Gold Cup - June 19th 2019 - Canada vs Mexico

apbsmith

With 3 BIG points behind us, an impressive offensive display, it's now onto the next match!

My thoughts:

1) I'd like to see ZBG, Henry(if healthy) & Cav start for sure. I think Cav's hold up play/ability will be very important this game. 

2) The midfield rotation will happen, I am still undecided what I'd like, but intrigued what the boss decides. 

3) Does Herdman test/challenge some young guys by giving them a start (Miller/Millar). 

4) Me personally, I know it's a massive test/ask and it would be sweaty, but if Kamal Miller started I would not even be mad. I do think Herdman probably starts Cornelius though and gives Cornelius the night off vs Cuba. 

...... Formation wise:

5) does Herdman stick with his 4-3-3, full backs bombing down the flanks, followed by the 2 CB's splitting across the back and the DM drops back to support the D.... or does Herdman completely change it up vs the #1 team in the region?

6) Tata Martino plays that very same active 4-3-3 , he did this with ATL United and now has the Mexican national team doing the same. 

At the end of day, I want us to be competitive as possible in this match as we do have a chance to win the group. However,  I know the bigger goal is to keep everyone as fresh and healthy for the entire tourney. 

Thoughts?

Hard to say what our lineup will be, depends on how serious Herdman is about winning vs. conserving energy for an easy Cuba win.

Ideally I'd like to see Davies, Henry, Cornelius, ZBG in defence.

Kaye, Hutchinson, Arfield in some three across or triangular configuration

David, Hoilett on either side further forward and Cavallini at ST

That's a defensive-minded setup that's still capable of playing through the middle, long for hold up, or hitting on the fast break.

As much as I been the anti Davies at LB for the CMNT, I think it might be time to test it out. Especially with his wheels ,energy and ability to win tackles.

Davies passing, decision making and positional awareness/vision was very very good last night.  He looked beyond strong and confident on the ball last night, I felt he constantly made the right decision with little to no hesitation.

On a side note, you can definitely tell how hard this kid has been working at Bayern and how much the coaching has improved his game, in what 1/2 a year? 

At the end of day... an attacking LB that is strong on the ball? What's not to like? Especially if it allows a front 3 of Hoilett, Cav, David.

Edited by apbsmith

The Davies question is an interesting one - especially against a team like Mexico.

Do you use him at LB, where he is probably more effective than our other options and which would free up Kaye to be in central midfield?

or

Do you use him up top in an effort to spark our offence against a tougher opponent and keep Mexico from surging forward too aggressively knowing that leaving spaces behind would be dangerous with a guy like Davies attacking?

Tough one.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

The Davies question is an interesting one - especially against a team like Mexico.

Do you use him at LB, where he is probably more effective than our other options and which would free up Kaye to be in central midfield?

or

Do you use him up top in an effort to spark our offence against a tougher opponent and keep Mexico from surging forward too aggressively knowing that leaving spaces behind would be dangerous with a guy like Davies attacking?

Tough one.

100% agree it's a tough one, at same time if they are going to try it... Why not vs #1 team in region? It's a game that matters, but not a life or death game.

At the same time with squad rotation, we might see someone like Morgan get the nod, who knows. 

Lots of unanswered questions and theories leading up to this game, that's for sure!

Keeping Davies and David higher up the pitch might help keep Mexico honest. In the first half against Cuba they really pushed their fullbacks up into attack and often had 6-7 players in the box. I think Kaye is strong enough to defend solidly, and crafty enough to break Mexico's press, which might allow Davies and David to attack an open field where they're strongest. I think we could hurt Mexico in an open game, but it really depends on tactics against a stronger opponent. We've yet to see Herdman's style in these situations.

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

or

Tough one.

Davies at LW.  He's defensively responsible and we'll be on the back heel for most of the game, but he can then stretch the mexican team with his pace.  Mexico is not the team against which we want to play with a marauding LB, the backline has to play defense first.  I also expect Kaye and Piette to tandem in front of them.  The means either Morgan or Miller at LB.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Keeping Davies and David higher up the pitch might help keep Mexico honest. In the first half against Cuba they really pushed their fullbacks up into attack and often had 6-7 players in the box. I think Kaye is strong enough to defend solidly, and crafty enough to break Mexico's press, which might allow Davies and David to attack an open field where they're strongest. I think we could hurt Mexico in an open game, but it really depends on tactics against a stronger opponent. We've yet to see Herdman's style in these situations.

I love Kaye, it’s a really good midfielder but can everyone jus be honest here and get this stupid MLS bubble out of their heads, it’s the same with Piette. Every interview and comment I see it’s all about them bla bla bla and Nothing about Arfield or Hutch. 

Arfield is a  former English Premier league midfielder - 86 games, Hutch Canada’s best  midfielder   in world ! Has played  against huge clubs and against the worlds best .

