The Road to Qatar.

Binky

Honduras draws Mexico. I watched most of this and Honduras has looked quite strong recently - beating Costa Rica, losing a very close one to the US and now drawing Mexico. They won’t be an easy match in the octagonal.

also, Mexico’s attack continues to struggle a bit. In fairness they didn’t play their absolute best 11 but they still really miss Jimenez. Seems unlikely they would call chicharito back in but they could use him.

TSN.ca has  nothing on their landing pages about the game tonight - nary a word about the match but if I want to read about North Macedonia, then my content needs are fulfilled 

Sportsnet.ca has a link to a P Gallindo article but nothing on then landing page re the match tonight 

To be fair-cbcsports.ca has the match result prominently on the landing page 

so for those Twitter people that complain every match ….why are the games not broadcast on “ regular channels” the answer is academic IMO 

Called El Salvador winning last night and they did 4-0. Yeah El Salvador may as well have booked their passage into the Octagonal. Because now they play the 2nd leg back at home. They can beat St Kitts by any scoreline and they go through. 

El Salvador I don't think they have been to the Octagonal stage or what used to be the Hex, for years and they are all but set now to go back there.

I was expecting Curacao to lose to Panama but they do the unthinkable and beat Panama 2-1. Could Curacao do it? Can they eliminate Panama from World Cup qualifying in this 2nd leg? Panama was just at the last World Cup in 2018 in Russia

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Called El Salvador winning last night and they did 4-0. Yeah El Salvador may as well have booked their passage into the Octagonal. Because now they play the 2nd leg back at home. They can beat St Kitts by any scoreline and they go through. 

El Salvador I don't think they have been to the Octagonal stage or what used to be the Hex, for years and they are all but set now to go back there.

I was expecting Curacao to lose to Panama but they do the unthinkable and beat Panama 2-1. Could Curacao do it? Can they eliminate Panama from World Cup qualifying in this 2nd leg? Panama was just at the last World Cup in 2018 in Russia

You might want to check the Panama-Curaçao result again, you got it reversed.

Will say that away goal from the Curaçao makes the return leg interesting.

Apologies for rehashing this, but can someone clarify what we know (and don’t know) about the next round schedule.  I am seeing old tweets by the US that seem to show specific opponents for specific windows, but I also can’t find a set schedule for all of the Ocho games.  I am thinking the US schedule is outdated (I think it showed Ocho games in June) but I also remember people referencing specific away trips in specific windows if we get past Haiti.  Wondering if there are still a lot of unknowns or if the schedule and opponents are set - and they just need to plug in the winners from this round.   

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Apologies for rehashing this, but can someone clarify what we know (and don’t know) about the next round schedule.  I am seeing old tweets by the US that seem to show specific opponents for specific windows, but I also can’t find a set schedule for all of the Ocho games.  I am thinking the US schedule is outdated (I think it showed Ocho games in June) but I also remember people referencing specific away trips in specific windows if we get past Haiti.  Wondering if there are still a lot of unknowns or if the schedule and opponents are set - and they just need to plug in the winners from this round.   

It was part of the draw back in August.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Third_Round

matchdays were then shifted based on a new condensed schedule

https://www.concacaf.com/en/world-cup-qualifying-men/schedule-results-world-cup-qualifying-men/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Hopefully we can talk about this at length late Tuesday night or early Wednesday ;)

Yeah, I am looking up the potential home and away ties right now.  I know some folks here are superstitious so I wouldn’t post it, but was curious about potential games and dates.  

(I suspect you have mapped into it already)

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I am looking up the potential home and away ties right now.  I know some folks here are superstitious so I wouldn’t post it, but was curious about potential games and dates.  

(I suspect you have mapped into it already)

I've taken a peak myself :D

11 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

TSN.ca has  nothing on their landing pages about the game tonight - nary a word about the match but if I want to read about North Macedonia, then my content needs are fulfilled 

Sportsnet.ca has a link to a P Gallindo article but nothing on then landing page re the match tonight 

To be fair-cbcsports.ca has the match result prominently on the landing page 

so for those Twitter people that complain every match ….why are the games not broadcast on “ regular channels” the answer is academic IMO 

I have actually been delightfully surprised by TSN’s coverage of the games on Sportscentre with post match interviews, showing all the highlights, and sometimes thoughts from their analysts. Definitely a lot better than 5 years ago

Man ! That’s a lot of Football! 
Haiti on Tuesday 

Gold Cup - July 2 to Aug 1

Start of the Third round vs Honduras - September

plus Club football

the A squad SHOULD NOT be called for the gold cup ! Herdman would be a Huge ego proud idiot if he does that. It’s time for B/C team to show what it can do.  The real Goal here should be to Qatar World Cup 2022 

Edited by SpecialK

I had thought about that as well- sending a B team to the Gold Cup.

However consider that the US and Mexico are not sending their A teams to the Gold Cup.  

This could really be a great opportunity for Canada to win the Gold Cup with our A team.  There is some important prestige and experience our fairly young team could win.

