The Road to Qatar.

Binky

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder if this is true.

I am not familiar with those guys but you have to think that anyone sitting on the fence would be swayed by the prospect of a high quality competition to see if you can get to the big show.  And let’s be honest, there are 1.5 spots legitimately up for grabs in our region that almost anyone in the Ocho that isn’t Mexico or US could take a run at. 

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder if this is true.

Not doubting the legitimacy of the report but I think it would be quite stupid for two Jong PSV players to give up on their chances for playing with the Netherlands already. Not to mention Bazoer was really good with Vitesse this season and probably has an outside shot for suiting up for the Netherlands again. 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Have we not learned anything from just handily smashing Suriname? 😂 let curaçao add these guys. We still win.

I'm still cheering for Panama.

I want Borjan back at the same hotel in Panama City:

we will meet up with @xabuep2 and party! 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I thought CR looked good against Mexico despite the loss, but the USA friendly broke the camels back, I guess.

If they're going to change manager, now is the time, so they can make the most of the Gold Cup. The Octagon is coming quickly.

Regardless of who comes in, I don't expect them to be clicking right away, and the Gold Cup may be a bit of a throw away for them.

That will really make Group C interesting...

Costa Rica (new coach)

Jamaica (will dual nationals play?)

Suriname (brand new Dutch team)

*probably* Guatemala (knocked out of WCQ after matching Curacao on GD and not conceding a single goal)

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm still cheering for Panama.

I want Borjan back at the same hotel in Panama City:

we will meet up with @xabuep2 and party! 

Coincidentally, the atmosphere is already heating up. Mostly because of mediocre journalists who are inciting people to annoy the Curacao national team "off the pitch". The positive is that due to the pandemic, I do not think that people can gather at the Hotel Le Meridien, which is on Avenida Balboa in the center of PTY. Antilleans will be able to sleep peacefully, as the curfew begins at 10 pm.

As for the game, I think it will be very close, but I am confident that Panama will advance, I saw Curacao unconvincing vs Guatemala.

Much has been made about Panama being in a downfall, but I don't buy it. 
They have 2 losses in the past two years, one was a blowout by USA, and the other 1-0 to Japan.
Along the way, they've been playing  games and having these narrow wins, but hey to me they're still winning games. 

So I looked further into the past 3 years to see where their loses have come from. Tunisia, Colombia, Uruguay, USAx3, Jamaica, Bermuda, Mexicox2, and Japan - the only "surprise" team is Bermuda. The rest I would've loved for Canada to play against...but we've had Iceland B as our biggest opponent.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

They have 2 losses in the past two years, one was a blowout by USA, and the other 1-0 to Japan.
Along the way, they've been playing  games and having these narrow wins, but hey to me they're still winning games. 

So I looked further into the past 3 years to see where their loses have come from. Tunisia, Colombia, Uruguay, USAx3, Jamaica, Bermuda, Mexicox2, and Japan - the only "surprise" team is Bermuda. The rest I would've loved for Canada to play against...but we've had Iceland B as our biggest opponent.

Iceland B is not a bigger opponent than the USA or Mexico..

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

Sept 2019 is technically fewer than 2 years ago so you have to count the Bermuda loss as within that time period.

+ On paper they looked very poor back in the March window of this year.

38 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

+ On paper they looked very poor back in the March window of this year.

On the field they weren’t convincing, but they won...

Can’t wait to watch all these matches on Saturday. I think this series will be the most contested one. But I got Panama over the two legs. 

For me, Panama, Honduras, and Costa Rica I am never going to think they have significantly regressed unless they start missing out on Gold Cup qualification, or maybe being relegated down to Nations League B. People can say the guys that have done it in the past are getting older, but all 3 of these countries have good pipelines so I expect new players will be able to step up when the old guard slows down/retires. They might have a little dip in form as they transition, but I think those dips will be temporary.

For as relatively poor as Panama has been, they still stayed up in Nations League A, and made it to the quarter finals in the last Gold Cup, and are now in the second round of World Cup qualifying. I think they will be fine, and I'm hoping Curacao is able to beat them because I'd rather Canada have to play in Curacao than in Panama if we are to make it to the final round of qualifying.

I wonder how much of it (with Panama and Costa Rica at least) is hanging on to veterans who have helped you make it to the “show” in recent times and being reticent to go with younger, unproved players. Look at our nervousness to be missing Arfield and Hutch and to give the car keys to the next generation — and we don’t even have recent national success.  Honduras is further along in this transition because it’s been longer since they were at a World Cup and they have moved on from Pavon, Costly, etc.  Panama and Costa Rica will move on from their vets soon enough and will continue to be dangerous. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Today's matches. All times ET.

image.png.7505706c18f14781d5ad9a5d47b2f8c9.png

Our tie is the hardest. 

All this confidence coming off Suriname, but we did not start well last match. 

Since the heat and humidity are going to hurt, we need to have a very good first half to be able to sub in and sit back in the second. If there are electrical storms or it rains it is better to be ahead already. 

I think we are going to get heat and water breaks, and that is going to be a little advantage, against a rather cynical game time from the Haitians.

• Admin locked this topic