U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

Gian-Luca

With a win tomorrow Canada is actually looking good to move on as one of the third place teams. If we win by 1 goal here is the scenarios that we move on. 

Group B, neither Australia or Hungary can win their match. We will know this result prior to our game. Not unrealistic

Group C, Haiti lose against France and then Chili/South Korea would need to crush the other. Kind of unlikely.

Group D, US plays Netherlands. US can't win, a tie works or Netherlands not winning by much more than us. Good chance.

Group E. Spain and Argentina should win big, which would leave Tajikistan at 3 points and large negative goal difference. Should happen.

Group F. Solomon islands would need to beat or tie Mexico. Not happening.

So to summarize of the 5 other groups. We should finish ahead of 1 of them for sure, 2 we will be close with,  1 we probably won't, and 1 we almost for sure won't.... With that being said we probably lose to New Zealand and I wasted my time looking at this. 

Edited by Stryker911

On 10/30/2019 at 4:23 PM, gardencity said:

we were much slower than Angola. the kid on their right side up front had a free pass all night into our box, 

That "kid" for Angola (Zito) looks pretty damn good and even though he's only 17, already has 2 full senior Angola national team caps! 

I don't think the kiwi's have anyone on that level, so hopefully that'll help us pull out a win!

Here's a short and simple tactical analysis of the Angola match:

1921690514_Screengrab1.png.8e3f89f3e87a9976796c47613f557179.png

There were some frustratingly simple solutions to the issues that we faced on Tuesday. The above image is the screengrab that @El Hombre posted on Wednesday. We are just one run and three passes away from bypassing the tightly wound Angola midfield four. If Priso comes back towards Pecile, and Pecile makes the pass to Priso, Priso has Habibullah completely unmarked on the left side. Habibullah then plays it through to Kerr, and we've completely gone past their midfield and we're running at their back four. Instead, Priso is going in the opposite direction, eliminating a passing option. Unfortunately, our front three and midfielders such as Priso and Kerr didn't make the runs that provided Pecile or the CBs with simple outlet passes. Rather, this meant that the deeper lying playmakers were forced to pass it around the back or play a low percentage lob forward. We need to emphasize the importance of movement which will make it much easier to play through the opposition lines. However, there were some very good moments.

1844368898_Screengrab2.jpg.363dfd0aa0bea32e2b9ab2edf04164be.jpg

In this screengrab of the moment before the goal, Priso puts himself in an open space that makes him an easy target for Pecile, while also being in the perfect position to play the through ball for Russell-Rowe. Throughout both games so far, there hasn't been enough movement from players in forward positions, making it difficult to progress the ball. Against Angola in particular, there were many instances where useful open spaces were not being utilized. Today against New Zealand, we must find and exploit these spaces if we are going to score the goals that we need. To summarize, make it easier on the 6's and 8's by giving them simpler options and find the open spaces. 

Disagree that we’ve been the better team. Better individual skills maybe, but better TEAM, no. Some nice dribbles and some nice runs, but too much individual play and too little team awareness. Execution and choice of passes, quick recognition of teammate runs, midfielders providing good outlets all need to be better. IMO

10 minutes ago, shorty said:

Disagree that we’ve been the better team. 

The two missed chances by Nelson and Habibullah were two of the best of the half so far.  (with the Kiwi's having one other good chance other than the goal)

No doubt the finished product isn't there, but we've carried most of the play and had over 60% possession. 

Edited by Acid-Tone

Oh, I would definitely agree that we’ve had the better chances as well and more possession is just a fact. I’m more tired with Steve Caldwell gushing over Nelson, when all I see is a (really talented) guy determined to beat five men rather than use a quick outlet pass. With our skill and speed it’s criminal that we haven’t created more chances busting forward than we have. I’m also unsure where to lay blame for the three or four brain farts at the back: with the back line trying to play out when they shouldn’t or with the midfield not showing and giving them short out options. I’m trying not to be cranky, honestly. I suppose it’s an indication of my higher expectations now that I’m not satisfied with 67% possession and looking threatening. The talent is clearly there but isn’t working together well enough. We should be winning this game.