Gold Cup - June 19th 2019 - Canada vs Mexico

apbsmith

So much to say ... 

I usually stay off threads in game cause I do enough yelling at the TV. 

1) 4-3-3 please going forward. 

2) I hope the lack of CBs called doesn't come back to haunt us. Annoying Mexico scored the first goal towards end of 1st half with us having 10 men and Cornelius on the sidelines.

3) Big ask for ZBG and RT in that formation, it showed. 

4) king 1010 to answer your question... I firmly believe both England and Belgium tried taking the L in the last World Cup for favorable matchup.... The Japanese women team in the Olympics also stands out.   *I think CRC would have "unintentionally" done what they had to do, to play us*.... 

Look at the positives now though... Costa Rica and Haiti are gonna play full tilt to make sure they win match day 3 and play us, let's punish them! 

I'm happy with the effort and heart the boys showed and excellent learning experience. In my eyes the result was to be expected, obviously wanted a results but a positive is  2 of the 3 goals conceded were quite unfortunate.

Edited by apbsmith

Credit to Canada in the final 30 minutes.  Looked much better and very positive.  This is not even a regular group of Mexican players but they understand the system so well that anyone can slide in and fit in.  And we showed that we are not yet there.  We also lack defense clearly.  Personally I think we had players out of position and the lineup formation was wrong.  I also think we rested too many starters.  If anything rest Arfield, Osorio, David, Hoilett, Atiba etc. against Cuba and have them ready to go in the quarter finals.  

ZBG was challenged in this match and it was good to see what his true level is. He's handled everything thrown at him for Montreal and Canada so far, but Mexico are just another class entirely and it forced him into errors.

Still though, considering he's only at 20 years of age, he has his whole career in front of him, as does Davies and David as well. Each of them made mistakes at times, but each showed moments of quality against this Mexican side, which is absolutely top quality. Even ZBG settled into the game later in the second half, once the subs came on and there was a formation change. I think he looked more comfortable as a fullback than a wing back. Just one of many things Herdman learned tonight, I'm sure.

Cavallini is an absolute beast not only physically, but mentally. There were times tonight where he beat his opponent using shear desire and a willingness not to give up. 

Perhaps it may go unnoticed, but Cornelius quietly had a very good game. A few of his passes were intercepted, but his composure to play out of the back on numerous occasions really helped the team. I was impressed to see him do well with this level of play and it will do his confidence a world of good when he goes back to Vancouver.

15 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

What I learned from this match.

Mexico is scary with their press, and calm in the back... until you break their press with a calm pass & pressure their backline. Then they look ordinary.

Also we could've had a couple more goals but Martinique could have said the same thing on Saturday.

I think it's all about having the guts to play through them. We must learn to trust in our ability to pass through it. I think the boys would have realized they can do just that after our second half flurry.

14 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The last 30 minutes being key. Ultimately what I and many others saw was that Herdman set up the team to lose. That play and that formation in the first half reminded me of Floroball.

You'd need another 4 Centerbacks playing out of position for it to come close to Floro-ball.

If the Mexican player is red-carded for the flagrant foul on Cavallini as last man back (he wasn't even given an yellow, ridiculously IMO), or if Davies puts away that chance to tie it up at 1-1 and then we bring on most of the big boys (minus Hoilett who didn't even play) would the same people come out and say that Herdman was a genius? I wouldn't but then I'm not saying that he was to blame for the loss either. Any time we play a team that over-matches us, we're going to have to take some kind of risk. As much as I might have liked the line-up we ended with to start, I can see what why Herdman did what he did and we weren't that far off, given most of the goals came from individual (rather than tactical) errors. Quite frankly I was impressed that Mr. Tedtalk Kumba-ya-my-lord Brotherhood coach was willing to stand up to a much higher and bigger profile (and I mean that in more ways than one) like that when they had their little spat and I bet the bench appreciated as well.

Mind you, I also liked the Osorio "fuck off" to the camera man who was trying to get in on the inner circle there. I would have liked to have seen one given to the officiating crew who seemed to call everything that was 50/50 Mexico's way, including even putting a nice pic on MAK when we were having a dangerous attack.

Edited by Gian-Luca

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

ZBG was challenged in this match and it was good to see what his true level is. He's handled everything thrown at him for Montreal and Canada so far, but Mexico are just another class entirely and it forced him into errors.

Still though, considering he's only at 20 years of age, he has his whole career in front of him, as does Davies and David as well. Each of them made mistakes at times, but each showed moments of quality against this Mexican side, which is absolutely top quality. Even ZBG settled into the game later in the second half, once the subs came on and there was a formation change. I think he looked more comfortable as a fullback than a wing back. Just one of many things Herdman learned tonight, I'm sure.

I think almost everyone played better after those 3 subs came on!  Amazing what 3 subs and a formation change can do.. Albeit a Mexico side that stepped off the pedal a bit.

42 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Again clueless ever heard of sarcasm?

Seriously let’s give Lofty the national team job!!!!

he’d do Soo much better.

I love these armchair never actually coached or played at any level thinking fans they know more then people who get paid to do the job...

i have an UEFA A license played professionally and coached professionally and I dont pretend to know have as much as you do...I’m done 

That @Lofty for you, don't get discouraged, he's having a bad run these last few weeks.

33 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

What I learned from this match.

