U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

Gian-Luca

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

That VAR call back was disgusting. It can’t be clear and obvious if it takes four minutes and you don’t have an angle from along the line

4 minutes to decide a call is not what soccer is all about.  One already have an official and an assistant on the field who for centuries have made calls is sufficient for me.  Maybe the idiots at the Var shack were off for coffee.

1.Everything I have read and seen from JH points to someone that is super organized, methodical and strategic. Olivieri appears to be the polar opposite. If the tactical systems are the same for all Canada teams it is not evident with our U17s or U20s.

2. Our youth players for the most part are good technically but tactically naive. I don't know enough about the 3 MLS academies but  this aspect should be developed at that level and further enhanced by our national youth coaches.

3.If our youth players don't operate within a  system and develop the tactical side of their game they will default to what they do best...rely on their individual skills ....see Jayden and Kamron. It does not matter which players we select; the results will be the same.

4. It's great that we have a pathway and LTPD but 2026 is not far away and if any of these players are going to be a part of that team we need to take our youth teams seriously.

I do feel bad for the players they gave everything yesterday and deserved better. We need an upgrade to the coaching staff.

Vanney said the Canadian players need to be more challenged more - which the u17 provides. That tell me, the Canadian MLS academy teams aren't delivering the adequate training environment. It creates the big fish in the little pond scenario.

This is similar to Americans complaining MLS makes senior American national team players too complacent. Canadians are second-class citizens in the MLS, so all that scratching and clawing to get playing time means they worked hard to get there.

So, the CSA does need to look beyond MLS and into Europe and other Canadian academies. 

My crystal ball gazing for this group is that Habibullah is the next Borges. The MLS isn't kind to this type of player unless he starts scoring more. We haven't really had a Nelson type player before. Hopefully, he doesn't fall into the trap on relying on his paciness which gets neutralized as he ages.

Russell-Rowe is the next Jordan Hamilton. Scorer but often disappears for stretches. For all the smallish midfield & fullback players, the MLS is too brutish for them. They'll need to look at the CPL. 

Canadian back lines tend to have the most mature players for their age group but this gets neutralized as they age. Only one of them is a physical specimen that MLS favours, so they'll have to look at the CPL or become defensive mids.

On a positive note at least our CONCACAF rivals are having an equally bad tournament. US just got crushed by Netherlands 4-0 and finish with 1 point and -7, Haiti ends up with 0 points and Mexico only has 1 point in their first 2 games.

Also as nice as a win would have been, it looksike we would have had to win by 4 or 5 last night to move on.

1 hour ago, Footballanalytic said:

Now that the tournament is over what are the takes on every player and which ones have a chance at making the senior team.

The players that stood out for me were Facchineri, Franklin, Kerr, Rea, Habibullah, Russell-Rowe and Nelson.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Close to the same for me but I was more impressed with Pecile and Priso than Franklin.

Franklin made a couple horrific mistakes against Brazil, but in between those mistakes, I thought he showed a lot of promise.  Also he's a 2003 so a year younger (as is Habibullah).

3 hours ago, gigi riva said:

we need to look further than the three MLS academies  for starters. hopefully some of these players will get  loaned out to CpL teams down the road

I agree the CSA should be looking everywhere, but the idea of of a bunch of 17 year olds going to the CPL I’m very uneasy about it. If they are good enough yes but that’s the question.  The CPL should be trying to get players that are the highest standard possible  within that salary cap.  We should want a tier 1 league not a  development  League. 

On 11/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, Stryker911 said:

On a positive note at least our CONCACAF rivals are having an equally bad tournament. US just got crushed by Netherlands 4-0 and finish with 1 point and -7, Haiti ends up with 0 points and Mexico only has 1 point in their first 2 games.

Also as nice as a win would have been, it looksike we would have had to win by 4 or 5 last night to move on.

Mexico was lucky to be in the same group as the Solomon Islands; all of CONCACAF was terrible. Let's see what they do vs Japan.

7 hours ago, Footballanalytic said:

Now that the tournament is over what are the takes on every player and which ones have a chance at making the senior team.

In terms of talent, I say these players.

Rowe, Kerr, Nelson, Habibullah, Rea, Priso, and Facchineri

Some of these players need to work on tactical side of things however. If they can't figure that part out, forget about it. Only a couple of players in the list provided has shown some kind of tactical maturity.

43 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

In terms of talent, I say these players.

