Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

He is right in the sense that Bontis' sons gets special privilege. Was with TFC Academy (not sure if they're still there).

As for the rest, I've seen Mitrovic play. He ain't ready. Like seriously, no where near ready for this team. Especially with the wingers he's going up against.

The kid still looked really raw and personally never stood out for me. Apparently his club is thinking the same, he barely plays now. His performances didn't justify it. I'm sorry but that's the harsh reality.

The father is making an ass of himself and his son. Incredibly stupid to burn bridges now. Kid is only 18.

Just now, Colliedor said:

I was also hoping to see Dias and Smith on the list but I guess I got greedy.

If Galindo is right with his tweet I think Dias omission makes sense. We know he isn't quite there yet on deciding. What it does tell us, if true, is that Jebbison, Flores and Ayo are, which is potentially huge. 

58 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

About 10 years ago we had another kid's father come on here and say a lot of the same things (not necessarily the Bontis stuff but the same sour grapes).  Anyone remember who that was?  The kid was playing in the Czech Republic or Slovakia or another similar country.  It might've been an Andrew something?

Anyways, good times....

This is exactly what it reminded me of. 

This Mitrovic commentary is sorta funny. I get that there's more going on behind the scenes, but it feels very entitled to be outraged by your kid not being called.

Just 2 years ago, he was not signed from the CPL open trials. Obviously an 18 year old can come a long way in two years, but some decent starts with a middle of the pack doesn't make you a shoe-in for the senior national team. Otherwise, Stefan Cebara should've got a much longer run out with the CanMNT during his stint at Vojvodina.

Edited by Pottsy3

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

In saying that if the CSA felt they had no chance at Jebbison and Flores they probably wouldn’t be included.

Didn't this happen with some of our Caribbean counter parts recently?  Where they named some big players who didn't actually show up or announce an interest.  Seems to ring a bell.

4 hours ago, king1010 said:

No Manjrekar James. He seems to have fallen really far. 

What could he have possibly done?  I'm seriously intrigued by his situation.  Talked back?  Showed up late?  Was disrespectful?  Antivaxxer?

Edited by costarg

Wow, I’m really happy if Akinola, Flores, and Jebbison show up. I know they’re not sure things but it’s big to win every dual national that you can. I’m alright with Dias saying he doesn’t want to commit yet but hopefully the senior team looking good helps convincing him. 

Arfield being on the list seems to at least confirm he’s still part of the national team. 

Dias made the B team and I believe they’re on tour or something, the timing for him was wrong, career has to come first right now, you don’t want to lose that place.

if Ayo, Daniel and Marcelo were listed, I’d expect each is there and that yes we will cap them. Why waste the spots ?

Pepple isn’t ready, too much comp and can’t call everyone.

6 hours ago, VanMetropole said:

Lmaooooooo peak hockey parent.

The GF works in high performance sport programs and I've heard the horror stories. Sadly there are a lot of parents like this. It's tough because 1) It's their child and they wants the best of them and 2) They've probably been the best player on all the teams they've played on to date so hard to imagine them not being at the top.

Can Herdman be influenced in selecting players by having a relationship? Yeah of course.. he's human but if Herdman had the choice between his drinking buddies kid and a better player, I'd like to believe he's going to choose the better player. 

Also sometimes our objectives (cap tie, blood new talent, etc) might be different than his, which could explain a lot. 

The father going off like this in public is not a good look , it’s not a good look at all. However, the one thing all say is that Mitrovic was getting some good minutes as an 18 year old in the top league in Serbia a league that has produced a lot of good players over the years,  so I found it strange that he was not included in our Olympic team especially with the TFC players missing because of Covid. 

Probably an unpopular opinion lol but while it's nice to see some euro u23 guys on this list, I wonder if it is better they prioritize trying to improve their club position before playing in a Gold Cup that frankly is a second thought to the WCQ starting Sept. 

There are enough established guys on this list that we probably don't need to stop the youngsters from missing quality preseasons. Besides they will have many more future Gold Cup tournaments to dominate.

Also as much as we know the man loves playing footie, I think Davies should take a month vacation - kid is a machine, but even the best need a break occasionally.

I've never seen this Mitrovic kid play, and maybe his credentials are better than a few guys on the 60 player list, but for what it's worth (surely not much) his club is worth an estimated $6.33m according to transfermarkt. Houston Dynamo is the lowest in MLS by that metric with $19.97m.

Maybe he is good enough to make the list of 60, regardless of what Herdman is going for (unless it's just as many cynical cap-ties as possible) he likely isn't good enough for the 23 man roster, and he DEFINITELY doesn't seem to have the kind of credentials to be so entitled to the senior national team for his father to go off like that. Did he freak out on Serbia like that in March when Stefan didn't get called for World Cup Qualifiers? Or will he if his son doesn't get called in September for Serbia's next World Cup Qualifiers? I bet in this guy's mind his son is understandably not yet ready for mighty Serbia, but surely he must easily be good enough for lowly Canada! 

Glancing at everybody's squads, I am honestly torn between making sure we let people get some rest and cap-tying some important kids on one hand versus going all out and battering some people and winning this thing on the other.

Beating Chicharito in the Gold Cup would be a little bit of club therapy for me in addition to you know - winning something.    

What an ass! Sour grapes, entitlement, lack of professionalism, and an aggressive father who publicly "calls out the CSA" for not picking his son (who is no where near at the level necessary) is a perfect scenario for never getting a call up in the future.  Let's be clear, the only two people responsible for selecting players to the Canadian national team are Herdman (MNT) and Biello (Olympic) and both coaches will only keep their jobs if they select the best players possible to compete and win.  I expect Herdman and Biello don't appreciate derogatory commentary from a father no less. No CPL team picked his son (even for their training squad) I suspect for the same reasons. The kid would be wise to tell his father to "shut up" because he won't end up playing much longer in Serbia either which would be sad. 

41 minutes ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

What an ass! Sour grapes, entitlement, lack of professionalism, and an aggressive father who publicly "calls out the CSA" for not picking his son (who is no where near at the level necessary) is a perfect scenario for never getting a call up in the future.  Let's be clear, the only two people responsible for selecting players to the Canadian national team are Herdman (MNT) and Biello (Olympic) and both coaches will only keep their jobs if they select the best players possible to compete and win.  I expect Herdman and Biello don't appreciate derogatory commentary from a father no less. No CPL team picked his son (even for their training squad) I suspect for the same reasons. The kid would be wise to tell his father to "shut up" because he won't end up playing much longer in Serbia either which would be sad. 

I get the father part totally agree, but to say he is not close to the level necessary to be selected to the 60 man squad roster , I’m just wondering where are you getting that from ? But yet I’m sure you probably question like many on here have why a Dias did not make the squad. Look I’ll be totally honest I’ve only seen highlights of Mitrovic playing and saw a bit of Dias with the Olympic team . Dias showed flashes of talent but didn’t do anything to convince me he is the next big star yet . With Mitrovic I’m just going by the fact that a young player the same age as Dias has had a lot of starts in the Serbian league a level definitely higher than the CPL and probably close to the MLS in level of play , I mean doesn’t our starting keeper play in that league ?    Look I’m only going by the fact that this kid is playing in that league and I’ve never watched him play only highlights, but like I said the fact he has started and has played a lot of minutes for me it would not have been a surprise if he had made the 60 man roster . 

Edited by SoccMan