Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

This is incredibly nitpicky but I was hoping for wunderkinds from all three MLS teams: Habibullah and Assi to go along with JMR.  Personally, I haven't seen anything from JMR in an MLS, unlike Habibullah, and could definitely see them taking the spots of guys like Twardek or Bair or Brym who've had chances to attend camps and let Herdman see what they can do.

Again, very nitpicky because this is a 60 man list, just disappointed they weren't on there.  Hope they aren't being forgotten.  I personally put Habibullah on par with Flores/Jebbison in terms of urgency to cap-tie, but that might just be me.

I have only seen the sub appearances by Habibullah but he certainly looked good in those limited minutes.  I agree that if we are going to embark on a player-pool-building Gold Cup, it would have been nice to see him as part of the undertaking.  

No Dias is a real shame. Could be multiple reasons for that though that aren't the worst.

Ayo is surely game set and match. Fact he isn't on the US 60 man roster tells its own story. No guarantees he gets in the 23 though. Those 20 outfield spots are precious. If Larin, David, Cavalllini or Jebbison are all interested they are ahead of him imo. In an ideal world we have Jebbison and Ayo there, but in an ideal world its 30 man roster not 23 😛 

I would be happy with Cavallini, Jebbison and Ayo with Larin and David rested. If they want in and are able I am not saying no though.

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If I had my choice, I would now go with a 23 man roster that mixes our A team with the best of the uncapped young prospects.  Still prep the first team for the Ocho, grab some duals with the incentive of playing with our very best, and test some Ocho depth. It would mean a snub for some potential B teamers who may need to be called upon in the Ocho, but I think the chance to build out player pool like this probably cant be wasted.

Easier said than done.  I just tried to cut it down to 23 and I ended up with 32.  The next nine cuts are going to be some seriously decent players.

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

We should have Davies in the 23 just to set up Tosaint with 6 back door tap-in goals against Martinique. 

We need to protect Phonzie’s legs first and for most.  Let Pasher do it, I have faith in a B/B+ team.

Edited by badname22

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I have only seen the sub appearances by Habibullah but he certainly looked good in those limited minutes.  I agree that if we are going to embark on a player-pool-building Gold Cup, it would have been nice to see him as part of the undertaking.  

We are almost at the stage we need a Canada B team and some friendlies lol. Such a gutter with the TFC covid debacle that we didn't have a stronger team out for the Olympic qualifiers we could have really given our depth a run out and got in the public eye. I do feel we have a big chance in this Gold Cup and winning it would be absolutely huge going into the Och so a bit of balance with the final 23 would be good. 

- No Borjan & Adekugbe means focus on club & or personal and will expect them all back in September.

- No Metcalfe is a surprise given he was just called to the recent taxi squad a few weeks ago.

- No CPL players is no surprise given they have not played this year and the season will be starting.

- No Edwards, James, Cordova & Tabla in the 60 man roster is a bit of a surprise.

- No Habibullah, Assi, Mitrovic, Soloman, Smith, Pepple & Dias is disappointing but I also remain hopeful in the future.

- Lastly, very happy to see Vilsaint, Elva, Flores, Jebbison, Paton, Pasher & Twardek included in this preliminary list.

Edited by Corazon

2 minutes ago, Corazon said:

- No Borjan, Adekugbe & Henry means focus on club & or personal and will expect them all back in September.

- No Metcalfe is a surprise given he was just called to train with Canada a few weeks ago.

- No CPL players is no surprise given they have not played this year and the sea son will be starting.

- No Edwards, James, Cordova & Tabla in the 60 man roster is a surprise.

- No Soloman & Dias is disappointing but also remain hopeful in the future.

- Lastly, very happy to see Vilsaint, Elva, Flores, Jebbison, Paton, Pasher & Twardek included in this preliminary list.

Henry is on the list.

No Metcalfe/Habibullah definitely is a surprise when Raposo is there.

Also question Vilsaint being there over Habibullah/Assi. I know he's attached to Antwerp but what's his situation? Does he train with the first team?

Edited by CanadaFan123

15 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Easier said than done.  I just tried to cut it down to 23 and I ended up with 32.  The next nine cuts are going to be some seriously decent players.

