive deficiencies. Montreal conceded possession in the CCL but between him and Binks, they have a couple centre backs that can progress the ball so I will be interested to see how Henry plays. They have injuries at centre back so if they stick with 3 of them then you think Binks and Waterman will be playing a lot.

• 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

That sucks I was hoping to see him play... 

No doubt.

He had a great and promising start to his Impact career in the games this spring.   

I will be looking to see if this will necessitate a switch in tactics for Henry.   Was he playing with 3 CB's because that's what he really wanted to go with, or was it in part to get Waterman on the field?

31 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

No doubt.

He had a great and promising start to his Impact career in the games this spring.   

I will be looking to see if this will necessitate a switch in tactics for Henry.   Was he playing with 3 CB's because that's what he really wanted to go with, or was it in part to get Waterman on the field?

I think maybe it was because of injuries on the backline that Waterman got in, Raitala and Camacho were both hurt.   

38 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

No doubt.

Henry started off with 3 CBs in his first game against Saprissa. I think Waterman was 4th or 5th in depth to start. From what I remember, Waterman was a 20+ minute substitute that first game for an injury. He started after that, and I thought he played well overall. Definitely wasn't overwhelmed.

Edit: Ninja'd

Edited by Trois Reds
Ninja'd! Lol

Sad news. Was really looking forward to watching him like the rest of you. Hopefully it is a minor pull and he can feature later on in the tournament.

Hamstrings are tricky though, he may have to shut it down for MLSisBACK I am afraid.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think maybe it was because of injuries on the backline that Waterman got in, Raitala and Camacho were both hurt.   

Thanks, I had forgotten about those injuries.

What i did remember was watching a few games with Binks, Fanni, and Waterman across the back and being pretty impressed.  Especially considering the relative inexperience of Binks and Waterman!

57 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

He should even be starting at CB for Canada honestly

He's not far from that. 

At this point, we're not looking for someone to step up and be all Virgil Van Dijk.  All we need from our CB's at the moment is: decent athleticism, focus on positioning and limit the mistakes/fouls.  Just keep it simple.  They don't need to be dominant, simple game and limit the mistakes, just that would give us a strong chance of being really competetive. 

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Based on what?  2 MLS games and 3 Concacaf champions league games?

Doneil Henry, Derek Cornelius, Steven Vitoria (ugh!), Kamal Miller, Adam Straith all have a larger body of work than he does.  Could probably also include Manjrekar James in that list as well.

Should he be involved?  Sure.  But starting is getting ahead of ourselves.

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Based on what?  2 MLS games and 3 Concacaf champions league games?

Doneil Henry, Derek Cornelius, Steven Vitoria (ugh!), Kamal Miller, Adam Straith all have a larger body of work than he does.  Could probably also include Manjrekar James in that list as well.

Should he be involved?  Sure.  But starting is getting ahead of ourselves.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

I fall somewhere in the middle of these two opinions. Yes he should be involved and yes he doesn't have a large body of work, but what we have seen has been promising. I am personally not ready to declare him a starter just yet, but if he gets called in and Herdman starts him I wouldn't be surprised and to be honest I don't think I would have too much of a problem with it. 

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I fall somewhere in the middle of these two opinions. Yes he should be involved and yes he doesn't have a large body of work, but what we have seen has been promising. I am personally not ready to declare him a starter just yet, but if he gets called in and Herdman starts him I wouldn't be surprised and to be honest I don't think I would have too much of a problem with it. 

If Herdman starts him, it will depend on the opposition.  Against any team in the top 10 in CONCACAF in WCQ would make me very nervous/angry.  In a friendly or against an 11+ team in CONCACAF, sure, fill your boots.

6 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

If Herdman starts him, it will depend on the opposition.  Against any team in the top 10 in CONCACAF in WCQ would make me very nervous/angry.  In a friendly or against an 11+ team in CONCACAF, sure, fill your boots.

Yeah for sure. I would not be worried whatsoever against any team outside the top 8. If we were playing the USA, Mexico or even Costa Rica/Honduras/Jamaica I would be more iffy. His Champions League performance against Olimpia gave me a lot of confidence in him, plus his attributes suggest he will get better alongside better players. I think that's why he's looked comfortable jumping up to the MLS level. The lack of experience though is a concern though, I definitely agree on that. 

Edited by Obinna