The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

In the initial squad discussion on one soccer today they mentioned he could potentially be added for next round if we made it through. 

Dont see it though. Get him fit and rested and have him, even mayne Arfield in the gold cup squad.

If we get Hutch back for the Haiti games I'm happy 

Did Atiba announce he was leaving Besiktas or something or is it just turkish fans being turkish fans on twitter? If you search his name there's a ton of recent tweets.

Edited by scullion44
ah I see his contract is up this summer

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

They will probably be Suriname level cocky due to 2019 Gold Cup.

Probably 😛 gotta be an emotional match for Jonathan David, he’s proud of his heritage and even lived in Port-au-Prince. 

Also forgot ZBG is also of Haitian origin.

Edited by BigMo

2 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but Canada hosting 2 games and travelling to the US for a game the week of September long could well be the BEST week for Canada soccer fans in a very long time. Let's get the job done vs Haiti boys! 

This is going to be the year we slay all our old demons. We defeated the upstart Caribbean nation with ties to an old European country. Next up Hait. In September we take on Honduras.

7 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

anybody know if they're still using the away goals format for the second round?

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-fifa-world-cup-2022tm-preliminary-competition.pdf?cloudid=r6gcejmanhw27gzaa9xb

In the knockout format, both teams shall play one home and one away match
each, the sequence of which shall be determined by lots drawn by FIFA. The
team having scored most goals over the two games shall qualify for the next
round. If both teams score the same number of goals over the two matches,
the goals scored away shall be counted as double. If the same number of
goals is scored away or if both matches end without any goals being scored,
extra time of two periods of 15 minutes each shall be played at the end of the
second leg. The extra time is an integral part of the second-leg match. Thus, if
no goals are scored in extra time, kicks from the penalty mark shall be taken
to determine the winner, in accordance with the procedure described in the
Laws of the Game. If both teams score the same number of goals in extra time,
the visiting team is declared the winner on the basis of away goals counting
double.

I HATEHATEHATE that away goals in extra time are a tiebreaker, particularly when there are no fans. 

If we beat Haiti in the playoffs, then in September yeah we will get to the Octagonal and there is where the true competition begins...because in the Octo we face teams like the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica and Honduras. Playing against the top teams in CONCACAF like we should and what better way to prove that we belong at a FIFA World Cup.

7 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

It would have been nice if they had them each 2 hours apart, then I'd have a reason to sit on my couch for 6 hours straight!

I will be watching the Euros earlier that day too (starting at 8:30 am ET).

Edited by narduch

Home/away playoff predictions

Canada gets revenge and beats Haiti in the 2 leg playoffs to advance to the Octo

El Salvador beats St Kitts to advance to the Octo

Panama beats Curacao to advance to the Octo

Then your Octo looks like:

USA, Mexico, Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica, Canada, Panama and El Salvador

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Guatemala with the hard luck story of the first round. Undefeated, score 14 and don’t give up a single goal but are eliminated. Only in Concacaf can you get eliminated from WCQ with those kinds of stats. 

That is disappointing for them.

Switzerland in the 2006 World Cup didn't concede a goal at all and got knocked out in a shootout in the round of 16. New Zealand in the 2010 World Cup went undefeated and didn't make it out of the group stage (drew all 3 games). Neither of these teams scored nearly as much as Guatemala though.

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Why wouldn't they? It's been the standard for two-legged ties for 60+ years.

not everywhere. uefa just scrapped it for their european competitions and there are competitions all over the place that don't use it (english promotion playoffs, for example).

3 hours ago, sstackho said:

I HATEHATEHATE that away goals in extra time are a tiebreaker, particularly when there are no fans. 

100% agreed! i like the away goals format, but as soon as it hits extra time it should be scrapped. tbh, i think they should just go sudden-death for extra time, but a lot of soccer people love shootouts so much so....

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Guatemala with the hard luck story of the first round. Undefeated, score 14 and don’t give up a single goal but are eliminated. Only in Concacaf can you get eliminated from WCQ with those kinds of stats. 

Guatemalan fans must be in disbelief to get eliminated with a record like that.

If Curaçao had scored 1 fewer goal on Saturday against British Virgin Islands, defeating them 7-0 instead of 8-0, last night's 0-0 draw would have seen Guatemala through. Curaçao's 8th goal in that match? 90'+1.

31 minutes ago, jtpc said:

Guatemalan fans must be in disbelief to get eliminated with a record like that.

If Curaçao had scored 1 fewer goal on Saturday against British Virgin Islands, defeating them 7-0 instead of 8-0, last night's 0-0 draw would have seen Guatemala through. Curaçao's 8th goal in that match? 90'+1.

Guatemala's downfall was only beating the British Virgins 3-0, which is the joint-lowest margin of victory any team in the group had over them (tied with St. Vincent who got pummeled by everyone else in the group). If they had won that game 4-0 they would ultimately have qualified - although you would have to figure that Curacao wouldn't have played for a draw in the final game if that had been the case.

I despise Guatemala just like I do nearly ever other Concacaf non-minnow so I am not exactly in tears over what has happened to them, but it's an example of why this WCQ format is garbage since it relies on which teams can pummel the minnows the most (although not even that is true technically since they had the same goal differential). I still feel the minnows should be playing each other and the winner of those groups then advance to play against the bigger teams. Otherwise you get a situation like this where a team is told "Well done - you are undefeated, won 75% of your matches, scored 14 goals and allowed none - now get the fuck out of here!"

• Admin locked this topic