Kaye and Piette are MLS midfielders ! Yes are young and playing well and pretty good. But It’s MLS!!!!!! We are going up against Mexico 18th ranked in the world ! Best in CONCACF, we have  opportunity to kick the shit out of them with this team because of the fire power we have.  Yes this is not a do or die game but this is a huge game, a statement game. Canada needs it’s best players out their playing in natural positions. 

Davies needs to be up top, Morgan at LB (  remember he played really well against Mexican teams with TFC) , Henry needs to play (  I believe he will be playing,  he was training pretty hard in those videos ) , David needs to be playing with Cavallini.

Canada needs in my view to just attack the hell out of Mexico, wave after wave. We can beat Mexico ! 

AB8B0A1C-ED4D-4338-9A80-02FB6235F65C.jpeg

Edited by SpecialK

45 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I love Kaye, it’s a really good midfielder but can everyone jus be honest here and get this stupid MLS bubble out of their heads, it’s the same with Piette. Every interview and comment I see it’s all about them bla bla bla and Nothing about Arfield or Hutch. 

Arfield is a  former English Premier league midfielder - 86 games, Hutch Canada’s best  midfielder   in world ! Has played  against huge clubs and against the worlds best .

Kaye and Piette are MLS midfielders ! Yes are young and playing well and pretty good. But It’s MLS!!!!!! We are going up against Mexico 18th ranked in the world ! Best in CONCACF, we have  opportunity to kick the **** out of them with this team because of the fire power we have.  Yes this is not a do or die game but this is a huge game, a statement game. Canada needs it’s best players out their playing in natural positions. 

Davies needs to be up top, Morgan at LB (  remember he played really well against Mexican teams with TFC) , Henry needs to play (  I believe he will be playing,  he was training pretty hard in those videos ) , David needs to be playing with Cavallini.

Canada needs in my view to just attack the hell out of Mexico, wave after wave. We can beat Mexico ! 

AB8B0A1C-ED4D-4338-9A80-02FB6235F65C.jpeg

You’re doing a huge disservice to MAK’s quality IMO.  

Nobody is saying MAK is better than Arfield or Hutch though. Dont even think Arfield is the same type of player as MAK. People on here love Arfield. Lots of great things said about him. 

What did MAK do to you? Lol

Edited by king1010

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

You’re doing a huge disservice to MAK’s quality IMO.  

Nobody is saying MAK is better than Arfield or Hutch though. Dont even think Arfield is the same player as MAK. People on here love Arfield. Lots of great things said about him. 

What did MAK do to you? Lol

Just anybody-is-better-than-MLS thinking. FWIW, Mexico had a hat trick from the only MLSer that started for them yesterday, Antuna. Jimenez from Wolves bagged 2. They also have J. Dos Santos in their squad.

And of course Jamaica beat Mexico last edition with a handful of MLSers, then lost to the USA in the final (almost all MLSers), albeit Mexico probably had a slightly weaker squad last time - but the entirety of it were from Liga MX.

The quotes from Herdman definitely make it sound as if we will not play our best lineup against Mexico.  We only need to beat Cuba to get out of the group and the important game against Mexico is the semi-final if we make it that far. No use tipping your hand and letting Mexico see your best lineup now.  I'd sit both Davies and David and not let Mexico get a glimpse of what's waiting for them until the potential rematch.  And if Henry is still injured at all I'd wait to play him as long as possible.  He has enough experience playing with this group he can step right in as soon as he's fully healthy.

3 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Just anybody-is-better-than-MLS thinking. FWIW, Mexico had a hat trick from the only MLSer that started for them yesterday, Antuna. Jimenez from Wolves bagged 2. They also have J. Dos Santos in their squad.

And of course Jamaica beat Mexico last edition with a handful of MLSers, then lost to the USA in the final (almost all MLSers), albeit Mexico probably had a slightly weaker squad last time - but the entirety of it were from Liga MX.

Shi*ty mls guy just scored a beauty goal for Uruguay against Ecuador in the copa america

Edited by king1010

I'm really excited for this game. I do feel like we give up at least 3 goals though. I think if we put in a good showing I'll be really happy. Huge test for some of our younger players especially a guy like Cornelius or maybe even Miller if he gets a chance at the back. These are really important games to learn for a young defender. Hoping ZBG starts as well. 

Like I said win or lose as long as we play well or look completely lost out there I'll be quite happy. I'd love a draw honestly. 

I think the more people see Davies play the more they will realize unlike a Hoilett and David.. Davies is affective all over the pitch and in the offensive 3rd he's so dangerous running at people because he draws doubles which opens space for other people and Davies will find them. People just invision him as an Mbappe or something but really he doesn't have that killer goal scorers instinct but he is a more well rounded footballer

Edited by SpursFlu