Rowe, Kerr, Nelson, Habibullah, Rea, Priso, and Facchineri

Some of these players need to work on tactical side of things however. If they can't figure that part out, forget about it. Only a couple of players in the list provided has shown some kind of tactical maturity.

Wouldn't they need to prove themselves first at the national U20 level.

On 11/3/2019 at 8:09 AM, Footballanalytic said:

I don't like to crap on kids, but I only see Nelson and Habibullah.  Even then they both need a significant amount of work.

Kind of sad to see..I cant say I knew much about these kids, but Nelsen, Habs and Rowe have good pedigrees.  I was hoping for more, with all the talk of our youth being better etc.  But I looked back on the 2013 u-17 WC roster, We only have Hamilton who has really gone anywhere...Boustous, Froese, Carducci..maybe still time??  Previsouly in 2011 Crepeau, Piette, Chapman, Petrasso have done decently after their U-17 cup.  So maybe expecting more than 1-2 of these kids to get to a CMNT level is just pie in the sky on my part.  

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

I don't like to crap on kids, but I only see Nelson and Habibullah.  Even then they both need a significant amount of work.

I only saw one complete game and parts of the other two, but I would agree with this based on what I saw.  Anything can happen if a player is exposed to the right kind of training environment and competition (come on CPL!) but it is hard to ID more than one or two guys who might play at the senior level considering how we crashed out of the tournament against a couple of teams that were beatable.   

When you think about it, a senior national team typically has players in the age range of about 18 to 35, give or take a couple years on either side of that. That's a 17 year span, or put another way, 8 different U-17 World Cup cycles. So if the distribution of players was completely even by age, and even if 100% of senior team players had previously repped the country at the U17 level, that still makes just under 3 players per cycle on a 23 man roster.

From our game against the USA we had...

Former U17 players: Samuel Piette, Alphonso Davies (only friendlies), Jonathan David, Maxime Crepeau, Russell Teibert.

Guys that didn't play for the Canadian U17 team: Milan Borjan, Richie Laryea, Steven Vitoria, Derek Cornelius, Kamal Miller, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Scott Arfield, Jonathan Osorio, Jayson Leutwiler, Sam Adekugbe, Amer Didic, Juan Cordova, Liam Millar, Liam Fraser, Stephen Eustaquio, Junior Hoilett, Lucas Cavallini.

So 5 U17 vets, and 17 that didn't play U17.

Below is a partial list of players in our current player pool based on eligibility by age for the last five U20 cycles. I'm not taking into account if they actually played for the U17 or U20s only if they were eligible.

I was curious to see if there was a pattern here. So far it's a pretty even spread.

Interestingly no attacking players from the 97/98 pool so far.

91/92
Jonathan Osorio
Lucas Cavallini
Russell Teibert
Tesho Akindele

93/94
Doneil Henry
Maxime Crepeau
Anthony Jackson-Hamel
Manjrekar James
Mark-Anthony Kaye
Samue Piette

95/96
Richie Laryea
Juan Cordova
Sam Adekugbe
Cyle Larin
Marco Carducci
Stephen Eustaquio

97/98
Kamal Miller
Derek Cornelius
Marcus Godhino
Zachary Brault-Guillard
Liam Fraser

99/00
Alphonso Davies
Jonathan David
Liam Millar
Ballou Tabla

A couple of those guys must have played for other countries U-17, and some recent call ups Edgar, Straith, Tabla were u-17 but its a eye opening number.  Well...... is it the wrong kids are going or is it just a blanky blank crap shoot at that age to try and project who will be the stars??  Its amazing to flip through the rosters and see all those kids who just faded away.  I guess we will be lucky if 2 of this group do rise to the national team, and the weird thing is it might not be the 2 we think it will be, HAHA.  

13 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Honestly if you think about it there’s so many better options for youth level. Maybe I’m harsh on olivieri but I’m not convinced at all by him. Honestly we should have someone like Martin Nash who had success at PDL and CPL level. Bernier, Dasovic and Isacco all also come to mind

In fairness, Dasovic had a run as U20 and U23 coach and couldn't qualify us for either youth WCs or Olympics.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:10 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

I didn't see it mentioned but did anyone know Ante Jazic was assistant coach on the US u17 team?  What happened with him and the CSA?

Not sure if there was any falling out. Jazic moved to Arkansas in 2016 and is the technical director of a NPSL club in Little Rock.

http://www.littlerockrangers.com/jazic-takes-official-role