U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

Gian-Luca

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

so out of ideas that hes striking from midfield down a goal and a few minutes to go..wow

I think he has been too selfish for some of this match but I actually didn’t mind that one.  He saw the keeper off his line and tried to grab one.  When we needed at least 2 goals in a short period of time, I don’t think that is a bad gamble to take. 

Just now, SkuseisLoose said:

New Zealand gk saved them today respect to him; we should have been more clinical with the amount of chances we had. On a positive note Nelson is ******* magic.

He may be magic, but it is a team sport.  When he gets stripped of the ball by the 3rd or 4th guy with a wide open man on the wing, I don’t think that is smart play. 

Obviously the finishing isn't quite there yet, but the boys have put together some decent touches. They were absolutely snake-bitten in the final 3rd tonight.   With the kiwi keeper making a bunch of great saves and a BS offside call taking one off the board.

This will be an exciting group to follow as they progress onto the u20's and even further, as these guys develop more chemistry together.  

Well the positive to me is that its clear that there is some fantastic individual talent on this team.  I am confident that at least half a dozen or more players look like they could develop into quite impressive players in the future. I just hope that, they receive some quality coaching in the future.

Edited by Corazon

The talent is there but when you have a useless coach guiding the ship what do you expect? Get some bloody new coaches in there it’s always the same 3 or 4 guys coaching these youth teams, think outside the bloody box and get some new guys in there who can instil a winning mentality with these youth national teams. It’s 2019 they should not be losing to bloody New Zealand at any age group!

Better performance this time around. Especially from Nelson. Just a shame the NZ goalkeeper went into beast mode.

Team wise, there was issues in this tournament, but individually some players did show their potential and played well. Still really excited by some of these players and really hope they continue to progress.

Edited by Colliedor

My sense of Olivieri is that he’s... uncomplicated. Kind of like the fans at the hockey game that yell “shoot!” for 60 minutes regardless of the situation.  Not sure it’s a winning mentality these boys need but a professional mentality — one that recognizes that talent must always come second to a tactical plan that everyone buys into. I’m not convinced from these three games and the qualifying games that Olivieri is the guy to provide that.  Certainly there was talent on display tonight, but not tactics and that’s almost a worse combination for us going forward than only a little of each. 

On the disallowed goal - I saw it was an MLS ref on VAR duty tonight and thought "I'm sure he'll find a way to screw us over with misuse of VAR tonight", can't say I'm surprised lmao. People will disagree with me but I've always thought that very minuscule offsides in the build up to a play (that aren't caught right away) isn't really what the "spirit" of the rule is for. Think of the NHL where we're now seeing goals disallowed because a player's skate was a millimeter high when he crossed the blue line, the play goes on for a minute before the goal is scored, and finally after 5 minutes of reviewing it the goal gets disallowed. It's not why the rule is there. I feel like I can explain it a bit better but I'm too lazy. Anyways I have to see another replay of that goal but it's obviously not "clear and obvious" if it takes that long to look at it.

Like everyone is saying, there are definitely some players who have tons of talent but there seemed to be no cohesion at all. Habibullah is crazy good for being the youngest(?) player there but at times he held on to the ball way too long. I think it was near the end where he had Rea open on the wing but just kept ignoring him and everyone else. Nelson wasn't as guilty of doing this as some people are saying imo.

7 hours ago, Bdog said:

On the disallowed goal - I saw it was an MLS ref on VAR duty tonight and thought "I'm sure he'll find a way to screw us over with misuse of VAR tonight", can't say I'm surprised lmao. People will disagree with me but I've always thought that very minuscule offsides in the build up to a play (that aren't caught right away) isn't really what the "spirit" of the rule is for. Think of the NHL where we're now seeing goals disallowed because a player's skate was a millimeter high when he crossed the blue line, the play goes on for a minute before the goal is scored, and finally after 5 minutes of reviewing it the goal gets disallowed. It's not why the rule is there. I feel like I can explain it a bit better but I'm too lazy. Anyways I have to see another replay of that goal but it's obviously not "clear and obvious" if it takes that long to look at it.

Like everyone is saying, there are definitely some players who have tons of talent but there seemed to be no cohesion at all. Habibullah is crazy good for being the youngest(?) player there but at times he held on to the ball way too long. I think it was near the end where he had Rea open on the wing but just kept ignoring him and everyone else. Nelson wasn't as guilty of doing this as some people are saying imo.

That one stood out for me as well.  Guy wide open on the wing, and he just dribbles into a group of 4 or 5 guys in the middle.  Rea went from moving into space, to looking frustrated, to basically giving up and walking away.  Must be annoying as a teammate.