U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

Gian-Luca

unfortunate own goal from Franklin. He was playing fine imo.

It was a rough first 15 minutes, but Canada starters to settle into the game

The 2 right sided defenders are playing well. Kouadio playing solid in net. Priso and Kerr also have good moments. Even Pecile who I'm not really high on is playing decent.

Nelson has been a disappointment so far though. Turning over the ball a lot, too much ball hogging.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Halftime - Brazil leads 2-0.

Thought the 2nd Brazil goal was offside.

And right after that Canada had a decent shout for a penalty.

Nope, there was a defender at the back that kept him just on. I hate to say it, but Brazil's 2 goals were totally legit.

I am actually covering the entire U17 World Cup on Twitter, as I've watched every U17 qualifier leading up to this. So I know a fair amount about Canada even though they aren't my national team.

Kouadio has made tons of stops, while Jayden Nelson proved he's not just an attacking force. Not beating his opposing defenders much but showing tons of work rate and doing well defensively.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, Stryker911 said:

Canada got a pretty solid draw by the looks of it. Obviously I have no idea about other countries 16 years olds, but we should be able to take on Angola and New Zealand. If we finish runners up we then likely will play South Korea or Chili.

I would also imagine there is a ton of scouts at this tournament. Just with our recent increase in good young players. Scouts may give us more than just a quick look. Would be awesome if so e of these guys can go try another club....rather than just 3 MLS clubs.

Angola are better than you, they have a very good side this year with players like Capita and Zito Luvumbo. The latter has actually trialed at Manchester United.

Will be nice if Canada prove me wrong but from what I've seen, Angola is the 2nd best team in this group.

Rowe with the goal.

The subs should start the next match. Rowe and Habibullah in particular should've been starting in the first place. Disagree with the Kane and Catavolo starts. Rea looked lively coming on as well.

The 2 left sided defenders Goulbourne and Demian struggled in this match sadly. All the best attacks came at them.

Midfield did okay. Had it's moments.

The big positives for me:

Goalkeeper made multiple solid saves.
Facchineri looked solid
Rowe and Kerr looked good.
Habibullah, Whitecaps have a good player in their hands. Thought was great coming on.

Biggest disappointment was Nelson though. Did a better job defending than attacking today. He has the skill, but the IQ looks slightly behind compared to the other attackers we have. Too selfish and wrong choices. Showed this with tfc2. Yes yes, I know he's young. But compared to the other players like Habib, he did look lacking in that department.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Wow crappy attendance for opening game with host nation.

Crowd was late arriving - was still coming at 30 mins.

On the pitch, it was as expected. Keeping it to a 3 goal differential keeps advancng as third place team alive. Brasil played like experienced pros that they are. Canada looked like kids which some people on this thread wanted anyway.

But compared to previous Canadan youth teams, there was at least moments of good individual skill and the team largely kept its shape. Compared to the qualifying matches, the defense was better organized and they have learned how to set up a proper wall. 

On the negative side, we gave up 4 goals and could have given up 8. On the positive side we scored a goal and could have had 3.

We were largely dominated but there were still positives to take away. Some good moments by Canada. I thought Facineri was good. The keeper had several outstanding saves. I didn’t think Nelson was bad unlike others on here, I just thought he was isolated. Rea off the bench was really good. Rowe got into good positions, his touch let him down a couple times but he stuck with it and got a goal and had a nice little layoff to Rea to almost set up another. Habibula and Kane both showed some flashes I thought.

Apologies for any incorrectly spelled names!

Edited by Kent

This was always going to be a tough match. Our left and right backs really struggled, Franklin unfortunately scored one for Brazil and assisted on another either side of half time. I'm not sure Nelson was being utilized effectively in this formation.

On the plus side, some very promising players out there for us.

Knowing what we already knew and listening to Wileman & Caldwell talk about the players background today, we know why it's all MLS academy players.