That could build exceptional momentum into the final 8.

*edit* Winning an international tournament could also really spike the value of our players in their professional career as well.  Better European clubs and competition could help grow the program.

Edited by baulderdash77

4 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I had thought about that as well- sending a B team to the Gold Cup.

However consider that the US and Mexico are not sending their A teams to the Gold Cup.  

This could really be a great opportunity for Canada to win the Gold Cup with our A team.  There is some important prestige and experience our fairly young team could win.

That could build exceptional momentum into the final 8.

*edit* Winning an international tournament could also really spike the value of our players in their professional career as well.  Better European clubs and competition could help grow the program.

For me the argument to take an A team isn’t even about winning (or doing well).  It is about team cohesion.  Our first Ocho games would potentially be in September and 2 of those 3 games would be difficult.   And the nature of the Ocho is that we will really want to steal a couple of tough games and win (almost) all of the games against the “weaker” opponents.  

Man I would love for us to send the A team or if anything the key A guys (Davies, David, Staq, Kennedy), while trying to blood in new talent like Jebbi, Ayo, Flores, Paton, Dias, Elva....

The gold cup should be used to strengthen our depth, but put a team that can respectfully compete.

I hope we don’t see a B team but for various reasons I’ll understand it.

For example TFC could be depleted.

Re: dyslexic nam’s comment above…Not to mention that it’s an opportunity to (potentially — assuming we get past Martinique and whoever is 4th in our group) test some ideas out against Honduran/Costa Rican/Mexican opposition. Whether they send an A team or B team, Mexico’s tactics will be similar, and a test run with most of our core in the Gold Cup before it really matters in qualifying would be useful. (Tactically, I mean, in addition to your point about cohesion)

Edited by shorty

2 minutes ago, shorty said:

Re: dyslexic nam’s comment above…Not to mention that it’s an opportunity to (potentially — assuming we get past Martinique and whoever is 4th in our group) test some ideas out against Honduran/Costa Rican/Mexican opposition. Whether they send an A team or B team, Mexico’s tactics will be similar, and a test run with most of our core in the Gold Cup before it really matters in qualifying would be useful. (Tactically, I mean, in addition to your point about cohesion)

The margin for error in the Ocho will be so small for every team, dropping points at home or losing away to a “small” team could be the difference between grabbing one of the 1.5 spots realistically up for grabs, or not.  You definitely don’t want to start slow. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

The margin for error in the Ocho will be so small for every team, dropping points at home or losing away to a “small” team could be the difference between grabbing one of the 1.5 spots realistically up for grabs, or not.  You definitely don’t want to start slow. 

Agreed. And not only do you want a chance to try some tactical ideas out on tougher sides, your point about cohesion is even more important when you consider that this current group has never really had to rally around with their backs against the wall. Most of the current squad was there for the 2nd USA game in the CNL and the Haiti Gold Cup game but even only two years gone and those seem like they were a different team. I love how this current squad really do seem like they view the Brotherhood theme as deeper and more genuine than just a vision statement, but the real test of Brotherhood is how you fight for each other when the chips are down. These guys need to feel more of that before the margins get as thin as you describe.  

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me the argument to take an A team isn’t even about winning (or doing well).  It is about team cohesion.  Our first Ocho games would potentially be in September and 2 of those 3 games would be difficult.   And the nature of the Ocho is that we will really want to steal a couple of tough games and win (almost) all of the games against the “weaker” opponents.  

I'd love to see our A squad, but cohesion has to be balanced with resting players.  If our European players play the Gold Cup, they will get no time off during their off season, and that can lead to injuries and fatigue that limits their playing time with their clubs.  We need everyone sharp come September.  

Having said that, I think cohesion and game time should be the priority for the backline.  I expect an MLS heavy squad with the following European players added:

Kennedy -this one is crucial, he needs more caps before September. 

Elva, Twardek and Godinho. 

Paton could also use a look. Manjrekar James has been frozen out for a while now, the GC could be a chance to get him involved once again.  I would also call in Juan Cordova, as I expect Laryea will miss out in favour of a move to Europe.  Same goes for Buchanan.

Starting 11:

-----------------Cavallini---Akinola

------------------Osorio-----Kaye

Gutierrez---------------Piette---------------ZBG

------------Kennedy---Henry---Johnston

-----------------------Crepeau

I'm ok if we send a "B" team to the Gold Cup and I actually look forward to see what some of the newer players can do against good competition as they integrate into our program, there are so many matches in a condensed time frame and I don't think Davies/David/Larin and all can be expected to be available for all of these! I think we can do quite well using some of the youngsters with some veterans thrown in, some players may stake claims for bigger roles in the octagon!

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You might want to check the Panama-Curaçao result again, you got it reversed.

Will say that away goal from the Curaçao makes the return leg interesting.

Yeah I just checked it damn it but honestly I think Curacao can somehow still come back 

• Admin locked this topic