Mexico is scary with their press, and calm in the back... until you break their press with a calm pass & pressure their backline. Then they look ordinary.

Also we could've had a couple more goals but Martinique could have said the same thing on Saturday.

And what I learned from this thread is the Corazon is the new tg11

- I would call this a mediocre performance by Canada. Yes, they had a decent spell in the 2nd half, but that was when Mexico was already 2-nil up. I'm not sure it would have been the same had the score been tied, or Mexico down.

- I am not really a fan of Herdman trying to put a square peg in a round hole. We need a proper back 4, but with the roster he called that is not really an option. Hence all the experimentation. Questionable.

- I thought Kaye was fantastic in the middle of the park. Better than Piette in my opinion, and I like Piette.

- I don't think Canada went "toe-to-toe" with Mexico as some have said. They were in control almost all game, and never looked like losing or even drawing. What was the possession in the 1st half again?

That being said, I do think Canada could give Mexico a better test. It's just such a shame we don't have the likes of James, Cordova, Adekube available to add some stability and familiarity to the backline.

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I was watching the Fox stream and they were surprised at Canada's performance. They didn't see it coming.

It was an admirable performance and we showed a lot of heart and fight . True Mexican fans aren't  dummies.

1) they scored a goal w us at 10 men

2) they scored an own goal

3) they are confused why Cav didn't go down like he got hit by a sniper with a clear path on goal  on that play. Could have very well been a Mexican red card and/or PK for us...props to Cav playing through, shame on that ref.

One step at a time, but let's roll Cuba and get ready for a HUGE GAME in the QF.

Edited by apbsmith

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

When Hutchinson pushed up to midfield with Arfield, there was a rejuvenation and excitement that came immediately. That’s what I’m taking from this game. We have something here. It will come. 

Calm down. No matter who we called up, who started, how we lined up.. It was always going to be a great challenge to beat Mexico. They're a top 15-20 footballing nation in the world. 

Given the circumstances of it not being a critical match to win, on a short turn around I see no problem with the tactics of bunkering for 60 minutes to keep it close then rolling the dice over the last 30. I think Herdman learned a lot about the team tonight that we simply wouldn't have known.

I expect Millar to get the start over Davies next game, excited to see what the youngster can do. He's got great genes (how's that for pandering to spitfire)

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

- I would call this a mediocre performance by Canada. Yes, they had a decent spell in the 2nd half, but that was when Mexico was already 2-nil up. I'm not sure it would have been the same had the score been tied, or Mexico down.

- I am not really a fan of Herdman trying to put a square peg in a round hole. We need a proper back 4, but with the roster he called that is not really an option. Hence all the experimentation. Questionable.

- I thought Kaye was fantastic in the middle of the park. Better than Piette in my opinion, and I like Piette.

- I don't think Canada went "toe-to-toe" with Mexico as some have said. They were in control almost all game, and never looked like losing or even drawing. What was the possession in the 1st half again?

That being said, I do think Canada could give Mexico a better test. It's just such a shame we don't have the likes of James, Cordova, Adekube available to add some stability and familiarity to the backline.

I agree with almost all of this except for the assumption that Mexico took their foot off the gas. For me, they were pressing just as hard but Arfield was able to soak up the pressure and connect a pass. It broke their lines. 

Herdman learned a lot about a lot of things tonight. As did the players. I am glad he made the second half changes and formation change. Doing so, along with what he learned in the first half, will help us make big improvements going forward. Experimenting here might seem ill-advised, but I cannot think of a better situation for doing what he did. The loss is beside the point. We will beat Cuba on Sunday. But now Herdman has a much clearer sense of his starting 11 for when we face Costa Rica, and knows the formation to employ. He also knows that he’s got to work doubly hard to sort out the back line, not so much for this tournament, but longer term. (Okay, yes, he’s got to find some way to get this back line through the tournament, but you get my point. One idea, super controversial round these parts: Davies at left back.) 

Mexico scored because of a couple of poor giveaways on our part. We had some stellar chances, buried one, and played some good football for 30 minutes.  And we know a few things we might not have known prior to this game: MAK over Piette. Cavallini over Larin. Arfield and Hutch and MAK in the midfield is dynamite. This team needs more games against good teams so guys like JBG and Davies and Millar can develop into better and better players. Borjan is even better than he was two years ago. We need to work hard to strengthen our options on the back line. (Cornelius and Henry were mostly good tonight, mind you.)

This was a bigger step forward tonight then we might currently appreciate. We will see if I am right over the next several games.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

You have to think further ahead. It is about the tournament, not this one game.

Yeah. I am. Beat Mexico. Rest vs Cuba. Easy 1st round match. 

Now we have to beat Cuba. Unlikely we don't make it but you need to actually play now. 

And Costa Rica is far better then Haiti

Can’t be too disappointed with the result overall.  Pretty horrendous mistake by SBG on the first and you could tell Henry hasn’t played in a few weeks so it was nice to get him out there.

Teibert though, man hopefully he’s not Herdman’s boy because is he ever average.  Does he ever play a ball that isn’t wirh the inside of his left foot?  The irony is that his best attribute is technical ability but it’s confined to the inside of his left foot.  He’s small and average speed and was weak tonight at LB.  If we ever want to go anywhere as a nation we need to move on from that level of player.  Ditto for Johnson, though at least he has a track record.