Basically, the CSA & MLS academy are tight. The academy coaches are their eyes and ears everyday. I believe 2 of the coaches (including Dunfield) are with the team in Brasil.

So, the CSA knows the good, bad & ugly about these players. And given their resource constraints, it is a simplified way to scout. For example, Kerr wasn't on the qualifying team. But Wileman mentioned he joined TFC only a year ago and Vanney told him that he has improved greatly and is the most intelligent player amongst his peers. There is no way the CSA would have learned all this and trusted the player enough to change their mind and select him now.

For players in non-MLS academies, they are maybe at best only seen by the CSA a few times. So, unless you're a David type player, you're not going to be picked - you don't have the reps, enough film and a CSA trusted academy coach in your corner.

Maybe with the CPL, the non-MLS youth player pool will expand. Though, none of these u17 players would be starting for a CPL team today. One or two maybe could make the bench but given the limited playing time, it's probably better for them to be at a MLS academy.

Edited by red card

15 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Rowe with the goal.

The subs should start the next match. Rowe and Habibullah in particular should've been starting in the first place. Disagree with the Kane and Catavolo starts. Rea looked lively coming on as well.

Biggest disappointment was Nelson though. Did a better job defending than attacking today. He has the skill, but the IQ looks slightly behind compared to the other attackers we have. Too selfish and wrong choices. Showed this with tfc2. Yes yes, I know he's young. But compared to the other players like Habib, he did look lacking in that department.

I'm pretty sure Olivieri played a diminished squad for this first game.  No other reason to sit Habibullah and Rowe unless he is resting them for Angola.  I think he'll want to ensure he has his first choice squad for that game.

I think the reason you are disappointed with Nelson is because Brazil scouted Canada pretty well and he would always have two or three on him.  Without other guys like Habibullah out there who also would've been scouted pretty heavily, Brazil knew to concentrate on Nelson.  He looked like he was labouring pretty bad when he got subbed.  Hopefully he'll be good to go on Tuesday.

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I'm pretty sure Olivieri played a diminished squad for this first game.  No other reason to sit Habibullah and Rowe unless he is resting them for Angola.  I think he'll want to ensure he has his first choice squad for that game.

I think the reason you are disappointed with Nelson is because Brazil scouted Canada pretty well and he would always have two or three on him.  Without other guys like Habibullah out there who also would've been scouted pretty heavily, Brazil knew to concentrate on Nelson.  He looked like he was labouring pretty bad when he got subbed.  Hopefully he'll be good to go on Tuesday.

I don't think the marking was the problem. I think it's his IQ that's the problem. He has the talent, but boy does he ball hog more than his teammates. He doesn't use his skills  at proper times. He tries to over do it and makes it easy for the defender.

I only saw the first half but I thought they played fairly well. They had a good amount of possession but just couldn't create anything when they got close to the opponents box.

I liked how strong Gianfranco Facchineri looked in the back.

Jayden Nelson looked like he should be playing with Brazil with his quality possession, but just couldn't create a quality chance.

Matthew Catavolo looked dangerous starting attacks but would never pass to open players completely ending any chance they had.

I don't see the replay available in the "Games on Demand" section of TSN. Anybody know where the replay can be viewed? 

Pass mapping show Deandre Kerr was more in the right spot up the pitch when receiving passes and therefore also helped him get the highest xGChain. Pecile & Catavolo were best at connecting with Kerr. So Vanney saying Kerr has a high football iQ played out in this match. 

Goulbourne had most passes & most carry forward which helped Nelson get a lot of the ball. Franklin was most involved with most others. Franklin & Nelson also pushed the ball forward most often. Not much connection through the middle which left Kane isolated.

No surprise that Brasil was much more connected all over the pitch. Central backs much more connected than Canada's. Cabral & Peglow more involved as central mid connections. Own goal likely led to xG being closer than scoreline: 2.19 vs 0.63. 

Edited by red card