Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

1 minute ago, Strait Red said:

Stefan Mitrovic’s Father is not happy with the player selection.

1D856095-F2AA-4D12-8F0B-EA70EEAAE870.jpeg

He is not alone being left off. It is a shame but at the same time we don't know where he compares with the players we have. I don't know about the TFC players but I would have put him ahead of Raposo or at least taken a look at him. Bottom line is only 30/33 of these players will likely be travelling. It is a bit of an insult to not be on the "top 60" list but calling it that is inaccurate. The fact the CSA/Herdman don't rate Stefan is sadly likely not.

I would’ve like to see Mitrovic on this list he deserved it but it’s ridiculous to imply that it was Bontis call. I think his opinion might be tainted by bad past experiences, maybe his son was cut from TFC in favor of one of Bontis kid? That would not surprise me but the Gold Cup list is clearly Herdman’s call. 

We obviously have more depth than ever which is very important with all of these fixtures coming up in WCQ, I hope JH is able to have a good look at some players who may have been called but not played too prominent of a role before, I'm thinking of guys like Millar and Corbeanu and it would be awesome to get Flores, Jebbison and Akinola into meaningful games and tie them to the program! I would still be surprised if David and Davies are there, I think if we get most of the players we want from the 60 man list this team should be very competitive regardless of who isn't there, exciting times!

Edited by gator

22 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

He’s not wrong. I personally would’ve rather seen Mitrovic over Raposo, Bair or Ricketts for example. 

He is a 2002, so NOT eligible for the next U20 cycle ( 2003s and younger) and therefore only eligible for the next U23 cycle.

A shame he wasn't called but we shall see how far he gets with Serbia and if he gets a U21 call.

Somebody remind me to bump his thread in September to check the Serbian U21 squad to either see if he is on it or see the level of the players getting called.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

About 10 years ago we had another kid's father come on here and say a lot of the same things (not necessarily the Bontis stuff but the same sour grapes).  Anyone remember who that was?  The kid was playing in the Czech Republic or Slovakia or another similar country.  It might've been an Andrew something?

Anyways, good times....

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

About 10 years ago we had another kid's father come on here and say a lot of the same things (not necessarily the Bontis stuff but the same sour grapes).  Anyone remember who that was?  The kid was playing in the Czech Republic or Slovakia or another similar country.  It might've been an Andrew something?

Anyways, good times....

Andrew Kliment 

40 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

And continues....

27E59590-65EB-4AA3-8707-44CDE732DF7B.jpeg

Toxic parents can really hurt their kid's careers. Especially when it seems, by the emotions, that Stephan did indeed want to represent Canada. He still can. And he is not getting a Serbia call-up at anywhere this level soon either. 

So much else wrong here. 

First, there has to be a dialogue. If this parent is the kid's manager, what sort of dialogue can you have? If Stephan has another manager, I hope he is smarter than the dad.

Next, it is directly disrespectful to Herdman, the idea that he's calling up players based on some old-boys network or CSA pressure. Doesn't wash. 

Then, it is just for a B-team callup for the Gold Cup. Other kids were also omitted. Over half will not make it anyways. You can't be so definitive about these things. Dias, similar age and called up for the OQ, is not here, and you could argue others as well (Pepple is at Getafe, higher level team than Stephan's).

But basically: the press can discuss a call-up. You can complain about players who are overwhelmingly deserving and have been shunned. But not at this age, after just a few months pro. It is silly. I heard that interview with Stephan, forgot what podcast now, but I recommend it: he's much more mature than this.

I didn't see this posted about but  Midtjylland has Champions league qualify games against Celtic at the end of July. So to me James is in the same situation as Borjan. 

I hadn't heard anything about personal issues or a dispute with Herdman/staff. Hopefully the reason James wasn't included is just that Midtjylland needs him for important games.

So I think I had this backwards and maybe I still have it messed up. I thought Gold Cup didn't count towards a cap-tie but I am reading online that 1 appearance at the World Cup OR Gold cup (official confederation tournament) = Captied, exclusive to the new normal 3 caps rule for Nations league/qualifiers etc. 

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi.pdf Page 37/38. 

So if Jebbison, Ayo or Flores are in the 23 and make an appearance they will be captied :o   Is this right?