Yeah, I started jotting down names and plugging in a mix of A team and prospects and you are right - it is challenging.  Some things can be potentially worked out but it does result in some odd choices you would have to explain.  For example, as strikers you could take  David and Larin as A team, and Jebbison and Ayo as prospects.  That would leave out some first team players like Cav (but could let him focus on VWC games) as well as probably deserving B teamers like Akindele.  I think the latter is just a casualty of the situation - though he too would have MLS games to focus on.  Tough one though.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

I think we're at a point now where we have enough depth that good players are simply going to have to miss tournaments. I would much rather cap the young guys than bring Cav or Akindele. I personally think the big guns will miss this tournament though and it will be a B+ team with hopefully some important cap ties. If Jebbison or Flores committed I would be over the moon.

2 minutes ago, David Pinto said:

Do players have to accept being on the provisional roster? Or do we just put in a wishlist?

Would flores (not called by mexico) have had to say yes to being on the list. 

According to Galindo's tweet (on the previous page, 19) the players are contacted first to accept. Then its up to Herdman who he picks from the list. Probably doesn't mean they can't back out but if true it means both Flores and Jebbison have put themselves out there in the knowledge they can get called and want to come.

2 minutes ago, David Pinto said:

Do players have to accept being on the provisional roster? Or do we just put in a wishlist?

Would flores (not called by mexico) have had to say yes to being on the list. 

I’ve asked the same question and have gotten different answers. My sense is that this is as much a “realistic wish list” as anything. I.e. the CSA has had conversations with Flores / Jebbison  at some point but it certainly does not guarantee that if called they will accept 

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I’ve asked the same question and have gotten different answers. My sense is that this is as much a “realistic wish list” as anything. I.e. the CSA has had conversations with Flores / Jebbison  at some point but it certainly does not guarantee that if called they will accept 

I've seen the handle "floortom" ask this on reddit and twitter. The man wants an answer.

If we go with a B squad, I really hope we call up Elva and Paton given their successful club season ahead of guys like Bair/Brym and Raposo. We know what we have with the last 3 and their OQ was disapointing so for this Gold Cup let’s have a look at some new guys that earned the call because they had a good season. 

Edited by HochelagaFC

1 minute ago, HochelagaFC said:

If we go with a B squad, I really hope we call up Elva and Paton given their successful club season ahead of guys like Bair/Brym and Raposo. We know what we have with the last 3 and their OQ was disapointing so for this Gold Cup let’s have a look at some new guys that earned the call because they had a good season. 

3 guys with zero production across their club seasons and zero production for the Olympic squad. Bizarre.

Once you narrow this roster down to 30 men, it’s almost impossible to pick and choose who is omitted to make it 23. Absolutely crazy how much our depth has grown. If Flores, Jebbison and Akinola have all indeed accepted to represent Canada, then IMO they have to be there. That unfortunately, could be at the expense of players like Baldisimo, Priso, Paton and some of our A team vets. 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

3 guys with zero production across their club seasons and zero production for the Olympic squad. Bizarre.

I’m just scared that if it’s a B squad and it goes down to those guys that the coaching staff will go for familiarity (Bair, Brym, Raposo) instead of unknowns like Paton and Elva.

Only error I see is Ricketts, acc to this, still at TFC.

Leutwiler is out of contract at the end of the month so will be Unattached. 

Some countries call up players and do these list by contacting all players first. Others do not. I know in Spain it is often a surprise, they do an Olympics, or a CL squad list, and players fall over surprised when they hear. That is common when most play in the home league and belong to a major football nation.

I would suspect that each did in fact get a call here if not in the last camp, and had conversations with Herdman after the final Haiti match if in that mix. 

I personally believe that the core starters for the A team, the 6-7 seen here, should not be in fact called in. 

We know that Herdman has done lots of work with Flores with calls back and forth. You would assume the same with Jebbison. Either way there is no way given what he has done in the past they are cold calls. This would have been in Herdmans planning with likely both players. Whether they make the final 23 who knows. Could see Flores coming as an extra to train with squad to make up for the missed opportunity in Jan. Would be amazing if the makes the 23 though, like wise Jebbison.