U17 World Cup 2019 in Brazil

Gian-Luca

Interesting group.  Angola finished third in qualifying but the whole tournament was marred by second place Guinea fielding two overage players with falsified documents.  Angola beat Nigeria in the third place game and also had the tournament's golden boot winner.

New Zealand is interesting because they hammered Vanuatu 8-0 and then three days later lost 5-0 to the Solomon Islands and then squeaked out a 4-3 victory over Papua New Guinea.  Plus that tournament will have taken place almost 14 months prior to the World Cup, so no idea what can be drawn from that.

1 hour ago, aloyol said:

It's always difficult to judge the quality of U17 teams but if this was the real WC, I would be pretty happy with this group. I would expect us to be able to be competitive with Angola and New Zealand.

African teams are usually dominant at this age group.  Angola will be very tough.  Although we played well against an African team last time around.  Can't remember which nation we played though.

57 minutes ago, Ivan said:

African teams are usually dominant at this age group.  Angola will be very tough.  Although we played well against an African team last time around.  Can't remember which nation we played though.

We tied Austria and Iran in 2013 (last time we qualified). In 2011, we tied England and Rwanda (a win against Rwanda would've seen us through to the 1/16 round).

10 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Plus that tournament will have taken place almost 14 months prior to the World Cup, so no idea what can be drawn from that.

Thats the problem with these tournaments.  How old were these kids when they held the qualifying tournament?  In one year, at those age levels,  a lot can change.  For example, many kids who were unknown or off radar entirely (from national teams) during the qualifying tournament may suddenly emerge and gain prominence.  So it wouldnt be unreasonable that teams show up at the U17 WC with totally different squads from what they qualified with.  So what does that ultimate say about the value of the qualifying process?

another big issue that i have with these events at this age level is:  How the hell are you supposed to evaluate players properly for national team selection?  Realistically  I see it as impossible to do properly.  There just isnt information or metrics (public) for comparaison (ie.: an extensive competition system where they all belong to).  A couple camps do not suffice because the sample size is too small or narrow.  Canada is too large of a country so there is no way from one or two evaluation camps that a coach could say with a straight face that little Johnnie from Nova Scotia is better or more deserving of that spot at right back than Paul from Winnipeg.  So inevitably they will resort to “politically correct” motivated selection criteria such as:  make sure that there are an equal amount players from each of the MLS academies,  make sure that there is regional balance (eg.:  a couple of players from province A, then province B,  then region C....etc).  

Once you have even slightly to resorted to “Politically correct motivation” in the selection,  you have discarded the notion of “Merit”, and next comes resentment and low morale.    Merit is a key to what makes organized sports what it is.  

Dont know why FIFA doesnt change the age for this world cup.  Would a U19 or maybe a U18 make a little more sence?   Maybe a U21 and a U19.  Or just a U20 by itself. 

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder if we’ll see Theodor Corbeanu, Luke Singh , Nikolas White and others switch to Canada for the U17 World Cup. I hope they recruiting hard! 

Is there any chance of that happening or are we just hoping?  All 3 seem pretty involved in their current respective international youth programs.  I am just hoping we dont lose the Habiboula brothers.  

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder if we’ll see Theodor Corbeanu, Luke Singh , Nikolas White and others switch to Canada for the U17 World Cup. I hope they recruiting hard! 

Unfortunately both Singh and White are too old for this tournament. The two big potential commitments would be Lucas Dias (Sporting CP) and Marcelo Flores (Arsenal).

30 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Unfortunately both Singh and White are too old for this tournament. The two big potential commitments would be Lucas Dias (Sporting CP) and Marcelo Flores (Arsenal).

Oh yes I forgot about those two. It would be amazing if all of them switched, that would be epic statement to make. Are you sure , it says on Wikipedia Players born on or after 1 January 2002 and on or before 31 December 2004 are eligible to compete in the tournament.

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Oh yes I forgot about those two. It would be amazing if all of them switched, that would be epic statement to make. Are you sure , it says on Wikipedia Players born on or after 1 January 2002 and on or before 31 December 2004 are eligible to compete in the tournament.

Singh is 2000 born and White is 2001, so they're both ineligible. But yes, our attack could be legitimately world class for the U17 level if we got those commitments.

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

No European based players once again ! 

All talent stocked on three teams, apparently (with two exceptions). I'm usually not one to criticise too much, but this really is a joke...

Edited by BCM

On 7/12/2019 at 5:58 AM, SpecialK said:

And does anyone know what the reason why these boys aren’t playing for Canada is?

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Other than those 3, Dias and Flores, is there anyone else in Europe?  I see the Feyenoord kid was left off the training camp roster.

Was the Feyenoord kid at the qualifying? If it's the one in thinking of, I thought he was but of a letdown 

I think there is an advantage of all the players being so familiar with each other