The Road to Qatar.

Binky

46 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Guatemala's downfall was only beating the British Virgins 3-0, which is the joint-lowest margin of victory any team in the group had over them (tied with St. Vincent who got pummeled by everyone else in the group). If they had won that game 4-0 they would ultimately have qualified - although you would have to figure that Curacao wouldn't have played for a draw in the final game if that had been the case.

I despise Guatemala just like I do nearly ever other Concacaf non-minnow so I am not exactly in tears over what has happened to them, but it's an example of why this WCQ format is garbage since it relies on which teams can pummel the minnows the most (although not even that is true technically since they had the same goal differential). I still feel the minnows should be playing each other and the winner of those groups then advance to play against the bigger teams. Otherwise you get a situation like this where a team is told "Well done - you are undefeated, won 75% of your matches, scored 14 goals and allowed none - now get the fuck out of here!"

I really don't think you can play with hypotheticals like this

Maybe Curacao plays differently if they have to win.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Guatemala's downfall was only beating the British Virgins 3-0, which is the joint-lowest margin of victory any team in the group had over them (tied with St. Vincent who got pummeled by everyone else in the group). If they had won that game 4-0 they would ultimately have qualified - although you would have to figure that Curacao wouldn't have played for a draw in the final game if that had been the case.

I despise Guatemala just like I do nearly ever other Concacaf non-minnow so I am not exactly in tears over what has happened to them, but it's an example of why this WCQ format is garbage since it relies on which teams can pummel the minnows the most (although not even that is true technically since they had the same goal differential). I still feel the minnows should be playing each other and the winner of those groups then advance to play against the bigger teams. Otherwise you get a situation like this where a team is told "Well done - you are undefeated, won 75% of your matches, scored 14 goals and allowed none - now get the fuck out of here!"

And yet it’s still 1000x better than the original plan for qualifying.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I thought Guatemala looked good. Look this whole cycle is a big it is what it is. What more can you say. Excited to see them in the Gold Cup

Very tough to play away there!

Galindo and Nef good conversation on the national team as always

1:10 – The Davies-David connection reconnects!

6:03 – Thoughts on the 3-5-2

14:22 – What to make of Scott Kennedy's debut

23:26 – Takeaways from Canada 7-0 Aruba

29:00 – Previewing second round vs. Haiti

40:18 – Answering more of your questions (Akinola, Singh, Heward-Belle, venues for the Ocho, etc.)

13 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I would love to see SKN & Curacao go through, eliminating 2 Central American teams in the process.  Less concacafing in the Ocho and playing in those crappy away games!.

This is my thinking too.

Looking at the Octagonal schedule this also sets up a final match day away trip to Curacao in March 2022

14 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I would love to see SKN & Curacao go through, eliminating 2 Central American teams in the process.  Less concacafing in the Ocho and playing in those crappy away games!.

Curacao going against Panama I don't give them much of a chance against Panama and Panama just qualified for Russia in 2018 you do realize that right? St Kitts going up against El Salvador...I mean it would be an upset if they went through but seeing El Salvador's quality I can't see St Kitts getting the job done.

I think Curacao can beat Panama.

Everybody was talking up Suriname but Curacao may be the real deal in terms of Caribbean nations with Dutch heritage. And their squad has been together longer.

St. Kitts beating El Salvador would be a massive upset. Even though I really hope it happens.

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Everybody was talking up Suriname but Curacao may be the real deal in terms of Caribbean nations with Dutch heritage. And their squad has been together longer.

St. Kitts beating El Salvador would be a massive upset. Even though I really hope it happens.

Yeah they definitely can beat them. They’re already ranked higher in fifa rankings and are ascending. Not sure I’d say the same for Panama.

17 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Agreed. That's why I find the complaints in Europe about having a Malta or Liechtenstein or Andorra in your qualifying group so absurd. Big whoop. Imagine if a middling team (like Sweden? Or maybe we're more like Hungary or Norway or Slovakia?) had to play in group rounds with two or three other minnows just to have the chance to play another middling team to make the group stage of qualifying. It would be deemed insane and unfair. It would be a disaster.

I don't like complaining about our circumstances because we've shown that we can waste good circumstances and I don't think we're good enough to warrant special treatment. And it's true - if you can't get out of these groups you don't deserve to move on.

But this format does nothing but result in blowouts and goal difference qualifying on the back of totally random ref calls, minor slip ups, or a bad wind, or your opponents ringers didn't show, or really anything that can affect whether you beat a team by 5 rather than by 6 or by 7 or by 8.

Edited by The Real Marc

Curacao remind me of Canada teams of the past. They have a good team on paper (though not as good as Suriname's) but no real attacking stars and struggle to score. 

St. Kitts beating El Salvador would be a massive upset but they do have the best player between both sides with Romaine Sawyer. 

Can Curacao beat Panama? Absolutely. Will they beat Panama? I am not convinced. 

For as much as Panama have supposedly regressed, let's keep in mind they know what it takes to qualify. There are still a few holdovers from the WC 2018 team. Playing away to Panama is never easy. 

For Curacao, we know they have Gus Hiddink and Patrick Kluivert running the show. We know about the Bacuna brothers and other Dutch players in the side, but I just wouldn't bet on them getting past Panama, even thought it would be good for the region for them to make the final 8. 

Also, for what it's worth, they have like 3 or 4 players suiting up for unattached FC at the moment. 

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, narduch said:

This is my thinking too.

Looking at the Octagonal schedule this also sets up a final match day away trip to Curacao in March 2022

I'm cheering for Curaçao as well in the C vs. D matchup with Panama. If we made the Octagonal and found ourselves within 3 points or 1 point of the intercontinental playoff spot on the final match day, I'd rather try and get that win or draw in Curaçao.

Edited by jtpc

• Admin locked this topic