U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Spero14 said:

Anyone with better knowledge of the team than me have an idea who the key players for Canada will be at this tournament? I've seen/read good things about Kamron Habibullah and he seems pretty talented, but I don't know too much about the others.

The potential attacking stars are Jayden Nelson & Kamron Habibullah.  Jacen Russell-Rowe has also shown promise during qualifying and with TFC academy.

I liked how Keesean Ferdinand looked going forward during qualifying but looked a bit suspect defending. Emiliano Brienza is a new add - came from Mexico to Canada quite recently - so interested in seeing how he plays. 

Canada got a pretty solid draw by the looks of it. Obviously I have no idea about other countries 16 years olds, but we should be able to take on Angola and New Zealand. If we finish runners up we then likely will play South Korea or Chili.

I would also imagine there is a ton of scouts at this tournament. Just with our recent increase in good young players. Scouts may give us more than just a quick look. Would be awesome if so e of these guys can go try another club....rather than just 3 MLS clubs.

6 hours ago, Spero14 said:

Anyone with better knowledge of the team than me have an idea who the key players for Canada will be at this tournament? I've seen/read good things about Kamron Habibullah and he seems pretty talented, but I don't know too much about the others.

Attack wise, is pretty good. Habibullah, Nelson, Rutty, and Rowe should all be considered starters and are also seen as stars.

Priso is another one for me though. I really like his style of play. Played very well with tfc2. I think he gets overlooked at times when people talk about Canada's biggest potential players.

Going into this tournament I'd like everyone to remember that these are just kids so please do not overreact if things go badly.  I say this because a few years ago, the U17 team was eliminated from qualifying in Panama and some of the vitriol that came out on this board was downright disturbing.  They're still kids and kids will make mistakes.  I certainly did playing sports at that age.

There's a good chance that players and their families will read this thread so ask yourself whether cutting down some kid on the internet is really necessary.

Exactly remember these are still kids.

I’m pretty excited by this group though.  I think they have the talent to make it out of the group.  If we make it to the knockout round then this could be another turning point for our program.  

Also there is undoubtedly a number of scouts watching these games and our boys can get some great exposure similar to how our U20’s did in the Toulon Tournament a few years ago.  That teams success propelled quite a few careers forward.  

1 minute ago, baulderdash77 said:

Exactly remember these are still kids.

I’m pretty excited by this group though.  I think they have the talent to make it out of the group.  If we make it to the knockout round then this could be another turning point for our program.  

Also there is undoubtedly a number of scouts watching these games and our boys can get some great exposure similar to how our U20’s did in the Toulon Tournament a few years ago.  That teams success propelled quite a few careers forward.  

Especially against Brazil. Look at almost every league in the world and I'll bet there is at least 1 Brazilian so you would think a lot of scouts from everywhere would be watching them 

These are also players playing on a national team and aligned with pro academy set ups. If they can't handle valid critiques on how they played, then they're not ready to take the next steps in their development.

On the other hand, most of them will never be capped for the senior national team. So, I'm not going to be overly excited or overly down on any player. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

****** that this game overlaps with the CPL final, which overlaps with the replay of Bayern giving Davies his first full game. 

Had the same issue last week, I’m done work at 3 so I’ll have to spend the rest of my day watching sports. Unlike last week it sounds like I also can’t skip through most of the Bayern game :)

It's weird to actually have multiple soccer games with Canadians that we want to watch. No more sitting wondering when our players are going to sign contracts. Instead our stars' are playing 90 for Bayern, and we have a Canadian league final with many quality Canadians where only one player has been good enough to be called up. Is this what it is like to have depth? Add the U17s and there is Canadian soccer everywhere.

Even just a couple years ago I was watching MLS hoping Davies would get subbed in so there would be a Canadian to watch on the weekend. Either that or I was watching FC Edmonton and cheering for Shamit Shome because he was the only Canadian on the pitch.

22 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

we should be able to take on Angola and New Zealand.

Angola lost narrowly to Ecuador in a friendly http://www.primicias.ec/noticias/jugada/seleccion-ecuador-angola-amistoso-sub17-previo-mundial-brasil/

They also played a club side as a warm up.

http://www.jornaldeangola.sapo.ao/desporto/seleccao-sub-17-testa-com-o-vila-nova-fc

Remember those boys from Angola are in another Portuguese speaking country that has a warm and humid climate. It is likely that psychologically they feel more comfortable and confident than our boys. Expect Angola to win. Perhaps even win big.

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

Wow crappy attendance for opening game with host nation.

The attendance at the Copa America this year wasn't great either. I'm pretty sure the attendance at the club level in Brazil is also declining. The people who want to attend these games don't have the money to do so