The Road to Qatar.

Binky

15 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

I think Canada would be best served sending in a B squad to the Gold Cup...this will be crucial in developing the depth thats going to hopefully be needed for the 14 games in the Octo

I see it as a depth squad, ideally featuring guys who will be contibutors in the fall.  A-listers based in Europe need a proper break after Tuesday.  MLS A-listers, right?  Hard to say, perhaps depending on a player's desire.  Would Osorio decide to concentrate on club, ditto Kaye?  Piette? Herdman seems like a guy who would incorporate individual players' opinions.  Maybe all the MLS guys would want to be there.  Crepeau would definitely want to solidfy the back up spot behind Borjan and Cava might want to show Herdman that he has what it takes to be the first choice 9 and neither is in jeopardy of losing his starting spot at club.

Edited by BearcatSA

Curacao did well.  Panamas team isn't great but playing there is so tough.

I feel like the next time that footage surfaces of their police hanging out while fans cause a disturbance beside a hotel in the middle of the night they should get docked points by the confed though.  

Though to be fair I have no idea what time the curacao and canada videos were shot, could be 11pm and they got sent home at midnight.

Edited by Footscray

8 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Curacao did well.  Panamas team isn't great but playing there is so tough.

I feel like the next time that footage surfaces of their police hanging out while fans cause a disturbance beside a hotel in the middle of the night they should get docked points by the confed though.  

Though to be fair I have no idea what time the curacao and canada videos were shot, could be 11pm and they got sent home at midnight.

Still think we're underestimating Panama. They're better on paper than they were in 2018, with more guys in Europe and higher end talent (Murillo, Andrade) + Mejia playing very well in Uruguay, guys in the Spanish second division etc. They didn't have any of that in their World Cup run.

2 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Still think we're underestimating Panama. They're better on paper than they were in 2018, with more guys in Europe and higher end talent (Murillo, Andrade) + Mejia playing very well in Uruguay, guys in the Spanish second division etc. They didn't have any of that in their World Cup run.

You could be right, I'm judging them from afar so I'm not tryna say I have it down with certainty, but I don't see much to be afraid of on paper.  A good player from the austrian leagues and a starting goalie from Uruguay are ok pieces but those would be supporting cast on our team.  Andrade is like Kennedy a year ago essentially without even having made the leap up yet. 

Murillo and Rodriguez are the only guys I see there pushing for playing time on the CDN roster, those are two nice pieces, but still nowhere near a CONCACAF best 11.  I like Godoy and Torres too but realistically they are a 32 year old striker with a poor scoring rate and an MLS journeyman.

The big thing with Panama and why I'd prefer Curacao even though they are better on paper is that they get away with ridiculous behavior at away games there that they shouldn't.

I think the CSA should consider if we have to go there away, doing camp in Medellin, Cartegena or San Jose and having your charter go in there in the AM, it's only a 2 hour hop. 

Edited by Footscray

11 minutes ago, Footscray said:

You could be right, I'm judging them from afar so I'm not tryna say I have it down with certainty, but I don't see much to be afraid of on paper.  A good player from the austrian leagues and a starting goalie from Uruguay are ok pieces but those would be supporting cast on our team.  Andrade is like Kennedy a year ago essentially without even having made the leap up yet. 

Murillo and Rodriguez are the only guys I see there pushing for playing time on the CDN roster, those are two nice pieces, but still nowhere near a CONCACAF best 11.  I like Godoy and Torres too but realistically they are a 32 year old striker with a poor scoring rate and an MLS journeyman.

The big thing with Panama and why I'd prefer Curacao even though they are better on paper is that they get away with ridiculous behavior at away games there that they shouldn't.

I think the CSA should consider if we have to go there away, doing camp in Medellin, Cartegena or San Jose and having your charter go in there in the AM, it's only a 2 hour hop. 

Didn't mean we should be afraid of them, just saying they're better than they were in 2018... it's incredible that they got out of the hex. 

Andrade is now a starter for LASK in the Austrian Bundesliga btw, who are only behind Salzburg. Kennedy never got out of the second tier before joining Regensburg.

18 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Checked TSN.ca landing page at 6.10 EST- Nothing on the Canada v Haiti game on the main page-  sliding into broken record territory perhaps but my gosh ....

They did show highlights of the match v Haiti during the England/Croatia match. They also had David on yesterday talking about players like Fonte.

Torn between who I actually want to win between Panama and Curacao. I would think Curacao would be an easier place to play on the road but I can imagine them finding a few new Dutch recruits if they advance to the Ocho making them even stronger. Also not looking forward to the conversation of explaining to people why they should follow the CMNT, and how important this next game in the Ocho is, and they respond Curawho??!!

Edited by johnyb
punctuation

8 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Torn between who I actually want to win between Panama and Curacao. I would think Curacao would be an easier place to play on the road but I can imagine them finding a few new Dutch recruits if they advance to the Ocho making them even stronger. Also not looking forward to the conversation of explaining to people why they should follow the CMNT, and how important this next game in the Ocho is, and they respond Curawho??!!

Panama has recently been to the World Cup, but that probably doesn't amount to much to the average soccer fan, especially considering how they just made up the numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if many have forgotten that Panama was even in WC 2018. 

At least with having Curacao go through you could explain the Dutch connection. Perhaps that would be of a little more interest to "those" people :)

On 6/13/2021 at 3:16 PM, Footscray said:

What happened with Canada that time was an isolated event. What I don't think is difficult to get rid of is that the fans in the stadium are one of the loudest in the area, it is known as the "Extreme Red", capable of gathering 5-6 thousand members of local clubs to support the Panamá national team. However, our fans are not even close to what was reported in stadiums in Honduras or El Salvador.
About spending the night in Cartegena or San Jose before the game seems out of all logic to me. There are excellent 5-star hotels 35 minutes from Panama City, like the Westin Playa Bonita Hotel, where Honduras stayed in 2014. Away from any hypothetical fan disturbance.

7 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

What happened with Canada that time was an isolated event. What I don't think is difficult to get rid of is that the fans in the stadium are one of the loudest in the area, it is known as the "Extreme Red", capable of gathering 5-6 thousand members of local clubs to support the Panamá national team. However, our fans are not even close to what was reported in stadiums in Honduras or El Salvador.
About spending the night in Cartegena or San Jose before the game seems out of all logic to me. There are excellent 5-star hotels 35 minutes from Panama City, like the Westin Playa Bonita Hotel, where Honduras stayed in 2014. Away from any hypothetical fan disturbance.

This is where Herdman's meticulous planning and attention to  detail will really help. He will make sure that these logistics are dealt with way in advance.

5 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Sure didn't look like it on Saturday

Lol you’re right. They forgot where they came from. 
But I feel like every Canadian player knows the ball bounces dead and up on turf pitches on a hot summer day. 

I played in Spain, and they watered the pitches at the youth level. I hate how it’s not a thing in Canada. Dry ass, hot, rubbery field. Slide tackles giving you instant burns. 

Ahh...how I miss playing some soccer on those fields.

Edited by Shway

• Admin locked this topic